Moncada actually dealing with a back issue.

Greg Hibbard

38 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Solak has been assigned to Charlotte.

Didn't know much about him but Jim Margalus of Sox Machine did a deep dive into today's moves.

Don't expect miracles from Solak is basically what he writes. Guy is defensively challenged and outside of a small stretch with Texas can't hit: 

https://soxmachine.com/2023/04/white-sox-reinstate-eloy-jimenez-from-il-shelve-yoan-moncada/

Memories of AJ Reed and sugar plums dancing in our heads... 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Enough of this crap, Hahn has to go.

I agree on the WBC, bad idea when the guys should be in ST getting in  baseball shape and working on fundamentals.

In Hahn's defense, he had no apparent  reason to build organizational depth given the history of this group of players. Don't woryy about the future, he is now woke.

• Like 1

From my State of the Sox story published in November. I spoke with six sources all connected to the organization in some capacity sometimes for decades:

“The problem is some of these guys just don’t care, they want to win sure but they already have gotten their money with these contracts before they proved anything. Moncada would strike out and just walk back to the dugout like no big deal, he fouls a ball off and now he can’t play for three days? His contract makes him untradable but he needs to go.”

“In 2016 when the rebuild started I thought he (Rick Hahn) did the right thing and he deserved credit for that. I also thought at the time that giving out those long-term deals was good. No one could have foreseen how those contracts impacted those guys and their effort."

"Another one was the Triple Play Game  against the Twins. (Author’s Note: The Sox ran themselves into an 8-5 triple play on July 4. They wound up losing the game 6-3 in extra innings) Adam Engel faced the music afterwards, he made a mistake and owned up to it. Moncada who also made a mistake was nowhere, he was already gone. Then the next day he was saying that he didn’t know people wanted to talk with him.”

“It could happen, maybe there’s a 5% chance this front office could get it right. But first the front office has to admit they made mistakes. The catcher (Yamani Grandal), third baseman (Moncada) and shortstop (Tim Anderson) need to go. They need to get guys with a higher baseball acumen, the lack of urgency, the way they beat themselves this season was embarrassing".

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Now Moncada doesn’t want to provide for his family. Lol.  

No one said that, talk about making an assumption. LOL.............................

Burger has overcome two serious injuries, career enders in some cases given what's happened to guys in the NBA who had it. And he and his wife just had a kid if I remember right.

Moncada fouls a ball off his leg, acts like it needs to be amputated and then can't play for three days.

Give me a break.

Again if I remember right to Sox will owe this stiff 18 million next year. 

I've been around athletes for over 40 years in the business at both the pro and college level, I think I have a good idea of someone who gives a damn. Moncada does not. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

No one said that, talk about making an assumption. LOL.............................

Burger has overcome two serious injuries, career enders in some cases given what's happened to guys in the NBA who had it. And he and his wife just had a kid if I remember right.

Moncada fouls a ball off his leg, acts like it needs to be amputated and then can't play for three days.

Give me a break.

Again if I remember right to Sox will owe this stiff 18 million next year. 

I've been around athletes for over 40 years in the business at both the pro and college level, I think I have a good idea of someone who gives a damn. Moncada does not. 

A lot more than $18. 

$24 million, $25 million club option which will likely be declined the following year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/yoan-moncada-16234/

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

...unlike Moncada I get the sense Burger at least wants to play and to try to provide for his family.

3 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Now Moncada doesn’t want to provide for his family. Lol.  

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Other than you, you mean?

9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Other than you, you mean?

I concede the point, well played.

Allow me to divide the statement. 

I get the sense Burger wants to play, I don't get the same impression about Moncada and provided statements from others close to the organization who feel the same way.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Is Moncada just getting more jacked, or is he....a little chubby?  He looks slightly thicker every time I see him.

People were saying that this offseason as well.  Not going to lie, I've never looked at Moncada and thought "he looks chubby".  

On 4/14/2023 at 3:49 PM, TaylorStSox said:

The WBC is far more entertaining than anything MLB offers. I don't blame the players for playing. 

It's not about entertainment. It's about their commitment and the legal and financial obligations to their ML team that employs them. The MLB players for all these countries, are paid huge millions to play MLB. If your side ventures interfere with your main job, then that is a huge problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

It's not about entertainment. It's about their commitment and the legal and financial obligations to their ML team that employs them. The MLB players for all these countries, are paid huge millions to play MLB. If your side ventures interfere with your main job, then that is a huge problem. 

Sports are entertainment. It's all entertainment. 

Obviously, there is no legal issue as they are allowed to play in the WBC

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Sports are entertainment. It's all entertainment. 

Obviously, there is no legal issue as they are allowed to play in the WBC

I admit I didn't phrase that right, it is about entertainment but that entertainment is suppose to be for the owner that pays the player and the fans that support him in MLB.

I know its legal to play the WBC and I didn't say it wasn't. I said they have moral and legal obligations to their MLB team that pays them multi millions, as the WBC as I last checked doesn't pay their salary. 

If any superstar player during the WBC tears his ACL or pitcher tears their UCL in their arm and in either example, are out for a full year at least, are the owner, manager, teammates and fans all happy and celebrating? Go check and see how happy the Mets owner and manager are that they are losing their all star closer Edwin Diaz for 7 more months. I realize the WBC and MLB have an agreement that requires all players who play in the WBC to have personal injury insurance which goes back to the MLB team owner. However I can't imagine the Mets owner right now excited about receiving compensation from insurance as he lost his stud closer for the season.

Interesting how Dylan Cease was invited to the WBC and respectfully passed on the invite, as he said he wanted to work harder on being prepared for the 2023 White Sox team and season. 

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Considering the WBC is an event staged by MLB I am guessing MLB will get over it

1 minute ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Considering the WBC is an event staged by MLB I am guessing MLB will get over it

The dirty little secret is MLB only sanctions the WBC because they have an agreement with the player's association in that every player is required to buy personal insurance in the event they are injured and can't play for their MLB team. The MLB team gets full compensation for the missed time the player misses.