Official NBA 22-23

7 hours ago, Tony said:

CBS Sports put out a list ranking all 30 NBA Coaching spots. They judged all 30 positions on:

How stable is ownership, and how involved is it in basketball decisions?

Has ownership proven willing to spend on both players and off-court personnel?

How stable is the front office, and what kind of track record does it have?

How much job security does a typical coach with this team have?

How talented is the roster, today, particularly when it comes to star-level players?

How well-positioned is that roster for long-term success?

The Bulls came in…dead last. 

I mean... what did you expect? The Bulls play in the NBA's third-biggest market and their team-building approach appears to be "win as many games as possible without paying the luxury tax." The team is built around two overpaid perimeter scorers, one of whom is 34 and will inevitably extract and inflated contract out of the Bulls in free agency, the other of whom already got one and can't stay healthy. The Bulls gave away two lottery picks for Nikola Vucevic, who is now on one of the NBA's worst contracts. They owe another pick to the Spurs next year for DeMar DeRozan. They've held Alex Caruso hostage for the duration of his well below-market contract because of their insistence on competing for the Play-In tournament, but that means they'll either have to trade him for less value than they could have gotten in the past or extend him at a number that might be shaky as he reaches his 30s. Coby White is really the only thing to get excited about here, but even though he nearly won Most Improved Player, he didn't even average 20 points per game. Jerry Reinsdorf happened to buy the team that employed a young Michael Jordan. Since he retired in 1998, Chicago is 936-1,121. They've won five playoff series in the past 25 years. There are cheap teams. There are poorly managed teams. The Bulls are the most lethal combination of both that exists in the modern NBA. Job security isn't even a certainty here. Yes, Billy Donovan has lasted four years without making any playoff noise, but Jim Boylen didn't even last two full seasons. Tom Thibodeau got fired after five seasons in which he never won fewer than 45 games. Vinny Del Negro only got two seasons. There's nothing to latch onto here. The Bulls are a bad organization and exactly the sort of job any serious coaching candidate should avoid.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-all-30-nba-head-coaching-jobs-right-now-why-lakers-are-near-bottom-and-dan-hurley-was-right-to-say-no/amp/

The most devastating part imo 

Ranking all 30 NBA head coaching jobs right now Why Lakers are near bottom and Dan Hurley was right to say no.jpeg

Shocked that JJ Reddick took the Lakers job, seems like a bad opportunity. If he doesn't win the title, he's going to be labeled as a failure, plus LeBron can be a coach killer. Plus the team seems to be approaching the end of this window. 

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Isn’t this the guy that was almost busted for getting with an underage girl?

Yeah and he sucked so much in the playoffs that the Thunder benched him. He's a jack of all trades, but good at none.

He's also an RFA next year, so this is basically a 1 year for 1 year trade. You went from elite role player in Caruso to a mediocre project player. You also get no draft picks on top of it. I hate it and for once I wish AKME didn't make a trade.

• Like 4

Clevinger being put on notice for scuzziest pro player in town, lol...one owner in common, at least he's consistent.

Wil Cordero and Brett Myers, come on down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Caruso and Coby White the main reasons to watch the Bulls over the past couple of seasons???

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They got younger. I suppose away from Shae maybe he can bloom a bit more? Super young - Ala Lauri Markanen was

If I could choose the worst qualities for a modern nba guard, it would be : bad at shooting, bad at getting to the line, and bad at defense.

Giddey is all 3. 

• Like 4

Jerry Reinsdorf teams are all fucking garbage. This mother fucker can't die soon enough. Another owner, like Bill Wirtz, that will be relentlessly BOO'D during his memorial game. Such a fucking c***.

Trading a fan favorite and the heart of the team for an accused pedo perfectly summarizes Reinsdorf's ownership tenure.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

4 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Jerry Reinsdorf teams are all fucking garbage. This mother fucker can't die soon enough. Another owner, like Bill Wirtz, that will be relentlessly BOO'D during his memorial game. Such a fucking c***.

Trading a fan favorite and the heart of the team for an accused pedo perfectly summarizes Reinsdorf's ownership tenure.

The Bulls goal is competing for a play in game while never going over the luxury tax. It's amazing what this town is stuck with, and they still nearly sellout all their games.

What has been called NBA Hell, is heaven to the Bulls.

Edited by Dick Allen

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

To be honest - I just want different. If different blows up than no excuse for new front office and maybe they luck into a lottery pick and can finally start to go somewhere. 

The problem I have is Caruso was their one undoubtedly strong trade chip. And now he is a bounce back player with 1 year before you pay him. And no picks, in a year we give our last up for DeRozan, potentially.

They were going to be different regardless with Derozan gone and Lavine likely out.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

The problem I have is Caruso was their one undoubtedly strong trade chip. And now he is a bounce back player with 1 year before you pay him. And no picks, in a year we give our last up for DeRozan, potentially.

They were going to be different regardless with Derozan gone and Lavine likely out.

I am thinking this is the start of rebuild - so you got a guy who is 21, long, athletic and a very good passer who started 80 games for a 1 seed. He is not a good 3 point shooter which is his major issue - but he has improved each of past 3 years there and is literally 21. 

I love Caruso and I get the hype over draft picks but we weren’t getting a top 5 pick for Caruso. Should they have gotten a pick or some 2nd rounders, sure but I don’t know it matters a ton. 

I don’t have a major opinion on Giddey cause I haven’t watched a ton of his game - but trading a 30 year old elite role player for a 21 year old player who will be an RFA (so Bulls control him) who is like 4th in the league in triple doubles the past few years and had a pretty damn good 2nd year before taking a step back this past year (but his per minutes production was still pretty good)…isn’t something I can get too mad about.

At least roster is getting a lot younger and  I think this probably makes retaining our own draft pick more likely. But Ayo, Coby, Godfrey…not great but at least it is some youth…depending on what they do with Williams (we all know I am not a fan but he is young too)…than make sure you have some quality vets but at least you are giving a ton of minutes to young players and seeing if they can grow (none are stars but maybe 25pick becomes something and than see what happens after they dump Vuc and Lavine (or at this point maybe Lavine isn’t an awful Option running for a few months on this squad putting up empty stats (but regaining some trade value) and sign and trade Demar for some picks.

After last few years of going in on vets and doing nothing I can’t get too mad at getting a young player who has shown something and certainly has real potential. 

I will caveat - if Zach is dealt, I think it happens between now and draft night - don’t see it dragging out past than. If market isn’t their by than, it isn’t showing up…at that point you probably have to plan on first part of this year being the Zach rehabilitation plan where you do everything you can to improve his trade value. 

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am thinking this is the start of rebuild - so you got a guy who is 21, long, athletic and a very good passer who started 80 games for a 1 seed. He is not a good 3 point shooter which is his major issue - but he has improved each of past 3 years there and is literally 21. 

I love Caruso and I get the hype over draft picks but we weren’t getting a top 5 pick for Caruso. Should they have gotten a pick or some 2nd rounders, sure but I don’t know it matters a ton. 

I don’t have a major opinion on Giddey cause I haven’t watched a ton of his game - but trading a 30 year old elite role player for a 21 year old player who will be an RFA (so Bulls control him) who is like 4th in the league in triple doubles the past few years and had a pretty damn good 2nd year before taking a step back this past year (but his per minutes production was still pretty good)…isn’t something I can get too mad about.

At least roster is getting a lot younger and  I think this probably makes retaining our own draft pick more likely. But Ayo, Coby, Godfrey…not great but at least it is some youth…depending on what they do with Williams (we all know I am not a fan but he is young too)…than make sure you have some quality vets but at least you are giving a ton of minutes to young players and seeing if they can grow (none are stars but maybe 25pick becomes something and than see what happens after they dump Vuc and Lavine (or at this point maybe Lavine isn’t an awful Option running for a few months on this squad putting up empty stats (but regaining some trade value) and sign and trade Demar for some picks.

After last few years of going in on vets and doing nothing I can’t get too mad at getting a young player who has shown something and certainly has real potential. 

A draft pick would have also made them younger and would not had to make an expensive decision (which he will be, more than you'd like to pay) immediately.

The other thing is: Would the Thunder of all teams have been reluctant to hold onto a pick if it was a dealbreaker? They actually have more than they keep.

It sucks cause we can't even say hindsight is 20/20. There were calls to trade DDR or Zach two years ago when they both had good-to-great value, DDR last year, Caruso last year (when he was apparently worth two first rounders) and Drummond last year (when he was supposedly worth two second rounders).

If they started this two years ago, they wouldn't have locked themselves into the nonsensical Vuc deal.

Instead they're maxing out at...Josh Giddey.

Just all-around horrible.

• Like 3