2023-24 NFL Season Thread

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Eberflus is just not a head coach in the NFL.  It’s too big for him 

I actually wanted them to go for it instead of kicking the FG because I knew this defense wasn't gonna stop a cold, but to try to get them to jump, waste a TO, and then still try to go for it was so stupid. Not to mention the terrible play call. I'm not sure how Getsy keeps getting these 3rd/4th and short situations so wrong. You have one of the best rushing QBs in the league and you constantly run out of shotgun or have your TE try to sneak it. It's the dumbest s%*#. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I actually wanted them to go for it instead of kicking the FG because I knew this defense wasn't gonna stop a cold, but to try to get them to jump, waste a TO, and then still try to go for it was so stupid. Not to mention the terrible play call. I'm not sure how Getsy keeps getting these 3rd/4th and short situations so wrong. You have one of the best rushing QBs in the league and you constantly run out of shotgun or have your TE try to sneak it. It's the dumbest s%*#. 

Right, if you are gonna go for it don’t think about it for two minutes then go for it.  Just line up with your best play and run it, and that play should feature one of the best running QBs in the league 

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He is no different than Rod Marinelli. Good defensive coordinator for a team, terrible head coach.

The defense is so bad and that’s his calling card, that’s the tough thing for me.  He cannot get them off the field after 3rd down for two years now 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

The defense is so bad and that’s his calling card, that’s the tough thing for me.  He cannot get them off the field after 3rd down for two years now 

They don't have much talent on the defensive side which was my point. He's good with talented players and the main playcaller. 

Man, what a complete team failure. They should've never been in that situation but Fields blew that last drive and I'm 100% out on him now. The Bears cleared the way for him to pass them to victory against the worst defense in the NFL and he couldn't do it. I was nervous the good stats against the Broncos was just how bad they were and I was right.

5 minutes ago, almagest said:

Man, what a complete team failure. They should've never been in that situation but Fields blew that last drive and I'm 100% out on him now. The Bears cleared the way for him to pass them to victory against the worst defense in the NFL and he couldn't do it. I was nervous the good stats against the Broncos was just how bad they were and I was right.

This is also where I think all the losing catches up to you. You do it enough, it’s who you are. He’s a loser. Not blaming the coaching all either, it’s on Fields, but I think if he had more experience with GW drives, maybe the end of the game and the Tampa games look different 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is also where I think all the losing catches up to you. You do it enough, it’s who you are. He’s a loser. Not blaming the coaching all either, it’s on Fields, but I think if he had more experience with GW drives, maybe the end of the game and the Tampa games look different 

Maybe. It's hard to say. I just think he's not that good - maybe a system that leverages his strengths more would help but he holds the ball SO DAMN LONG when the pressure is on.

1 minute ago, almagest said:

Maybe. It's hard to say. I just think he's not that good - maybe a system that leverages his strengths more would help but he holds the ball SO DAMN LONG when the pressure is on.

I thought he did well against pressure in the first half. Getsy also moved him outside the pocket quite a bit and he actually looked good. 

• Like 1

Man, I was starting to believe for a minute. Not believe that they were playoff caliber, but believe they were not all that bad. I know Denvers D is the hottest of all garbage, but Justin was still making plays he needed to start making regardless of how bad their D is. Made a few tight coverage throws which we haven't really seen much of and he was throwing in the face of some pressure. Regardless of how bad their D is, the pressure and tight coverage on some of those throws was encouraging.  

Those last 2 turnovers though and just the overall loss totally killed my good vibes though. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I thought he did well against pressure in the first half. Getsy also moved him outside the pocket quite a bit and he actually looked good. 

As soon as Denver adjusted Fields had nothing, though. The first half was fool's gold.

5 minutes ago, almagest said:

As soon as Denver adjusted Fields had nothing, though. The first half was fool's gold.

There was some atrocious play calling and untimely penalties that killed drives as well

not absolving Fields from blame but the second half was as undisciplined as the first half was disciplined 

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

There was some atrocious play calling and untimely penalties that killed drives as well

not absolving Fields from blame but the second half was as undisciplined as the first half was disciplined 

Yeah I'm not at all saying Fields is the main reason they lost. It was a complete team effort. What I'm saying is I think that even with a competent team and coaching staff he won't be enough to get them playoff wins.

17 minutes ago, almagest said:

Yeah I'm not at all saying Fields is the main reason they lost. It was a complete team effort. What I'm saying is I think that even with a competent team and coaching staff he won't be enough to get them playoff wins.

If anything, today was the day to say that it was definitely not Fields' fault they lost. You couldn't really say that the past 3 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If anything, today was the day to say that it was definitely not Fields' fault they lost. You couldn't really say that the past 3 weeks. 

I just can't look past that last drive and the Broncos being so bad on defense.

Fields overall played really well. That fumble that Denver took for the TD is kind of hard to pin on him, as soon as he turned around, there was a defender in his grill so I'm giving him a pass on that one. The INT was apparently a miscommunication, according to Kmet...and yes, Fields still holds on to the ball way to long, he needs to make decisions quicker.

I pin this loss more on the HC than anyone else, his defense still can't stop anyone when it matters, and that going for it instead of kicking the FG was dumb and even dumber was the play call on 4th down. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Carolina lost today as well. Bears own #1 and #2 picks currently.

Man if they get Lincoln Riley to pair with Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison Jr that would be one hell of a shot in the arm. 

40 minutes ago, T R U said:

Man if they get Lincoln Riley to pair with Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison Jr that would be one hell of a shot in the arm. 

If it happens, they probably can’t pass on Harrison Jr, but they need an edge rush SO badly. And I don’t know how they find a real impact DE without using a 1st rounder 

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

If it happens, they probably can’t pass on Harrison Jr, but they need an edge rush SO badly. And I don’t know how they find a real impact DE without using a 1st rounder 

If they’re bold, they can trade down from #2 to #3 and still get Harrison while adding an extra 2nd or something like that.

Or they could actually draft both QBs and hope that one of them work out.