Fight question

35thstreetswarm

I’ll almost certainly regret starting this topic, but question about that fight footage making the national rounds from Saturday…Has in-game security staffing changed or something?  I’ve seen plenty of fights over the years, but never seen a fight go so long at the stadium without security showing up.  Usually takes a minute or two at most.  That one just went on and on and security wasn’t even there by the end.

13 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I’ll almost certainly regret starting this topic, but question about that fight footage making the national rounds from Saturday…Has in-game security staffing changed or something?  I’ve seen plenty of fights over the years, but never seen a fight go so long at the stadium without security showing up.  Usually takes a minute or two at most.  That one just went on and on and security wasn’t even there by the end.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/16/brawl-ensues-at-white-sox-game-security-hardly-anywhere-to-be-found/

This can only happen under the brilliant ownership of Jerry Reinsdorf and from the leadership of Jerry's stellar executive Rick Hahn.

There were not enough security guards around! Hmm, Jerry must have told Rick in a memo, cut back on the number of security guards to increase the bottom line profit. 

• Like 2

Just now, LittleHurtCG said:

These security guards make like $17 an hour. No way are they going to risk serious injury and get in the middle of a brawl like that. 

What do you mean?  They do exactly that every time there's a fight - it's their job.  Seen it dozens of times.  Fights don't just stop on their own - the security guys haul somebody up the stairs while the crowd cheers.

5 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

What do you mean?  They do exactly that every time there's a fight - it's their job.  Seen it dozens of times.  Fights don't just stop on their own - the security guys haul somebody up the stairs while the crowd cheers.

Have you seen them haul someone up the stairs recently? I saw them do that pre-covid for sure, but the world has changed big time since then.  The security officers who are ex cops or off duty cops don't mess around or at least that is how they used to roll. These low level Paul Blart's aren't gonna be stepping in no major scrum though. 

16 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

These security guards make like $17 an hour. No way are they going to risk serious injury and get in the middle of a brawl like that. 

Those are probably not the ones who are bonded.   In some states there are people bagging groceries for $2 less.

Besides applications for law enforcement are way down.

These incidents happen everywhere.

11 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Have you seen them haul someone up the stairs recently? I saw them do that pre-covid for sure, but the world has changed big time since then.  The security officers who are ex cops or off duty cops don't mess around or at least that is how they used to roll. These low level Paul Blart's aren't gonna be stepping in no major scrum though. 

Yeah, recall there were a couple wild Saturdays in the left field bleachers last season.  Those guys were pretty much posted up at the top of the outfield stairs all game and definitely hauled the instigators out when I was there.

4 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

This is on Drudge Report now.

Why is this getting national news coverage? Because of slow response time? I see fights break out all the time at sporting events. Hell at Sox vs Cubs games there's probably several per game. 

Because it supposedly goes along with the Downtown/Loop Teen Takeover in the minds of Fox News producers? 

Correlation in their eyes... 

• Haha 2

It wasn’t even a good fight. No way anyone was injured by any of the “punches” thrown. Looked like most of the damage was done by the momentum of their own bodies and the ground.

That in mind, I would be pissed if I was sitting with my five year old son in that proximity. 

I am not a prude and I know “fights” happen, but time and place, man. Unfortunately, these are people who probably never consider the time and place with any of their behavior.

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Based on the three games I have attended this year and the ones I went to last year I believe security must have been cut.  They used to have a visible presence in the stands even when things were peaceful, now you never see them.  They have also clearly cut down on ushers.  While they don't break up fights they can at least provide the first call to security when things go bad.  And yes, that was disgraceful on Saturday.  No response at all.  Somebody innocent is going to get seriously hurt eventually if the new Sox response is just to let everyone fight it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoUEvenShift said:

This is on Drudge Report now.

Why is this getting national news coverage? Because of slow response time? I see fights break out all the time at sporting events. Hell at Sox vs Cubs games there's probably several per game. 

There actually used to be way more fights at Cubs/Sox games than there are now - I remember some wild ones.  In the early years I recall just scanning the sections looking for the next one.  Nowadays the games seem pretty sleepy by comparison.

I think the slow response time is part of the coverage, as is the presence of some in social media/conventional media who have a strong interest in promoting any story with a "Chicago bad" angle, but I'll stop there.

40 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Based on the three games I have attended this year and the ones I went to last year I believe security must have been cut.  They used to have a visible presence in the stands even when things were peaceful, now you never see them.  They have also clearly cut down on ushers.  While they don't break up fights they can at least provide the first call to security when things go bad.  And yes, that was disgraceful on Saturday.  No response at all.  Somebody innocent is going to get seriously hurt eventually if the new Sox response is just to let everyone fight it out.

That's how it seems to me as well.  Hope it changes, as there will always be fights at sporting events -- always been that way -- but my experience is that most of them are squashed quickly and easily with even minimal security presence.  But if nobody shows up they have no natural end.  Saturday looked like a good example; as others have said, it was a pretty mild slap-fight that would have been a total non-event if somebody had just shown up toward the beginning.  Instead it kind of lumbered along sweeping more and more people in, people could've been hurt, and now everyone's talking about it.

20 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

And with regards to security: I wonder if they were called away outside and still there. The lines to get in were far over-swelling and did not feel safe at all, even well after the giveaway was gone. I know the fight was much later though.

The Sox may be the only professional sports team in North America that can't figure out how to get 32,000 into a stadium in a reasonably efficient manner.

5 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I am also curious where security was. I haven’t spoken to a close friend who’s a retired cop and work’s security at the park. Not sure if he worked the game. I’m calling him today to see what he knows