Michigan vs. Michigan State

Who will win the 2003 Michigan vs. Michigan St. game  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2003 Michigan vs. Michigan St. game

• The Mighty Maize and Blue Wolverines of Beautiful Ann Arbor
    • The Spartans of rather boring East Lansing.

That is different when it is rainy. Don't get me wrong, there are some awful days. It is dark and gloomy, and the huge trees don't exactly make it look any less gloomy. The Red Cedar and it's ducks are cool for everyone who just comes by here once in awhile, while Grand River has some pretty cool clubs and frats not far. The Lansing Lugnuts (or whatever the f*** they are) are not far from here too.

f*** the Lugnuts. Cubs minor leaguers.

QB Matchup

Jeff Smoker  QB Rating: 140.5 TD: 12 INT: 5 Yards: 2070

John Navarre  QB Rating: 130.6 TD: 16 INT: 7 Yards: 2271

Looks like a solid matchup from the QB standpoint.

I would take Jaren Hayes over Perry.

Perry plays VERY well on turf, but overall he doesn't have the speed that great RB's have.

State is the better team. Smoker's become a better QB because he has a balanced corps of receivers as opposed to just having Rogers to hit. To be honest, I think it might make him a better NFL prospect because of it... even if he is a cokehead.

State wins in a close one.

State is the better team at QB, but Michigan is the more talented team overall. Though they have not played to their potential, Michigan is considered to be one of the most talented teams in the country.

The Wolverines are superior on the lines, and have a very athletic secondary. The problems occur when they use the zone defense that they used against Iowa, then teams find holes and quickly march down the field against the wolverines w/o even having to run the ball. Of course when Michigan plays tighter zones, and man to man they can dominate, as they did against purdue.

Michigan also has the best recieving corps. in the big ten. The question is, can Navarre get them the ball in hostile environment?

QB Matchup

Jeff Smoker  QB Rating: 140.5   TD: 12   INT: 5   Yards: 2070

John Navarre  QB Rating: 130.6   TD: 16   INT: 7   Yards: 2271

Perry plays VERY well on turf, but overall he doesn't have the speed that great RB's have.

Well good thing MSU has grass then, eh.

State is the better team. Smoker's become a better QB because he has a balanced corps of receivers as opposed to just having Rogers to hit. To be honest, I think it might make him a better NFL prospect because of it... even if he is a cokehead.

State is the better team at QB, but Michigan is the more talented team overall. Though they have not played to their potential, Michigan is considered to be one of the most talented teams in the country.

The Wolverines are superior on the lines, and have a very athletic secondary. The problems occur when they use the zone defense that they used against Iowa, then teams find holes and quickly march down the field against the wolverines w/o even having to run the ball. Of course when Michigan plays tighter zones, and man to man they can dominate, as they did against purdue.

Michigan also has the best recieving corps. in the big ten. The question is, can Navarre get them the ball in hostile environment?

State can catch the ball, the recievers and ends are getting the expierence. State is tough, only weakness is going to be that big boy, Edwards I think is his name, against out db's. Our safeties can play with anyone, but I am worried about Maples and whomever plays along side of him.

QB Matchup

Jeff Smoker  QB Rating: 140.5   TD: 12   INT: 5   Yards: 2070

John Navarre  QB Rating: 130.6   TD: 16   INT: 7   Yards: 2271

Well good thing MSU has grass then, eh.

Are you serious :o . Wow, do you know when they put in a natural surface, I know they had turf in 2001 when the time keeper f***ed us up the ass.

I can't believe they have grass. Supersteve, you just ruined my day.

State can catch the ball, the recievers and ends are getting the expierence. State is tough, only weakness is going to be that big boy, Edwards I think is his name, against out db's. Our safeties can play with anyone, but I am worried about Maples and whomever plays along side of him.

Edwards and Avant are the two guys you have to really look out for. Edwards has height and speed, he is built in the Plaxico Burress mold. Avant is not as tall but is really speedy, I can't think of a good comparison off hand, maybe Tai Streets.

You can't underestimate the other recievers either. Breaston is one of the fastest guys in the country (a taller version of Daunte Hall), and Tabb has also broken some big gains.

I am definately not worried about those guys. It is everyone else on the team that scares the s*** out of me.

If my memory serves me, they started playing on grass last season. It is a beautiful field, and is kept under tarp when it rains (obviously not during games). It will be nuts. And it should be rainy. It is awful right now, and all I hear is how it is raining back home (in Chicagoland), and we always get their weather a few days later. If it is rainy, I like our scrapy guys. We do not turn the ball over very often.

I do like Edwards, he had been somewhat overhyped, but has really come into his own lately. Avant on the other hand does not scare me one bit. State's db's are all fast, speedy, quick guys. Only Smith, our strong safety, can really make a hard hit on someone. When we played Minnesota, their strong, tall recievers just out jumped, and our muscled us. That is why they almost came back. We did hold Barber and Abdul-Khaliq to not a great deal of yards.

Our best players are our D-line and linebackers (although there has been linebacking injuries). I think Perry will have a little bit better day than Barber (who is a tough back). Obviously Navarre won't run around as much as Abdul-Khaliq, so he will get more than 14 touches. Russell of Iowa did pretty well against us, over 120 yards, but he didn't get anything going until the game was 14-0 State.

It will come down to Michigan's offense against State's defense. I think the main questions are; can Navarre come to play and can State's defense hold tough.

Smoker is well known, but wait till you see the direct snap to Agim Shabaj. He torched Iowa and Indiana on it, and I haven't seen it since. It is a special play.

If my memory serves me, they started playing on grass last season. It is a beautiful field, and is kept under tarp when it rains (obviously not during games). It will be nuts. And it should be rainy. It is awful right now, and all I hear is how it is raining back home (in Chicagoland), and we always get their weather a few days later. If it is rainy, I like our scrapy guys. We do not turn the ball over very often.

I do like Edwards, he had been somewhat overhyped, but has really come into his own lately. Avant on the other hand does not scare me one bit. State's db's are all fast, speedy, quick guys. Only Smith, our strong safety, can really make a hard hit on someone. When we played Minnesota, their strong, tall recievers just out jumped, and our muscled us. That is why they almost came back. We did hold Barber and Abdul-Khaliq to not a great deal of yards.

Our best players are our D-line and linebackers (although there has been linebacking injuries). I think Perry will have a little bit better day than Barber (who is a tough back). Obviously Navarre won't run around as much as Abdul-Khaliq, so he will get more than 14 touches. Russell of Iowa did pretty well against us, over 120 yards, but he didn't get anything going until the game was 14-0 State.

It will come down to Michigan's offense against State's defense. I think the main questions are; can Navarre come to play and can State's defense hold tough.

Smoker is well known, but wait till you see the direct snap to Agim Shabaj. He torched Iowa and Indiana on it, and I haven't seen it since. It is a special play.

I see it a little differently. I think the game will be determined by Michigans defense.

As far as I am concerned, Michigan is a lock for at least 17. So if the defense comes out ready to put the heat on smoker, look out state. If michigan slips into the soft zone, look out wolverines.

Special teams is also important in this game, just when it seems the team is clicking on all cylinders, the special teams will take the wind right out of a michigan fan's sails.

1549 and SuperSteve, I want to express my thanks that you two have been having a very civil and helpful conversation on the game, with none of the trash talk. That is a role modeling of how it should be done.

I may be offering no public opinion - what I think can be presumed and will not add to the sum total of the knowledge of the universe. But I might, too. Making up my mind.

While the Detroit Free Press is stupidly trying to whip up trash talk betwwn the two teams' fans and where everywhere one goes these days one hears comments - even had some stuff said at physical therapy all week! - it has been very refreshing to see an intelligent, respectful conversation. Again, I thank you, more than I can express.

This is what I am teaching my UM grandson with his MSU step-father: no trash talk. You guys are great!

:cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

2002 redux

On the front page of our student newspaper, there was some good jokes:

What do you call two beautiful girls walking around at the U of M campus?... ...visitors.

How do you get a former Wolverine to leave your front porch?... ...pay for the pizza.

Go up to a Michigan fan, ask if they want to talk about the game, tell them it'll only take a second (I doubt anyone will get this one).

Those were the best ones. There was some Michigan jokes making fun of MSU, but they weren't really funny (and I am not just saying that cause I am a State student, they really sucked from anyone's point of view).

BTW, they still haven't gotten Sparty yet. He's our huge bronze statue and every year Michigan students try to throw Yellow (don't tell me Maze, it's yellow :P ) and Blue paint on him. Our band stays out all week, rain or shine, and makes sure no one gets him, so far they haven't but it's early.

17 is basically sure for both teams. It is going to be a shootout, both teams can score, and will.

I hope the conversation is civil whatever happens.

This is in ways more intense that Sox vs Cubs and yet different. Hard to explain to folks, especially since I spent half my life in Chicago and half in Michigan and know very well the rivalry. Maybe it is because we have this intense rivalry between the schools that is in football, hockey, basketball, but it is not so personal - the 75,000 who showed up for the Ice Bowl were rivals but yet united by the spirit of we all combined to do this - no other state can touch us for football attendance, either, just as no one could touch us for other things.

Maybe in the 3 main sports we contest, we play year in and year out, and so while we get up for the games big time - I note this week car flags have been appearing, and more will as kick off dawns - we don't crest so high or fall so low on the results of any given game. We have also seen another odd things happen to know to epxect anything.

I hope we crush MSU again. But as soon as last year's game was over I called my grandson and reminded him that he was to say nothing show-offy to his MSU step father, because we know what it is like to lose and we should ahve class. And I heard nothing trash talky from the MSU step father after the 2001 game. We just talked about the game. Maybe that is the difference between UM/MSU and Sox/Cubs - the rivalry without the hate. Certainly if/when MSU loses a bowl game, UM fans feel bad for a felow Big 10 team and don't rejoice as Sox fans did in the NL playoffs...

Whatever happens, I hope we are civil and no trash talk.

1549 will back me up that on a Wolverines message board there is a thread that is really angry at the free press for trying to make this game into hostility rather than just a very big in-state game, along the lines of, why can't we be for UM (or MSU) without having to hate MSU (or UM). And a lot of people agree with that, which I appreciated.