2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Better teams don't sign better players and move lesser players?  That is news to me.

Frankly, no. They maneuver around contracts and often let better players go after they become too expensive.

The Astros, for example, have allowed Correa, Cole, and Verlander to walk as free agents. None of them were traded to create room for anyone. I can't think of the Astros moving any lesser players in trades because of someone they wanted to sign. 

The Braves added an expensive 1b - after their 1b, Freeman, was hitting free agency. I can't think of any examples of the Braves trading away a guy in order to clear room for a free agent signing.

The only guy being paid $10 million I can think of that the Dodgers traded away was AJ Pollock. 

The Nationals let Harper walk and that was their path to a title. 

Can you give an example of a team that did something like what you're describing? Trading away a cost controlled player to sign a more expensive player at the same position? 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Bummer. Kinda wanted him tbh. A couple mill more than I’d thought he’d get.

I was comparing Fraziers (8 mil) stats and salary to Leury (5.5 mil) and although Frazier had  241 more at bats (541 vs 300) he stuck out 73 times compared to Leary's 65. In 300 at bats Leury only drew 7 walks with a .210 average

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Thank God. A massively overrated player.

He's certainly not been great since leaving Pittsburgh.  But a player than can cover 2B and the OF would be pretty valuable to the Sox.  Profar and Drury are really the only 2 left that fit the bill.  Profar hasn't played much IF last couple seasons, and Drury hits RH.  So neither are perfect.  So Frazier was kind of the guy that made the most sense.  I probably would have passed for $8M as well, tho. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

"Conforto is back to full health"....What else is Boras going to say....take a chance on the next Cody Bellinger rehab project.  Of course he's talking to "a number of teams", that's how he get's top dollar for his clients whether or not he's really talking or not. 

Edited by A-Train to 35th

59 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Bummer. Kinda wanted him tbh. A couple mill more than I’d thought he’d get.

I also thought Frazier could make a decent bit of sense on a one year deal for around $6 million

I do not have much faith in this club doing much this offseason

20 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I actually don’t agree there.

I don't think you can reasonably expect Sosa + Romy + Popeye to even be replacement level. Frazier in a bad year was still a 1 WAR guy, which isn't exciting, but it's at least not a total black hole like they have now.

Edited by maxjusttyped

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't think you can reasonably expect Sosa + Roma + Popeye to even be replacement level. Frazier in a bad year was still a 1 WAR guy, which isn't exciting, but it's at least not a total black hole like they have now.

Well, by definition, replacement level is exactly what those guys could reasonably expected to be. Hence the term replacement level

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't think you can reasonably expect Sosa + Romy + Popeye to even be replacement level. Frazier in a bad year was still a 1 WAR guy, which isn't exciting, but it's at least not a total black hole like they have now.

You don’t think they could net you 1 WAR? That seems really bullish. I think Romy and Sosa could get you close to whatever Frazier does this upcoming season if given the chance. Frazier is just a boring slap hitter with one outlier year in 2021 that the Pirates took advantage of at the deadline. I don’t see him as being worth $8M.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

You don’t think they could net you 1 WAR? That seems really bullish. I think Romy and Sosa could get you close to whatever Frazier does this upcoming season if given the chance. Frazier is just a boring slap hitter with one outlier year in 2021 that the Pirates took advantage of at the deadline. I don’t see him as being worth $8M.

I think the most likely outcome for Sosa is he's completely overwhelmed playing every day. Romy has shown nothing to make us think he can be a useful big leaguer. I like Popeye's upside, but his plate discipline is a huge question mark and he's never played above AA.

I'd love to be wrong, but I would definitely take the under on 1 WAR next year for Romy/Sosa/Popeye without any hesitation.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think the most likely outcome for Sosa is he's completely overwhelmed playing every day. Romy has shown nothing to make us think he can be a useful big leaguer. I like Popeye's upside, but his plate discipline is a huge question mark and he's never played above AA.

I'd love to be wrong, but I would definitely take the under on 1 WAR next year for Romy/Sosa/Popeye without any hesitation.

Never fear, Leury is still here…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3