8/19 Gamethread: White Sox vs. The Artist Formerly Known As The I****ns, Lynn vs. McKenzie

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

You could have had both.  Or a comp pick and more draft money.  

Lol.  But they had no money in the budget so they couldn't have offered Rodon the QO, does no one get this.  You are at roughly 180 million with 200 the max, you can't offer Rodon the QO bc if he takes it your offseason was done.  No Cueto, no Kelly, no Harrison, etc. 

9 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Anyone see the post game presser tonight? He looked like he didn’t know where he was at, couldn’t understand what he was saying and at one point I think he forgot what he was talking about. I Seriously think something is wrong with him 

Throw all of the horrible managerial decisions aside. How do the front office personnel listen to that and not think "Ya know, maybe this guy isn't the right guy for the position?"

They are too stubborn and full of ego that they won't do it. Or they're just dense.

• Like 2

Just now, Tony said:

To be clear, you've gone out of your way to defend Rick Hahn tonight, and are now making a post, on August 19th, 2022 discussing how this team can "rebuild" and "having something going in a couple seasons" when earlier this calendar year, the same Rick Hahn told us this club had World Series expectations. 

Yup.  He isn't allowed to fire TLR who i believe is the sole cause of the catastrophe.  With any reasonable manager (let alone a good one) we are up 8-10 right now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Throw all of the horrible managerial decisions aside. How do the front office personnel listen to that and not think "Ya know, maybe this guy isn't the right guy for the position?"

They are too stubborn and full of ego that they won't do it. Or they're just dense.

They know he isn't.  JR is best friends with Tony and will not let him be fired under any circumstance

16 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Tony looks like he is on the verge of death after these games in the post-game interviews.  He mumbles, gets confused, and looks out of it.  Great fucking hire JR.   

He needs to go for a neurological evaluation.  Take a leave of absence.  He is not making sense.  He is an embarrassment to the Sox and to MLB.  MLB is trying to attract younger fans and we throw this dinosaur at them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8th time this year the Sox had a lead in the 7th inning or later and lost.

They have now scored three runs or less in 60 out of 120 games played...50%. I have no idea how that compares to other teams but on the surface that seems pretty bad to me.

The 'baseball gods' have a strange sense of humor don't they? TLR in the pregame saying why he decided to play Grandal (paraphrasing 'he's getting hot') and what happens? They have a chance to really blow the game open in the first inning, really put McKenzie on the ropes...and he hits into a DP.

What can you do?

Like I tried to explain in another thread, the rot and dysfunction in this organization goes a lot deeper than an overmatched manager.

And with Eloy getting hurt yet again, will the Sox wait a week before putting him on the IL? Will Rick Hahn get visible upset the next time a media person says or writes that he's "injury prone?" like what happened earlier this season?

Looks like the bullpen stunk tonight which it will do time to time in this modern era. Do any teams have 3-4 reliable relievers they use night after night like the old Royals formula of having a guy for the 7th, 8th and 9th when they won it all?  I'm assuming the Sox are one of many teams with lousy bullpens in this era. 

I'd be a happy camper if the Sox had starters who could go 7 solid innings per start. I feel better using just 2 relievers per game. Sox aren't gonna beat anybody (on most nights) when they have to use multiple relievers.

5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Yup.  He isn't allowed to fire TLR who i believe is the sole cause of the catastrophe.  With any reasonable manager (let alone a good one) we are up 8-10 right now 

mommy-i-want-to-be-an-astronaut-when-i-g

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They have now scored three runs or less in 60 out of 120 games played...50%. I have no idea how that compares to other teams but on the surface that seems pretty bad to me.

The 'baseball gods' have a strange sense of humor don't they? TLR in the pregame saying why he decided to play Grandal (paraphrasing 'he's getting hot') and what happens? They have a chance to really blow the game open in the first inning, really put McKenzie on the ropes...and he hits into a DP.

What can you do?

Like I tried to explain in another thread, the rot and dysfunction in this organization goes a lot deeper than an overmatched manager.

And with Eloy getting hurt yet again, will the Sox wait a week before putting him on the IL? Will Rick Hahn get visible upset the next time a media person says or writes that he's "injury prone?" like what happened earlier this season?

I didn't watch tonight; what happened to Eloy?  p.s. Why didn't the Sox draft homegrown mike massey. KC took him 4th round, He looks like a guy (unlike madrigal) who might hold down a position for many many years. Seems to make contact and have a clue.

Edited by greg775

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pollock has been an awful addition.  He’s sucked vs RHP, and now we might get stuck with him next year.

Ít all started with trading for Kimbrel.  We did not need a second closer.  What we needed instead was a quality left handed outfielder instead. At the end we ended with a costly Pollock and no Madrigal.

31 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

RH has not been at the helm.  He is under KW until KW officially moved to VP or whether like 2 years ago 

There is some truth to what you say absolutely...however, Hahn has been in change since the start of the 2013 season, the win/lost record goes on his slate. It's very possible he's about to have his eighth losing season in 10 years. The vast majority of his signings/acquisitions has put up negative WAR rankings when they were with the Sox. And remember the Sox weren't always "rebuilding" in those years, some years they were trying to compete and he couldn't even produce a team that would finish with a winning record.

He's a lawyer/contract negotiator pretending to be a G.M. He was very good at that before he was given the G.M. role but he clearly isn't fit for this current job and I can't think of to many organizations that would keep him given the results as long as the Sox have.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I didn't watch tonight; what happened to Eloy?  p.s. Why didn't the Sox draft homegrown mike massey. KC took him 4th round, He looks like a guy (unlike madrigal) who might hold down a position for many many years. Seems to make contact and have a clue.

In the 8th inning on a swinging strike he appeared to twist his right leg/knee/ankle and limped around. He never finished the at-bat.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Looks like the bullpen stunk tonight which it will do time to time in this modern era. Do any teams have 3-4 reliable relievers they use night after night like the old Royals formula of having a guy for the 7th, 8th and 9th when they won it all?  I'm assuming the Sox are one of many teams with lousy bullpens in this era. 

I'd be a happy camper if the Sox had starters who could go 7 solid innings per start. I feel better using just 2 relievers per game. Sox aren't gonna beat anybody (on most nights) when they have to use multiple relievers.

I mean our top 3-4 RP's didn't even warm up, maybe we should have used them in a must win game vs the cobbled together low leverage guys in almost the 8th inning.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

What can you do?

Grandal may be getting hot in TLR’s mind, but Sheets was already hot, 4-4 in last game and hitting for many xtra base hits last few games.  He was left on the bench. TLR incompetence is incredible.  In 99% of other organizations, he would have been fired by now or would not have been hired in the first place past retirement age.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Massey was a medical red flag.  He hurt his back deadlifting in college.  It's a permanent condition he's going to have to manage for the rest of his life.  I absolutely love the Kid and hope he has a long productive Chase Utley-like career but I can't knock any team for passing on him because a back injury is as bad as it gets and once it goes you're done.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

There is some truth to what you say absolutely...however, Hahn has been in change since the start of the 2013 season, the win/lost record goes on his slate. It's very possible he's about to have his eighth losing season in 10 years. The vast majority of his signings/acquisitions has put up negative WAR rankings when they were with the Sox.

He's a lawyer/contract negotiator pretending to be a G.M. He was very good at that before he was given the G.M. role but he clearly isn't fit for this current job and I can't think of to many organizations that would keep him given the results as long as the Sox have.

I mean Hahn wanted to go all out for Machado and Harper....KW and/or JR said nope.  It happens all the time, unlike real MLB organizations that the GM has a lot of freedom Hahn literally has none.  He is GM in name only while JR is mostly making the decisions, if we want changes he needs to sell the team.  JR refuses to hand out big contracts that means any legit player is off limits for the Sox

Harper, Semien, Stager, deGrom, Scherzer, Soto, hell name any player with over a $100 million contract and they are automatically nixed by JR

Just now, Polar Bear said:

I mean Hahn wanted to go all out for Machado and Harper....KW and/or JR said nope.  It happens all the time, unlike real MLB organizations that the GM has a lot of freedom Hahn literally has none.  He is GM in name only while JR is mostly making the decisions, if we want changes he needs to sell the team.  JR refuses to hand out big contracts that means any legit player is off limits for the Sox

Harper, Semien, Stager, deGrom, Scherzer, Soto, hell name any player with over a $100 million contract and they are automatically nixed by JR

Again I think there is some truth to your comment however, if Hahn had any personal pride, any stones he should have immediately resigned when JR forced TLR down his throat.

He didn't...that says a lot about his character and I think his knowledge that while he'd find a very good job somewhere it wouldn't be as a G.M. He's 'content' for wont of a better word being a flunky for JR and Kenny and getting a very nice salary.

30 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Lol.  But they had no money in the budget so they couldn't have offered Rodon the QO, does no one get this.  You are at roughly 180 million with 200 the max, you can't offer Rodon the QO bc if he takes it your offseason was done.  No Cueto, no Kelly, no Harrison, etc. 

The Kimbrel option was $16 million.