2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

24 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I bet they salary dump him and then he has a great year. He actually had some pretty terrible batted ball luck last season

I was shocked to see how good his peripherals were last year. The stuff is still there and he's not going to run a .382 BABIP again.  You might be right.

With that said, I'd much rather salary dump Kelly than trade Liam for Danny Jansen or whatever.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I was shocked to see how good his peripherals were last year. The stuff is still there and he's not going to run a .382 BABIP again.  You might be right.

With that said, I'd much rather salary dump Kelly than trade Liam for Danny Jansen or whatever.

Kelly had a 3.06 FIP. 

40 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Curious how long it was going to take Sox internet to realize Kelly performed almost as expected.  Now with only 1 year due and the team option... seems like at the very least he can go for free.  

Now the question is, have we already spent that money on benny biceps?  Or would that allow for a Drury/Segura type?

I'd like to gamble.  Keep Kelly and turn Liam into Michael Busch (+?).   I prefer that route. 

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Curious how long it was going to take Sox internet to realize Kelly performed almost as expected.  Now with only 1 year due and the team option... seems like at the very least he can go for free.  

Now the question is, have we already spent that money on benny biceps?  Or would that allow for a Drury/Segura type?

I'd like to gamble.  Keep Kelly and turn Liam into Michael Busch (+?).   I prefer that route. 

I would definitely trade LH for Busch. The key thing with him is there is a debate as to how bad of a defender he is. Some say 45 which is fine with that left handed bat. Some say 30 which isn't playable at 2B. It all comes down to the eval, but having a legit savage LH bat with both hit AND power tool is great. 

Actually even if he's a 1B....if he's a LH savage at the plate they could use to make Vaughn available later. 

Busch would be great for Hendriks but the simulator says LH is nowhere near enough for him. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

the simulator says LH is nowhere near enough for him. 

Feels like RP have gained about 20% in value and I haven't seen an update on that site.  Feel like LAD would do it. 

Liam's value has to be bananas right now with only 2 years due.  I'm not trading him for Busch if he can't play league average 2B.  I've only seen the same grades you have and was concerned but can't really pretend to know more.  

1 hour ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Interesting….bring him in on the cheap. He likes some Pedro 

Again - this would be a marginal move I could support (presuming price is cheap). Another lefty bat and some defensive versatility (especially knowing we have a smorgous board of first baseman). Not sure what his splits are (i.e., if you platoon him does that help make him better).  

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Those teams must have saw his FIP in the low 3s and thought last year was an aberration. I think if Kelly stays healthy this year (not that likely), he could rebound very well. He was quite unlucky last year and I think the injury was messing with his ability to control his sinker.