2023-24 NFL Season Thread

Against certain defenses the ball needs to come out quick.

With Bagent this seemed to happen and the offense seeemed to be crisp and in a flow.

I am not certain if a coaching staff can fix Fields flaws and get the best out of him but Getsy stinks.

I still think Fields can win and the team strength via draft capital can be built around him.

Let new HC and OC determine with Poles and Warren what is best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

It's annoying because I don't like dismissing fields, who as a person shows up the right way and plays hard and doesn't complain.

But the, you know, conversation around him is so obnoxious. I definitely think he's a top 32 QB in the league. But games like yesterday are all too common where despite being the best player on the field, he's unable to make the plays to will them into position.

Cleveland is a very good defense, and it was a very good game! He was rushed  a lot! I don't expect him to throw for 4 TDs, but I did want to see like...6 second half points. 

The next QB that comes in is going to have a much better offense surrounding him than fields did. And that's unfair. But I don't think it hides the truth. 

If I'm Poles, if Tee Higgins gets to FA you give him the money. You take Williams + a JC Latham or tackle (I don't really know where we'll be picking I"m assuming 11-13 range). You draft a receiver in the third and then a bunch more lineman in the 4th-6th.

I think we end up winning 6 or 7 games. Losing out puts us in the top 5. I'd honestly just rather lose out unless a week 18 win keeps the Packers out of the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I think we end up winning 6 or 7 games. Losing out puts us in the top 5. I'd honestly just rather lose out unless a week 18 win keeps the Packers out of the playoffs.

I think at this point I don't care either way, I don't like the idea of losing out just because it may mean regression from some good young players (or injuries that linger into next year). 

I had fun rooting for some meaningful football yesterday, I'll take some wins.

FWIW, Fields just had his worst PFF rating of the year yesterday at 48. His season rating before that was 75.1. 

I think it's time to move on. Hopefully he plays well enough for the rest of the season for a team like Atlanta to give up a 2nd rounder for him. 

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

FWIW, Fields just had his worst PFF rating of the year yesterday at 48. His season rating before that was 75.1. 

I think it's time to move on. Hopefully he plays well enough for the rest of the season for a team like Atlanta to give up a 2nd rounder for him. 

It’s just so maddening to me how people can’t see it with Fields. If you have to wait until these final weeks to make a decision, then the decision has already been made. We know what we have. Maybe he’s “good enough” for a fringe playoff team (which the Bears could be), but that shouldn’t be enough. Expect more, Bears fans. Start raising the expectations. We all wanted Fields to be the franchise QB, but it’s not working for him here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

It’s just so maddening to me how people can’t see it with Fields. If you have to wait until these final weeks to make a decision, then the decision has already been made. We know what we have. Maybe he’s “good enough” for a fringe playoff team (which the Bears could be), but that shouldn’t be enough. Expect more, Bears fans. Start raising the expectations. We all wanted Fields to be the franchise QB, but it’s not working for him here. 

It is the fact that tools wise he has elite skills. If this was Trubisky doing this - we would have wrote him off already. But Fields has flashed some elite skill sets, despite being a mediocre passer and it’s the fact that everyone is enamored with him putting those things together and being special…

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It is the fact that tools wise he has elite skills. If this was Trubisky doing this - we would have wrote him off already. But Fields has flashed some elite skill sets, despite being a mediocre passer and it’s the fact that everyone is enamored with him putting those things together and being special…

Javy Vasquez syndrome...

• Like 1

"It's good at the top, but it's a bad year to need a guy after the first round," an AFC general manager added to Miller.

I feel like this is such a weird way to grade a QB class. How many years to people need to grab a guy after the first round?

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

"It's good at the top, but it's a bad year to need a guy after the first round," an AFC general manager added to Miller.

I feel like this is such a weird way to grade a QB class. How many years to people need to grab a guy after the first round?

It is crazy. I go back to - the reality is - the best QB's are regularly picked at the top.  They also bust - it happens - but in general, trying to get a starting QB without drafting at the top is a fool(s) errand. Sure you have Wilson, Brady, and Purdy....but that is really going back over the past 20 years.  So 3 good QB's who were taken after 3rd round.  If I expand to 2nd round there was Drew Brees (he was also the 2nd QB picked) and Jalen Hurts (4th QB selected - 1st 4 were Burrow / Tua / Herbert  / Love - talk about a stacked draft).  

The whole rest of the list was 1st rounders (unless I'm missing someone).  So the whole - wait on a QB doesn't make a ton of sense - unless you are still taking one of the higher rated QB's in the draft (it just happened to be a draft where the board didn't have a QB run).   

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It is crazy. I go back to - the reality is - the best QB's are regularly picked at the top.  They also bust - it happens - but in general, trying to get a starting QB without drafting at the top is a fool(s) errand. Sure you have Wilson, Brady, and Purdy....but that is really going back over the past 20 years.  So 3 good QB's who were taken after 3rd round.  If I expand to 2nd round there was Drew Brees (he was also the 2nd QB picked) and Jalen Hurts (4th QB selected - 1st 4 were Burrow / Tua / Herbert  / Love - talk about a stacked draft).  

The whole rest of the list was 1st rounders (unless I'm missing someone).  So the whole - wait on a QB doesn't make a ton of sense - unless you are still taking one of the higher rated QB's in the draft (it just happened to be a draft where the board didn't have a QB run).   

Dak Prescott (4th Rd)

Here's the two non First round QB's who will start and were drafted before 2015:

Tom Brady (6th Rd)

Russell Wilson (3rd Rd)

Kirk Cousins (4th Rd)

Jimmy Garoppolo (2nd Rd)

Derek Carr (2nd Rd)

Here's the list of guys who MIGHT start or who are not "1st string" and were drafted past first round:

Gardner Minshew

Fitzpatrick/Heinicke

Andy Dalton

Drew Lock

Jalen Hurts

49 QB's have been drafted outside of the first round since 2015 and only one is a legit starter in the NFL.

Something to keep in mind before you fall in love with ________.

EDIT:

This was meant to show you won't find a franchise QB outside the 1st Rd, but hey if you want to win a Super Bowl with Drew Lock go ahead (although a last minute win over the Eagles is still a possibility).

source: reddit.com

Wait a minute how is Jalen Hurts part of that second group.  He has been the full time starter for two and a half years and went to the Super Bowl last year 

Fitzpatrick has been retired for like two seasons, Andy Dalton was a full time starter for like a full decade.  Garappallo wasn’t even a starter until he was traded lol

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Wait a minute how is Jalen Hurts part of that second group.  He has been the full time starter for two and a half years and went to the Super Bowl last year 

Fitzpatrick has been retired for like two seasons, Andy Dalton was a full time starter for like a full decade.  Garappallo wasn’t even a starter until he was traded lol

I think it must be an old thread as it's missing Purdy (And Divito ehhh)

I think there's definitely talent that gets missed for QB in later rounds, just weird to downgrade a QB class for the lack of later round talent. Like oh man there is no Desmond Ridder in this class.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ummm...because it's the first answer that popped up, but dated back from a couple years ago and was meant to identify players back to 2015.

And doubled or tripled the number of contributing non 1st round QBs.

SSHM probably has the time to do more comprehensive research lol.

As Reddit user Luck1492 pointed out Wednesday, nearly every team has spent a first-round pick on a quarterback since the turn of the 21st century. In fact, only three haven’t: the Seahawks, Cowboys and Saints.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/04/28/three-nfl-teams-not-drafted-quarterbacks-first-round-21st-century

Edited by caulfield12

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Awful.  I don't like this at all. I don't mind the prime cause a huge universe has it (but don't love it).  But Peacock - I mean come on - this is not something most people have (unless it comes with other streaming subscriptions).  It is awful. 

Tbh, Peacock might be the streaming service that my wife and I use most consistently + it being the cheapest actually makes it not that bad a service. It's user interface has made HUGE leaps since it first launched.

Funnily enough, with password sharing being dropped (and thus my parents no longer using my account), Netflix might be the service that we ax due to its price hike once we get through our backlog.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Opinion? Bills- Chargers Saturday and one wild card game- ONLY on Peacock!!

Indiana-Purdue basketball is also on Peacock only for one game this year. And yeah, this will not only not get me to subscribe but it will leave me holding a grudge, so that I make sure they dont' ever get money from me.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Indiana-Purdue basketball is also on Peacock only for one game this year. And yeah, this will not only not get me to subscribe but it will leave me holding a grudge, so that I make sure they dont' ever get money from me.

This is how I operate. If Peacock wanted to get the rights for like the NBA - fine - I'll go subscribe because I'm an NBA fan and I won't do league pass or whatever.  But when it is this isolated like one-off, that isn't going to drive my behavior, its only going to anger me. Now if Peacock timed this game with a free preview - or whatever - fine.  

But a sport saying - if you want to watch it - you need 5 different subscriptions - forget it, I don't like it.  National Games should be on platform(s) with a national appeal or something close to it.  In my mind - Netflix / Prime are really the only 2 national "streaming" services most stream(ers) have, but I may be off my rocker and bias(ed) to what I personally have. 

I have stayed with cable because keeping track of all the streaming services is a nuisance. Maybe Peacock could try selling the game only for $10. As it is I will follow on the NFL Network as best I can.