3 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Ruiz is our right handed Diekman.  Both are only suitable for mop up duties.  Bad job by Hahn starting the season with these two losers.

Hard to give up on a converted catcher who reaches 100+.  Remember when a guy we called Juan Disgusto added a new pitch and became the hottest reliever in the NL?  Hard, but not out of the question.

28 minutes ago, Green Line said:

It was disgraceful.  But the angry mob ran TLR out of town and they'll be begging for him back soon.

I don't think you are being serious given how disastrous last year went with many of the issues caused by TLR himself. 

32 minutes ago, Green Line said:

It was disgraceful.  But the angry mob ran TLR out of town and they'll be begging for him back soon.

WTF are you on about?  Nobody is every going to want that embarrassment back here.  Nobody.  If Grifol turned out to be the worst manager in baseball (he won't be, despite whatever the ultra-overreacting sky-is-falling doomsayers wanna say), he would still be a GIANT upgrade over LaRussa.  That numbskull was HISTORICALLY terrible.  Like, more than once last year, he made a boneheaded decision so inexplicable that it had never happened before in the history of baseball.  Like, literally.  The Sox would be better off with no manager at all than they were with LaRussa here.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Ruiz is our right handed Diekman.  Both are only suitable for mop up duties.  Bad job by Hahn starting the season with these two losers.

At least I've seen individual games where Ruiz has decent command and pitches well.  Diekman is, well, I don't know what he is, but he aint a major league pitcher.  Even if it's a small percentage chance, Ruiz still has the potential to be effective because of his stuff and occasional very good outing.  There is zero chance Diekman will improve, because he's been exactly this for many years now.

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Except they had him miss a turn for whatever reason.  So while most all SPs in baseball got 5 starts and around 20ish innings, Kopech had 4 and only 12 innings.  

So in general Kopech is now built up to about where everyone else was to start the season 

And for Kopech coming back from an offseason surgery, he will probably need another start or 2 until he gets dialed in.  

3rd or 4th week of April should be where Kopech has his put up or shut up games.  

Personally I think by then he will be putting up big numbers and shutting up some fans that are already calling for the hook 

I guess my point is that there's such a thing as extended spring training to do what you're saying he was doing today (build up to where everyone else was to star the season). There's such a thing as rehab (or, again, extended spring training) to help him get "dialed in."

Do I give him a little more slack because of his surgery? Maybe, and maybe I do need to give him more, but today still counts the same in the standings as any of the other 161 games. Why waste it on a guy if your sole objective is to do what you could do in a risk-free Spring Training environment?

52 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Dude, I know your shtick is to always go against the grain, but the organization is the definition of mediocre and will always be until unfortunately Jerry goes

No, that is your shtick.....Dude.

• TLR 1

10 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I guess my point is that there's such a thing as extended spring training to do what you're saying he was doing today (build up to where everyone else was to star the season). There's such a thing as rehab (or, again, extended spring training) to help him get "dialed in."

Do I give him a little more slack because of his surgery? Maybe, and maybe I do need to give him more, but today still counts the same in the standings as any of the other 161 games. Why waste it on a guy if your sole objective is to do what you could do in a risk-free Spring Training environment?

Its 1 game.  1 game of Davis Martin is still no worse than Kopech and too top that off, extended ST has trash not MLB caliber hitters.  

You guys are the same ones that would be screaming for the Rangers to cut Degrom after his first start lmao 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Its 1 game.  1 game of Davis Martin is still no worse than Kopech and too top that off, extended ST has trash not MLB caliber hitters.  

You guys are the same ones that would be screaming for the Rangers to cut Degrom after his first start lmao 

And to add to this.  They aren't gonna use one of their limited (like 5 times per player) call ups for 1 game.  

6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

deGrom still had elite stuff, despite bad results.  What we’ve seen all ST and in today’s game is that Kopech has either lost his velocity or he’s not fully recovered.  This was absolutely not a fluke today considering how he’s been throwing for the last month.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

deGrom still had elite stuff, despite bad results.  What we’ve seen all ST and in today’s game is that Kopech has either lost his velocity or he’s not fully recovered.  This was absolutely not a fluke today considering how he’s been throwing for the last month.

The Astros despite missing two regulars would have torched him even more than the Giants did...but maybe he would have had more pride down there since he's actually from Texas if I recall correctly.

Just now, fathom said:

Lol.  

Kopech had some great (elite at times) stuff today.  Before the rain Kopech was up to 97, had big movement on the fastball, tight breaking balls and a killer changeup.  

Once the rain hit, Kopech lost the spin on the breakers and the fastball didn't have the late life.   The changeup was elite and only got better as the game went on.   

This outting was a win for Kopech as it showed him what the changeup can do and built up the strength (as well as may have exposed him tipping pitches).  Now he comes out in his next start and makes adjustments, its called baseball 

11 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Lol.  

Kopech had some great (elite at times) stuff today.  Before the rain Kopech was up to 97, had big movement on the fastball, tight breaking balls and a killer changeup.  

Once the rain hit, Kopech lost the spin on the breakers and the fastball didn't have the late life.   The changeup was elite and only got better as the game went on.   

This outting was a win for Kopech as it showed him what the changeup can do and built up the strength (as well as may have exposed him tipping pitches).  Now he comes out in his next start and makes adjustments, its called baseball 

A win for Kopech?  Maybe if his goal is early retirement.  Sox fans are so beaten down by this organization they are starting to lose it - I think they call it Stockholm Syndrome.

17 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Lol.  

Was it raining that hard there?  Sure didn’t seem enough where it would cause a pitcher to lose 3-5 mph on the fastball.  It seemed more that he had the opening game adrenaline going in the first, and when that wore off, he was right back to how he’s looked the last few weeks.  If anything, today did nothing to quiet Bruce Levine’s ongoing battle to make him the closer.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Was it raining that hard there?  Sure didn’t seem enough where it would cause a pitcher to lose 3-5 mph on the fastball.  It seemed more that he had the opening game adrenaline going in the first, and when that wore off, he was right back to how he’s looked the last few weeks.  If anything, today did nothing to quiet Bruce Levine’s ongoing battle to make him the closer.

Nope. And not very long either.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kopech being merely a closer would hurt enough. Bruce being right about it would be adding salt to the wound.  

Cease was topping out at like 95 in his last ST start. Came out and averaged 97+ in the opener. Clevinger also gained a couple mph from his last spring appearance.

Kopech hit 95-96mph even in that last inning, it just wasn't consistent. So if this was effectively him "catching up" with the rest of the guys after a delayed ramp up, it's not wild to think his velo will increase/stabilize. 

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

Lol.  

The same type of winning as a quality start when your ERA is 5.40?