Third Parties

Has anybody here ever voted for a third party candidate in a Presidential Election  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Has anybody here ever voted for a third party candidate in a Presidential Election

• Yes (feel free to post who you voted for)
    • No
    • I don't share this information
    • I don't vote (because I am either too young or too ignorant)
    • I do not live in the United States, therefore I do not participate in U.S. presidential elections.

My teacher said she voted for John Anderson (I believe that was the name she said) in 1980 over Reagan and Carter. She said that she regrets it because Reagan did a great job, and so she went with Reagan over Mondale in 84.

A third party coming into power would be a disaster for the US. We have legislative grid lock now when one party tries to clock another's initiative. Imagine if tyhey were trying to get anything acoomplished in a three party system.

Imagine if everyone below was playing a different song . . .

:snr

as one man put it, we're slaves to the middle. neither side gives us any reason to care about elections, just like they want it. hey, if 20 people voted they'd love it.

third parties? I thought for a minute that someone was signing over a check to me.

A third party coming into power would be a disaster for the US. We have legislative grid lock now when one party tries to clock another's initiative. Imagine if tyhey were trying to get anything acoomplished in a three party system.

we need one world government and Isreal needs to rebuild the temple...

the end is nye!

Had I not lived in Florida in 2000 I would gave gone Green and voted for Nader. We knew it was going to be close in FL and couldn't afford the luxery of voting our conciounsce (sp?), so President-in-Exile Gore got my vote.

There are actually two really good recap of all the Bush Brothers misdeeds re the Floirida vote in 2000 included as the Preface and Afterward of Michale Moore's "Stupid White People." Moore recounts a trip to the a Florida state universoty as part of the he took on behalf of the Nader campaign. He put two and two together before most people did, and actually got up and said 'I live in Michigan where Gore's a lock so I can vote for Nader without the possibility of inadvertently helping Bush. Here in Florida you don't because it's too close, so maybe you DON'T WANT TO VOTE FOR MY GUY. Nader was ticked but understood the rationale. Gov. Jeb Bush is the one who was most upset, because he/the state had actually invited Moore down to the speaking engagement just before the election SPECIFICALLY to chip away at Gore's votes. He caught up with Moore just as as getting ready to fly out and his sour attitude clued Moore into what had just happened.

Alas, all for naught. between purging the voter rolls of suspected felons plus a margin of error of 30%, geting Catherine Harris in play to block any and all equitable resolutions at the state level, and having the US Supreme Court wipe their collective arses with the Constitution by pulling the plug on the whole thing when it got too close to overturning the results, the fraudulent Prez was in.

I guess it is good to be the King.

Had I not lived in Florida in 2000 I would gave gone Green and voted for Nader.  We knew it was going to be close in FL and couldn't afford the luxery of voting our conciounsce (sp?), so President-in-Exile Gore got my vote.

There are actually two really good recap of all the Bush Brothers misdeeds re the Floirida vote in 2000 included as the Preface and Afterward of Michale Moore's "Stupid White People."  Moore recounts a trip to the a Florida state universoty as part of the he took on behalf of the Nader campaign.  He put two and two together before most people did, and actually got up and said 'I live in Michigan where Gore's a lock so I can vote for Nader without the possibility of inadvertently helping Bush.  Here in Florida you don't because it's too close, so maybe you DON'T WANT TO VOTE FOR MY GUY.  Nader was ticked but understood the rationale.  Gov. Jeb Bush is the one who was most upset, because he/the state had actually invited Moore down to the speaking engagement just before the election SPECIFICALLY to chip away at Gore's votes.  He caught up with Moore just as as getting ready to fly out and his sour attitude clued Moore into what had just happened.

Alas, all for naught.  between purging the voter rolls of suspected felons plus a margin of error of 30%, geting Catherine Harris in play to block any and all equitable resolutions at the state level, and having the US Supreme Court wipe their collective arses with the Constitution by pulling the plug on the whole thing when it got too close to overturning the results, the fraudulent Prez was in.

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn.....

oh excuse me, I'm awake now

Had I not lived in Florida in 2000 I would gave gone Green and voted for Nader.  We knew it was going to be close in FL and couldn't afford the luxery of voting our conciounsce (sp?), so President-in-Exile Gore got my vote.

There are actually two really good recap of all the Bush Brothers misdeeds re the Floirida vote in 2000 included as the Preface and Afterward of Michale Moore's "Stupid White People."  Moore recounts a trip to the a Florida state universoty as part of the he took on behalf of the Nader campaign.  He put two and two together before most people did, and actually got up and said 'I live in Michigan where Gore's a lock so I can vote for Nader without the possibility of inadvertently helping Bush.  Here in Florida you don't because it's too close, so maybe you DON'T WANT TO VOTE FOR MY GUY.  Nader was ticked but understood the rationale.  Gov. Jeb Bush is the one who was most upset, because he/the state had actually invited Moore down to the speaking engagement just before the election SPECIFICALLY to chip away at Gore's votes.  He caught up with Moore just as as getting ready to fly out and his sour attitude clued Moore into what had just happened.

Alas, all for naught.  between purging the voter rolls of suspected felons plus a margin of error of 30%, geting Catherine Harris in play to block any and all equitable resolutions at the state level, and having the US Supreme Court wipe their collective arses with the Constitution by pulling the plug on the whole thing when it got too close to overturning the results, the fraudulent Prez was in.

I thought "Stupid White People" was about the good voters of South Florida who forgot how to vote :huh:

Of course it could also be the term given to the people screaming minorities were turned away, failing to notice that those same minorities were not registered voters. Lets bend the law so minorities who didn't register can vote!

Lets bend the law so minorities who didn't register can vote!

Actually, it was, let's bend the law by purging the voter rolls of not only convicted felons, but also an additional +30% of false hits. The computer company hired to purge the data bases came back to the state and said, this is way too many false hits and we can't ethically do this, Jeb said do it anyway and so it was done.

Just one small example of the systematic whittling down of the FL voters who weren't planning on voting for Big Brother Dubya.

Actually, it was, let's bend the law by purging the voter rolls of not only convicted felons, but also an additional +30% of false hits.  The computer company hired to purge the data bases came back to the state and said, this is way too many false hits and we can't ethically do this, Jeb said do it anyway and so it was done.

Just one small example of the systematic whittling down of the FL voters who weren't planning on voting for Big Brother Dubya.

I don't think this argument can be won by either side.

Actually, it was, let's bend the law by purging the voter rolls of not only convicted felons, but also an additional +30% of false hits.  The computer company hired to purge the data bases came back to the state and said, this is way too many false hits and we can't ethically do this, Jeb said do it anyway and so it was done.

True. Next round's on me.

There's always more time for sociopolitical discourse in the off season, isn't there? How many days until Winter Meetings?

True. Next round's on me.

There's always more time for sociopolitical discourse in the off season, isn't there? How many days until Winter Meetings?

At least the 2000 election fiasco provided for some great SNL episodes.

Have you read "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" by Greg Palast by any chance?

It goes quite in depth about the 2000 election. He works for the BBC and the Guardian in England but is from America. Anyway, the BBC coverage of the election started and his interest was piqued by black voters having trouble voting. So, he got the voter rolls from Katherine Harris and ChoicePoint [the company that did the voter roll purging] Over 57,700 were removed from the voter rolls for reasons such as "Felony committed on Jan. 17, 2007" And that was for a lot of people. Not to mention that Harris told ChoicePoint to not make phone call verifications of voters [i mean, there are like 19 different men in one city alone in Florida that have the same name...so how do they know they have the right man of the 19?] Even an election director in Florida was purged for being a felon...when she wasn't.

There is a lot more, it's all in Palast's book and on his web page www.gregpalast.com

Have you read "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" by Greg Palast by any chance? 

It goes quite in depth about the 2000 election.  He works for the BBC and the Guardian in England but is from America.  Anyway, the BBC coverage of the election started and his interest was piqued by black voters having trouble voting.  So, he got the voter rolls from Katherine Harris and ChoicePoint [the company that did the voter roll purging]  Over 57,700 were removed from the voter rolls for reasons such as "Felony committed on Jan. 17, 2007"  And that was for a lot of people.  Not to mention that Harris told ChoicePoint to not make phone call verifications of voters [i mean, there are like 19 different men in one city alone in Florida that have the same name...so how do they know they have the right man of the 19?]  Even an election director in Florida was purged for being a felon...when she wasn't.

There is a lot more, it's all in Palast's book and on his web page www.gregpalast.com

ChoicePoint, thanks. I could not recall the company's name. I have not read that, but IIRC that is where a lot of Moore's numbers came from. Odd that it toook a Brit (I guess an Yankee/Brit) to ferret some of this stuff out, huh?

My "to read" list grows a little bit each month -- much faster than I can keep up with. This one's on the list now, too.

Good point. You might actually see Repubs and Democrats work together though, if only to stonewall anything the 3d party guy tries to do.

Good point. You might actually see Repubs and Democrats work together though, if only to stonewall anything the 3d party guy tries to do.

Except for the Libertarians, Reforms, and US Taxpayers party. They're either right wing nuts, or just plain out bat-s*** crazy.

Oh yeah, I voted for Nader in 2000. Voted in Indiana - when you know Bush is going to get 65 - 70% there you dont have to vote against who you dont like, you can vote your conscience.

No offense or nothing, because the Bush administration did seek to use unfair voting practices to make sure the vote in FLA sung to the Repubs in 2000.... but Michael Moore is a fat ass clown who has as much regard for actual facts and truth as Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly.

No offense or nothing, because the Bush administration did seek to use unfair voting practices to make sure the vote in FLA sung to the Repubs in 2000.... but Michael Moore is a fat ass clown who has as much regard for actual facts and truth as Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly.

No offense taken. I do think it's good that Michael Moore and people like him are out stirring things up even if I don't agree with everything he says. At the end of the day, Moore needs to sell books or movie tix, so sure he needs to be over the top on things sometimes.