2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Good for cubs but that sure looks silly after being in on the others. Always a bad idea to pass on a deal for top stars and still commit to bringing in anyone. Is the $5 mill a year saved going to be worth it?

Maybe they will use it to steal Kelly away from us.

5 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hedges hasn't had a wRC+ above 45 since 2018. Seby's a great framer too and he isn't literally the worst hitter in baseball.

Seby had a over a .400 BABIP last season with little power. Based on his minor league career, I'd be he returns to his career tendencies over maintaining what we saw last year.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Seby had a over a .400 BABIP last season with little power. Based on his minor league career, I'd be he returns to his career tendencies over maintaining what we saw last year.

Seby being useful as a hitter was a total fluke, but he's still a much better hitter than Hedges and probably a better player at this point, too.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

They’re also not paying top price for ages 37-40.  I like this deal way more than Correa’s.

Yup this is a pretty fair deal for the Cubs. They're paying him as a 3 WAR player in his age 29-36 seasons. Last year's 6 WAR was obviously an aberration because of his defense, but I think the Cubs will get at least 21 WAR out of him. 

16 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hedges hasn't had a wRC+ above 45 since 2018. Seby's a great framer too and he isn't literally the worst hitter in baseball.

15 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Offensively, he’s horrendous. 

Fair, but he’s got a reputation for being a hell of game caller, popular with pitchers, cannon arm, etc. And I wonder how much Grandal can/should catch, and I feel like Seby is gonna turn back into a pumpkin. 

10 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Seby being useful as a hitter was a total fluke, but he's still a much better hitter than Hedges and probably a better player at this point, too.

Hedges is better in every aspect of fielding and behind the plate action than Seby. This argument comes down to whether you value a hitting catcher over a fielding catcher. Don't mistake this for me wanting the Sox to sign Hedges (I don't). But between the two - without $5M - I would rather have Hedges as a backup than Seby.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Hedges is better in every aspect of fielding and behind the plate action than Seby. This argument comes down to whether you value a hitting catcher over a fielding catcher. Don't mistake this for me wanting the Sox to sign Hedges (I don't). But between the two - without $5M - I would rather have Hedges as a backup than Seby.

I think it's really splitting hairs. Hedges is ++ on defense but probably the worst hitter in baseball. Seby is + on defense & just regular bad at hitting by backup catcher standards. Both are useful backups, but signing Hedges would have either required DFAing or trading Seby plus the 5M cash when we both agree there isn't that much of a difference between them.

28 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Correa's bat is so much better than Swanson's. The AAV is essentially the same. For a franchise that prints money, I would have rather had Correa but Swanson is still a good signing for them.

Yeah I mean if he drops back to his 90 wRC+ seasons are they still hyping his d or deploring another heyward?

• Like 2