Its official.....

Capn12

Colon for free agency

Not that I am surprised...we may see him back in a Sox uni, but I am not too heart-broken if he isnt. IMO KW did what he had to do, considering this regime's history.

Since I see a lot of people writing him off. This is just a formalidity, every player has to do this, otherwise they would lose all/any leverage because they would be stuck going back to their team at a bargain basement price.

Im trying to look for a positive spin if Colon doesnt sign with the Sox......and this is about all I can think of.  With the money that would of been spent towards Bartolo we can possibly pick up two solid starters or try to fill other holes in our team: Shortstop, Relief pitching,1B

That is assuming the money offered will still be spent on other players.

Wishlist:

Josh Beckett, Florida Bad Ass?

You and me both, winodj.....oh, to have a "phenom" immediately live up to expectations, and not pull a Ruffcorn..

Remember, this "Phenom" was injured off and on for quite a while out of the gate.

Buehrle was more of a "Phenom" then Beckett :D

Wishlist:

You and me both, winodj.....oh, to have a "phenom" immediately live up to expectations, and not pull a Ruffcorn..

Remember, this "Phenom" was injured off and on for quite a while out of the gate.

Yeah, but Jas, Buehrle was more of an afterthought as a draftee, whereas Beckett was a 1st Round guy that most expected to be all that, and he delivered. Its been a while since we've had a Top Draft Pick come up to Chicago and deliver like that.

Wishlist:

Yeah, but Jas, Buehrle was more of an afterthought as a draftee, whereas Beckett was a 1st Round guy that most expected to be all that, and he delivered. Its been a while since we've had a Top Draft Pick come up to Chicago and deliver like that.

True that, didn't think of it that way.

I'd have to say Frank Thomas or Rockin Robin were the last guys to do something like that in the Sox organization.

Alex Fernandez was awfully good, awfully quick

So was Black Jack.

As for Bartolo saying he doesn't want to pitch here or he likes it there, this is what I think:

It's all negotiating.

I'm convinced the Players association tells guys to say they want to stay where they are. It's good PR. Players know the fans think they are greedy. So they say they want to stay where they're at to keep some hometown fans somewhat happy.

As for saying they don't want to play here or there, it's the perfect way to get a team (like the Yankees or Red Sox) to up the ante.

That's what I think.

Durham said he wanted to stay. Ventura said he liked the Sox. Charles Johnson said he enjoyed Chicago. Alex Fernandez said he wanted to stay. On and on and on.

It's all PR. None of us know what is going on behind the scene. But the Players Association pressures these guys NOT to take less money to stay where they are because that's how they keep driving up the salaries.

That will be more true than EVER this year because the free-agent market was soft last year. And I read a story last week that indicated the Players Association is going to file another collusion charge if it remains soft this year.

That's the way the game is played, folks.

Plan B certainly would have to be Ponson at the top of the list.

Gotta throw names like Batista and Lidle in there as well...

And even perhaps, GASP, Jeff Weaver...

Unlike the rest of you who seem to believe we are doomed if we lose Colon, I beg to differ.

While Loaiza will surely not deliver the same results of 2003, Buehrle and Garland will both improve, as will our No. 5 spot. If we can plug in a solid No.3 who can throw near 200 innings, I think we should be fine.

Here's the way I invision things:

#1 - Buehrle

#2 - E-Lo

#3 - FA Signing

#4 - Garland

#5 - Rauch/Cotts/Show/Wright/FA signing

So was Black Jack.

As for Bartolo saying he doesn't want to pitch here or he likes it there, this is what I think:

It's all negotiating.

I'm convinced the Players association tells guys to say they want to stay where they are. It's good PR. Players know the fans think they are greedy. So they say they want to stay where they're at to keep some hometown fans somewhat happy.

As for saying they don't want to play here or there, it's the perfect way to get a team (like the Yankees or Red Sox) to up the ante.

That's what I think.

Durham said he wanted to stay. Ventura said he liked the Sox. Charles Johnson said he enjoyed Chicago. Alex Fernandez said he wanted to stay. On and on and on.

It's all PR. None of us know what is going on behind the scene. But the Players Association pressures these guys NOT to take less money to stay where they are because that's how they keep driving up the salaries.

That will be more true than EVER this year because the free-agent market was soft last year. And I read a story last week that indicated the Players Association is going to file another collusion charge if it remains soft this year.

Great post, I agree 100%. Colon SHOULD see how much he's offered by other teams from a union & personal standpoint. That said, NOT ONE PENNY MORE than the rumored offer should be tendered. I wouldn't be that disappointed if we ended up with Ponson (forget Millwood, if Colon is out of our price range, so is Millwood). At least it would be a sign that we were retooling instead of rebuilding. The thought of another youth movement really bothers me.

I still believe COLON WILL BE A WHITE SOX NEXT YEAR! I am keeping my confidence that this will happen. I heard on the score that most of his 36 mil was deffered something like 4 mil a year. That is alot of money to have deffered to where you don;t get that money for years to come. If i was bartolo, i would want all my money up front. I think kenny isn't through with this situation yet, there will be more offers from the sox. If they lose colon, this will put a whole lot more pressure on the sox and especially williams, heck he allready has the pressure of going and getting the right manager for the job and him loseing his best pitcher and the key to all the offseason moves will about kill him. Kenny will have to work his ass off as who to sign in free agents and also what moves he can make to make this team and the fans excited about next year. If colon is signed all of that comes to rest, the team and the fans will be excited. Look for colon to be signed and also i have a feeling kenny has something up his sleeve as far as getting vazquez from montreal. (just a feeling i have i was right last year when we got colon)

So was Black Jack.

It's all negotiating.

That's what I think.

Since you guys were talking draft I tought I would post the Draft story since 1980 so you can see who's helped are team during the years. This list is of 1st rounders

These are the Num1 picks since 1980

1980 pick#8: Cecil Espy OF - Called up in 1983 with LA, Made it in 1987 with Tex

1981 Pick#7: Darryl Boston OF - Made debut in 1983 with Sox

1982 Pick#14: Ron Karkovice C - Made Debut in 1987 with Sox

1983 Pick#13: Joel Davis RHP - Debut 1985 (could have drafted Clemens)

1984 Pick#20: Tony Menendez RHP - Made Majors Brifley in 1992 with the Reds

1984 Pick#25: Tom Hartley OF - Never Made Majors

1985 Pick#5: Kurt Brown C - Never Made Majors (Barry Bonds was drafted #6)

1986 Pick#20: Grady Hall LHP - Never Made Majors

1987 Pick#5: Jack Mcdowell RHP - Made majors same Year

1988 Pick#10: Robin Ventura 3B - Called up in 1989 but stayed in 1990

1989 Pick#7: Frank Thomas 1B - Made Majors in 1990

1990 Pick#4: Alex Fernandez RHP - Made majors same Year

1991 Pick#25: Scott Ruffcorn RHP - Called up in 1993 major Bust, Sold to Phily 97

1992 Pick#24: Eddie Pearson 3B - Never Made Majors

1993 Pick#17: Scott Christman LHP - Never Made Majors, Could have drafted Torii Hunter #20

1994 Pick#26: Mark Johnson C - Made Majors in 1998

1995 Pick#25: Jeff Liefer 3B - Made Majors in 2000 as OF/1B

1996 Pick#12: Bobby Seay LHP - Made Majors in 2001 with Tampa

1997 Pick#15: Jason Dellaero SS - Made ML in 99, Could have Drafted Berkman who went #16

1998 Pick#16: Kip Wells RHP - Made Majors in 1999

1999 Pick#15: Jason Stumm RHP - Still a Farmhand

1999 Pick#22: Matt Ginter RHP - Made Majors in 2000

2000 Pick#12: Joe Borchard OF - Called up in 2002

2001 Pick#16: Kris Honel RHP - Still in Minors

2002 Pick#18: Royce Ring LHP - Traded to Mets in 2003

2003 Pick#?: Brian Anderson OF - Minors

Plan B certainly would have to be Ponson at the top of the list.

Gotta throw names like Batista and Lidle in there as well...

And even perhaps, GASP, Jeff Weaver...

Unlike the rest of you who seem to believe we are doomed if we lose Colon, I beg to differ. 

While Loaiza will surely not deliver the same results of 2003, Buehrle and Garland will both improve, as will our No. 5 spot.  If we can plug in a solid No.3 who can throw near 200 innings, I think we should be fine.

Here's the way I invision things:

#1 - Buehrle

#2 - E-Lo

#3 - FA Signing

#4 - Garland

#5 - Rauch/Cotts/Show/Wright/FA signing

Good post here Abo.... This has the potential to be a very strong rotation, even without Colon. I'd hate to try and come up with 2 starters out of Shoney, Wright, Stweart, Cotts, etc etc.... So we really should try and find a quality #3 type starter. Then, if Garland steps up any this year we will have a very solid 1 thru 4.