Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

Once again, I'd like to thank whoever convinced AJ Pollock that he didn't want to play for the White Sox any longer.

The Twins might be interested in him, but I doubt he wants to play in the miserable cold again. I can see him going back to the west coast. 

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Pollock returning to the Dodgers if he can't get a nice deal elsewhere seems inevitable to me.

I’m assuming he heads back and is more like the Pollock of 2 years ago than last year. Also I expect he will see a more reduced workload next year which might help him too. 

• Like 1

So here’s my version of the math.

As far as I can tell the White Sox budget this different from Spotrac, as long as they don’t hit the tax.

When they have a buyout, Spotrac counts it as the previous year, but I think the White Sox count it for the next year. Otherwise I can’t find any reason for them to defer part of Clevinger’s deal until a buyout. So let’s assume that’s how they do the budgets - they count buyouts on the next season.

If that’s true, then it means the buyouts for Harrison and Pollock don’t count for 2022, they count for 2023. And Clevinger’s buyout doesn’t count for 2023, it counts for 2024.

If I’ve got that right, then they read the 2022 payroll as just over $190 million. $15 million on top of that for benefits. 

If I move the buyouts to 2023, and use the MLBTR estimates for arbitration amounts, then I have them about $162 million starting the offseason. $8 million for Clevinger takes them to $170 million, and today takes them to $185 million. There’s potentially a million or two difference in arb numbers and minor league contracts I can’t count yet.

As of right now, their payroll in this count is about $5 million less than 2022.

Their first round pick will cost them a little over $1 million more as well. Probably they count that too. So generously $5 million below last years’ payroll today, potentially a little less.

16 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Shocking. Fuckers almost always right about us. Dude seems to think Eloy is gonna be in right field. Uh yea… ok?

Edited by hi8is
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If it makes you feel any better, Law has criticized almost every free agent signing of the off-season so far. Judge, Rodon, Bogaerts, Abreu & Edwin Diaz were all bad moves from his perspective.

I like Law as an evaluator and really respect his opinion, but he's very much of the opinion "players should get paid more, just don't do it like that" which *shrug*

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

If it makes you feel any better, Law has criticized almost every free agent signing of the off-season so far. Judge, Rodon, Bogaerts, Abreu & Edwin Diaz were all bad moves from his perspective.

I like Law as an evaluator and really respect his opinion, but he's very much of the opinion "players should get paid more, just don't do it like that" which *shrug*

It's honestly been kind of weird. Literally every time a player has signed a contract worth $75 million or more this offseason, it's as if there's a scheduled Keith Law tweet 3 hours later talking about how it's such a bad decision. I know it's not his intention, but it comes off as overzealous ownership support.

I generally like him too, but it feels to me like he just hasn't adjusted to the new market.

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I’m pretty sure people here said all those moves were bad.

9 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I'm not sure how he isn't putting two and two together with Eloy now being the  full-time DH. 

It really seems like the main reason he's down on the Sox as even contending for a wild card (aside from the 2B situation) is that he thinks Gavin Sheets is the primary DH