Official NBA 22-23

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao Mully just said Zach Edey was built to play 20 years ago and I can't agree enough 

On the broadcast they were like "10 years ago he'd be the #1 pick."

In my head I figured it'd be further back, but boy were they right.

46 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao Mully just said Zach Edey was built to play 20 years ago and I can't agree enough 

37 minutes ago, Quin said:

On the broadcast they were like "10 years ago he'd be the #1 pick."

In my head I figured it'd be further back, but boy were they right.

Been saying that for years.  If this was 1990, he is the #1 pick.  His game was made for the last generation of NBA ball with back to the basket posts passes starting most offenses.  Now I am really not sure how he fits in the game with his lack of athleticism and shooting ability beyond 10 feet.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

What, no, you can’t do most of that paragraph and try to lose next year. There is no benefit to having a vet as Derozan. Coby is the vet.

I agree with the above - however, I think even with Derozan that is a team that is going to be bottom 5. If it were me, I would go all out to move the mid 3 and even Patrick Williams, I would lean to if I could sign and trade him I may opt to do it. Now if no one ends up giving him a big number, than maybe you do exactly what they did with Ayo and White and than the hope is he does mature (and I have learned some of these young guys really do take until their 2nd contract before they emerge) and so if you can get them at a more fair deal in that 2nd deal it could be really nice.  

I might even take a flyer on a Wiseman who probably stinks but why not.  I do think veteran prescence is important though - but I also think this is where having a Billy Donovan who is well respected and solid leader as a coach is actually a good fit. I also think moving away from Derozan is important to get a team that will pay with pace which finally fits more of the up-tempo style they want to do.  

In terms of Buzelis - I like his general shooting form so I think with time he will develop that 3 point shot and the one thing I give AK credit for is, initial results from the new shooting coach were pretty solid.  

The other thing I would do right now if I were AK - is be an individual who facilitates trades. Maybe they can get in on helping Golden State get out of Chris Paul (and Vuc could be part of that deal). Buyout Paul or let Paul be the veteran mentor until he is moved at the deadline or you buy him out than.  

I'm sure there are other places too there where they can add some assets. I'm also not sitting here demanding they end up with the #1 pick in the upcoming draft (would be great) - but be in a position where you are in the top 5 (which I think is doable given the route they are headed).  And get plenty of more assets so you start to build up some flexibility (easier said than done - but NBA is interesting - when you can operate as a 3rd party facilitator there is a certain amount of assets you can buy up at a reasonable ST cost).  

Ok it’s been a few days. I’m scarred from rebuilds on the bulls and bears that tried to do it without acquiring surplus draft picks and not seeing it work, while OKC / Boston / Philly shows that it’s a really good way to make it work.

But I think I am ok on the Giddey trade. It was really hard to watch how the mavs played him off the court being the most recent memory of him, along with his off court stuff, and be like “he’s great!”.

But the Simmons / Russillo pod was a good reminder of what he is with the ball in his hands, and how young he is.

There was an era of players coming in at 18/19 and dominating that hasn’t really happened recently - probably because shooting is so important now and who could be that good that young. (Exceptions being Luka and physical freaks like Wemby).

But Coby took years to be more than “sometimes a hot bench guy”. SGA was always good but took years and years and is now MVP guy. Jaylen Brown, etc. By 24 Giddy could be extremely good.

I hate being forced to pay and worrying the bulls will mess that up, and there is a ton riding on next years draft fixing everything. 

I kept thinking about this being the Jabari Parker “buy low”, but this is a decent, real shot at an impact player. 

We deserve some good luck (as fans, not sure the org does)

"This is a quality piece of business for the Bulls, who are locking up a 22-year-old two-way wing, who can play both forward spots, provide quality defense and is sporting a career efficiency of 41% from downtown.

Williams hasn't grown much as an all-around player since getting drafted fourth overall in 2020, to the point where you could almost pencil him in for about 10 points and four rebounds before the beginning of each season."

yahoo sports

I don't follow the NBA much at all but jesus christ what a league. This goof gets $90M over 5 years? Going to give my son a basketball and tell him to never let it go. Even bums get set for life in this league

If not a basketball, go with a right-handed glove and force him into becoming a lefty reliever at least.

Just compare how many $90 million contracts there are in the NBA vs. MLB, and how immense the odds of even making it in basketball are stacked, especially with how international the sport has become...it's almost like the LPGA.

Then if you're not 6'4" or taller with a long wingspan and/or 35" plus vertical, there's yet another barrier that's almost impossible to overcome.

I don’t like Pat much but I get why they did this and if Cowley is right and we see them move on from Lavine, Vic and Demar than I am pretty happy. Took too long to kind of hit a reset. 

The pat contract is fine. There’s only 10 real players on a basketball team and a max on what the top players can make so Williams benefits. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Good contract here.

Drummond signing with Philly is infuriating after knowing that they were offered 3 second rounders by Philly last year for him. 

I kind of don't think much of 2nd rounders to be honest.  But this move seems decent enough. Don't know much about him, but he's young so at least lines up with the idea of trying out some young parts.  

I really am curious how true the rumors are on Lavine. If they are what everyone is saying - which absolutely could be the case given how much time he missed last year, than I don't see why you would trade him. They are building a team to play up tempo which should be a good fit for Lavine to showcase himself better (but reality is this could be Klutch trying to drive his value down so much so he can get to his destination of choice).  If I were the Bulls I have to think long and hard about how willing I am to do that (this whole - you'd have to attach a FRP to deal Lavine - well at that point he's staying and I'll try to build back his value - cause he is an efficient scorer and in the right set-up is a really good #2/#3.  But he clearly IS NOT a #1.  

3 hours ago, bmags said:

hopefully he is the starting center.

Isn't Smith a tweener? I think he's a nice signing and someone the Bulls desperately needed the last few years, but if they trade Vuc, they gotta go out and get a real center. 

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Do the Clippers have anything worthwhile to sign and trade for Demar? 

DeMar might be in a tough spot here. Cause no team that wants him has enough cap room to outright sign him for what the Bulls offered, which was like 2 years and $80 million. So it has to be done through S&T unless DeMar agrees to play on the tax payer's MLE. 

Say he takes a slight discount to go home and the Clippers are willing to go 3 years $90 million for him, the Bulls could possibly take back Norman Powell and Ivan Zubac/Terrence Mann to make salaries match. I don't see the Clippers doing that since Zubac is the one big they have on their roster and I doubt the Bulls want to be saddled with 2 years of Norman Powell when they already have too many guards. 

39 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Isn't Smith a tweener? I think he's a nice signing and someone the Bulls desperately needed the last few years, but if they trade Vuc, they gotta go out and get a real center. 

I don't think they do.

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

WHOA Klay to Mavs

why is this announcement such a low-res photoshop job whereas his others are all just normal pics?

Like, I'm sure it's real, just so weird.

35 minutes ago, Quin said:

why is this announcement such a low-res photoshop job whereas his others are all just normal pics?

Like, I'm sure it's real, just so weird.

Probably because Klay is a low res version of what we remember 

• Haha 2