28 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

We all had big hope for Kopech. Let's not forget he was the second biggest piece to the 2016 rebuild in the first big trade involving Chris Sale. He is not anywhere close to that pitcher we thought we were getting. He has lost that upper 90's velocity that was suppose to be his strength. His secondary pitches are not strong either. Sadly for us, he might be nothing more than a future middle reliever. 

Any chance they send him to AAA and try to get it all together? Or, would it destroy him being sent down?

Just now, Saufley said:

Any chance they send him to AAA and try to get it all together? Or, would it destroy him being sent down?

Maybe if he gets shelled like 5x in a row. We’re so far from that being a possibility right now. It’s literally a single start. 

49 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I said Ruiz needed be DFA after the last bad outing and now with this even worse debacle outing he needs to absolutely 100 percent be F*@#ing DFA tonight. 

In three outings he has 2 innings, 6 hits, 7 ER's, 3 BB's 31.50 ERA, Whip 4,50, 2 HR's. His fastball is much slower than in previous years and still has zero movement. His slider is pathetic and not a major league secondary pitch.

Let me remind everyone he was bad last year as well In 2022 he had a 4.60 ERA, 1.42 Whip. Let's quit with this nonsense he will turn it around and he is just off to a bad start and it's only 5 games in. 

This once again, is all on Rick Hahn and his front office of scouts and executives who have no clue in how to identify pitching talent, then drafting or trading for it and then finally and most importantly, then coaching and developing it.

Only with a loser POS owner like JR, can an inept GM like Hahn still have a job.

Ruiz is our right handed Diekman.  Both are only suitable for mop up duties.  Bad job by Hahn starting the season with these two losers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TitoMB345 said:

I think next time Hahn should consider putting together a good bullpen. Feels like the impact could be grand.

Haven’t you heard the Sox have the highest paid bullpen in the league! The leagues best! 

• Like 3

Was at the game. Yes it’s sucked, yes Kopech got teed up today. Ruiz yes DFA.

I don’t know what to make of it with Kopech, and obviously he has the stuff and has been effective in some roles. It could be like Lopez, where he takes a long path to better role.  

8 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Was at the game. Yes it’s sucked, yes Kopech got teed up today. Ruiz yes DFA.

I don’t know what to make of it with Kopech, and obviously he has the stuff and has been effective in some roles. It could be like Lopez, where he takes a long path to better role.  

The turning point was exactly when I started to type "Kopech looks like he's added more movement to his fastball. Looks awesome."

That's when he gave up his first homer to Pederson.

I think next time, the key to his success is that I just need to STFU and resist any urge to comment on his positive performance.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Maybe if he gets shelled like 5x in a row. We’re so far from that being a possibility right now. It’s literally a single start. 

So many here seem done with him. Admittedly, I didn't watch him in spring training at all. Did he look completely broken beyond repair during ST or something? 

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

So many here seem done with him. Admittedly, I didn't watch him in spring training at all. Did he look completely broken beyond repair during ST or something? 

The same as he did after the first.  91-94 mph with no command

Bad...just bad. Maybe it wouldn't matter as much if it was in mid-June but it was the home opener in front of 37 thousand. Of all the times to really suck.

More and more I'm thinking the injuries and sitting out the COVID season have caused Kopech to regress badly. He was lit up in the spring and now today.

Grifol said afterwards maybe he was tipping pitches, they are going to watch the video. Let's hope that's the case because if it isn't...that's real trouble.

I ask again for the second time in five days, why is Ruiz on this team. He's brutal. I'd rather see someone fresh off the farm instead of him. He's had plenty of chances and all he does is suck.

Won't be easy Wednesday either, Logan Webb for San Francisco.

The Sox had issues winning at home last year, let's hope this isn't the start of continuing into another season.

1. This was the equivalent of Kopech's final ST start so there is no need for knee jerk reactions 

2. Kopech showed some great stuff early before the rain and had a good looking changeup that got better as the game went on

3. For coming off offseason surgery and a late start to ST, Kopech looks right on track as long as he continues to show improvement 

4. At least two of the HR's were good pitches in the called location but SF just put a better swing on it 

5. It's start 1 of hopefully 32, Kopech will be just fine and even more so if the velocity comes back to him as the knee gets stronger the further away from surgery he gets

• Like 4

The seven home runs the Giants hit today are one short of the record against the Sox. The Yankees hit eight on July 31, 2007 at Yankee Stadium. Jose Contreras gave up three, Charlie Haeger two and Gavin Floyd three.

Only two other Sox pitchers have ever allowed five home runs in a game, Eddie Lopat in 1947 and Reynaldo Lopez in 2018. 

9 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

1. This was the equivalent of Kopech's final ST start so there is no need for knee jerk reactions 

While I appreciate the optimism... Kopech's final ST start should have been in ST.

Today should probably have been treated as his first regular season start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

This team is going absolutely nowhere 

How can you be so certain? Should we make a list of posters panicking and wetting the bed after five games?

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

We all had big hope for Kopech. Let's not forget he was the second biggest piece to the 2016 rebuild in the first big trade involving Chris Sale. He is not anywhere close to that pitcher we thought we were getting. He has lost that upper 90's velocity that was suppose to be his strength. His secondary pitches are not strong either. Sadly for us, he might be nothing more than a future middle reliever. 

Sale had one good year since then and has had a plethora of injuries. I’m not worried about that trade at all, it was the right move at the right time.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

How can you be so certain? Should we make a list of posters panicking and wetting the bed after five games?

Sale had one good year since then and has had a plethora of injuries. I’m not worried about that trade at all, it was the right move at the right time.

I would actually love this, lol

Edited by ron883

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

And Yoan is finally looking good.  Apparently the WBC helped him.

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

I would actually love this, lol

Let’s harvest the thread then and pull out the names of the people panicking and are saying the season is basically over after the first five games. I’ll take the first half and you can take the second half.?

Just now, hankchifan said:

And Yoan is finally looking good.  Apparently the WBC helped him.

Yoan has been serviceable even if he hasn’t been a star. I’ll take it over not having someone of his caliber at third base. I’d still probably take him over Burger.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Ok, let’s start with the hiring of Pedro, I was sort of ok with it. Everyone should be given a chance. I’ve watched the 1st 5 games and I question a few things he’s done. Without getting into great detail, I think some of his lineups are questionable. His use of the bullpen in definitely questionable. Leaving Kopech in there as long as he did is cause for concern. Did he forget that tomorrow is an off day and he could used the bullpen a lot earlier. I’ll be patient the 1st month as long as they end up around.500. Like I said, everyone deserves a chance. 

I like that Pedro brought back the running game.  TLR discarded it last season, and we hit into many double plays.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Let’s harvest the thread then and pull out the names of the people panicking and are saying the season is basically over after the first five games. I’ll take the first half and you can take the second half.?

Yoan has been serviceable even if he hasn’t been a star. I’ll take it over not having someone of his caliber at third base. I’d still probably take him over Burger.

Burger’s defense is suspect.  I’ll rather stick with Yoan.

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

Ruiz is our right handed Diekman.  Both are only suitable for mop up duties.  Bad job by Hahn starting the season with these two losers.

When you say mop up I think men's room but Ruiz has some seniority. 

• Haha 1