2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I don’t necessarily have a problem with Madrigal. Always being one of the leading Madrigalites. I’ve come to understand his puny little body cannot stand up to the rigors of athletic competition however

Swanson's a player the Sox could of used now that Jose's gone since Dansby has only missed 2 games the last 2 seasons. 

• Like 1

I'll take McCann if it's basically an equal money swap, particularly since Harold etc are now saying we're keeping Hendriks which means it's unlikely they can get their hands on Jansen.

Send Leury to NYM and they can send back McCann plus the difference in salary. Ofcourse that doesn't solve the issue of Grandal's 18m dead space. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'll take McCann if it's basically an equal money swap, particularly since Harold etc are now saying we're keeping Hendriks which means it's unlikely they can get their hands on Jansen.

Send Leury to NYM and they can send back McCann plus the difference in salary. Ofcourse that doesn't solve the issue of Grandal's 18m dead space. 

If they aren’t keeping Seby around, I fear they will force Grandal into DH/1B too often trying to get their money’s worth.  If he can’t be an adequate backup C, just DFA his ass. 

33 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If they aren’t keeping Seby around, I fear they will force Grandal into DH/1B too often trying to get their money’s worth.  If he can’t be an adequate backup C, just DFA his ass. 

I think you almost have to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he has left in the tank after what sounds like some changes to his conditioning this offseason. It's not like the Sox have stud backup options knocking at the door.

9 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think you almost have to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he has left in the tank after what sounds like some changes to his conditioning this offseason. It's not like the Sox have stud backup options knocking at the door.

Carlos Perez gang rise up @bmags

• Like 1

They NEED to turn either Carlos Perez or Little Sebastian into a sufficient every day catcher, that should be one of Pedro’s main goals. We don’t need millions of dollars and so much of the Sox’s limited payroll invested in an aging/injured catcher (Grandal) or older bullpen arms. Terrible allocation of money. 

42 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This. After addressing 2 crucial needs with Clevinger and Benintendi , I would much prefer they continue that trend. We might all disagree on what the next logical need is, another SP, 4th OF, BP, 2nd base ?

There has been a lot of smoke involving catchers but Grandal probably deserves another shot but if he is through then the drop off is rather steep unless you think 2022 Zavala was real.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I like Perez a lot, but I'd rather let him start in Charlotte as depth if/when Grandal clearly can't cut it anymore. Honestly, Perez should be replacing Seby right now. The only thing holding Seby on this team is his lack of options remaining.

The only thing? He was above average defensively and offensively at catcher position last year