Who would you rather have?

The Beast

Depends on the price.  Colon at 14 mill or Ponson at 7...well I'd take Ponson.  And if you tell me Ponson and Pettite at a total of 15 mill, then I'd definately go with option B.

Whoa...that'd be sweet...

Ponson

Buehrle

Loaiza

Petitte

Garland

MMM BEASTLY

Whoa...that'd be sweet...

Ponson

Buehrle

Loaiza

Petitte

Garland

MMM BEASTLY

And that takes pressure off the Sox in terms of spending big bucks on the pen.

As long as Scho is happy, who knows if he would be.

Then your pen looks like this:

Marte

Koch

Wright

Scho

Wunsch

Gordon/Sully/Hawkins/FA

Munoz/Sanders/Whoever

If the pen struggles then the Sox go out and look for something, but I think they should have one spot open for Munoz/Sanders/Rauch or whoever else. I like Wright and Scho in the pen and I think we all love Marte. The key is getting one more stud in there and Hawkins would be my top choice.

I know one thing, trading Maggs opens up a lot of options for the Sox and if they can unload Konerko with him, then all of a sudden that rotation has a possibility and thats a rotation that can carry a team and should be able to withstand injuries, especially when you have the likes of Cotts/Rauch/Wright/Show capable of stepping in.

If somehow Thomas goes, then the Sox really have things. I think it all starts with the possibility of Nick Johnson and Alfonso Soriano coming here. Those two would be able to come dirt cheap allowing the Sox to spend money in other areas and both of them are gonna be stars. Soriano already is and I like Johnson a whole lot.

Gimme Colon because..... I'm telling all of you..... if Colon don't sign for that money JR is offering, JR will take it off the table AND HE WILL NOT COMMIT IT to signing a Ponson and another pitcher of equal talent. Trust me.

Me thinks you are right on that one, Killa....JR had to do some serious swallowing of pride just to offer that to Colon. He damn sure isn't gonna leave that offer out for another pitcher.

Me thinks you are right on that one, Killa....JR had to do some serious swallowing of pride just to offer that to Colon. He damn sure isn't gonna leave that offer out for another pitcher.

I'd tell JR, spread it out to two and the chances of it blowing up in your face are a whole lot less. One may suck or get hurt but the odds of both doing it are a lot less.

I know Its a pipedream, but if the Sox move Maggs/Konerko and lose out on the Colon sweepstakes then set aside 15 mill on those two guys and get em in here.

After that sure up the pen with a signing and then look to cheaper area and get yourself a ss and a vet or two to fill in the bench.

If you have 15 mill invested in those two, an extension for garland at say 2.5 mill for a few seasons and Buehrle at 5 mill or so and Loaiza at 4.5 then you have 27 mill invested in your starting rotation. Sure its a lot, but thats what wins games. Consider the fact that you had 22 mill between Konerko/Maggs this year and I'd say the staff is definately the better investment.

if Pettitte goes anywhere, it will be Houston.

That's where he is from.

not sure if they will spend the bucks, but he is allegedly amenable to a creative deal.

That team needs to restructure.

The Biggio/Bagwell/Hidalgo/Berkman approach has not worked

I look for them to get rid of one of those hitters and spend on pitching.

Can't see Pettitte come to the Sox. No reason for him to do that other than money and we're not going to overpay for him.

if Pettitte goes anywhere, it will be Houston.

That's where he is from.

not sure if they will spend the bucks, but he is allegedly amenable to a creative deal.

That team needs to restructure.

The Biggio/Bagwell/Hidalgo/Berkman approach has not worked

I look for them to get rid of one of those hitters and spend on pitching.

Can't see Pettitte come to the Sox. No reason for him to do that other than money and we're not going to overpay for him.

I know the Angels are interested in getting at least one of the good starters on the market.

My question with Pettite is how are the Astros gonna sign him when they are already really concered over payroll after adding Kent last season. They are really tied up financially to the point they would have to move at least one contract to get Pettite, unless ownership was willing to spend the bucks and right now I'd say the Cubs are gonna be tough to beat out in the central if their pitching stays healthy and they make a few adjustments to their middle infield.

How about this player for 5M/yr

01' 11-8 3.36 ERA 139.1 IP 113 H 13 HR 60 BB 90 SO

02' 8-9 4.29 ERA 184.2 IP 172 H 12 HR 70 BB 112 SO

03' 10-9 3.54 ERA 193.1 IP 197 H 13 HR 60 BB 142 SO

This player has been moved between the pen and rotation over the last 3 years, but has been used almost solely in the rotation the past 2 years. I really think this guy would be a great option for 5M/yr to replace Colon. I really think he could put up a similar ERA to Colon, and the only difference being about 20 IP.

I still think there is a decent shot to land Colon. The one sleeper team that I worry about for Colon is San Diego. With there new stadium they have started to spend money and got themselves a superstar offensive player in Giles to add to the mix, and now will probably look for a front of the rotation pitcher. The big hispanic community in San Diego might also be incouraging for Colon. The fact that Colon has said that he doesn't like NY and Gammons said NY won't go after Colon hard is encouraging. Unless Boston moves either Garciaparra, Ramirez, or Pedro they won't have the financial flexibility to add Colon. Baltimore and Tampa Bay have some money to spend, but if Colon is interested in winning he will probably turn them down like all the other big name FA over the years. Texas might be a possibility. I think Atlanta and Philly will go after Millwood and Maddux instead of Colon. Houston might go after him if they strikeout with Pettite. So I think the market will be weak for Colon IF the NYY aren't big players.