Rebuild Time

YonderLaroche

20 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Also, the people of Chicago rejected a tax payer funded Star Wars museum on the lake.  Funding a billion dollar stadium isn’t happening either. 

It was not taxpayer funded.  George Lucas was going to pay for everything.   The Friends of the Park had it killed.   It was one of the stupidest things to happen in the history of Chicago.     

https://chicagoreader.com/columns-opinion/friends-of-the-parks-saved-a-parking-lot-but-effectively-killed-the-lucas-museum/

Lucas is currently building it in LA.  It will be done in 2025.  Would have looked pretty good on the lakefront and brought in many tourist dollars.

https://lucasmuseum.org/

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Fire 2

22 minutes ago, RichieZisk said:

It was not taxpayer funded.  George Lucas was going to pay for everything.   The Friends of the Park had it killed.   It was one of the stupidest things to happen in the history of Chicago.     

https://chicagoreader.com/columns-opinion/friends-of-the-parks-saved-a-parking-lot-but-effectively-killed-the-lucas-museum/

Lucas is currently building it in LA.  It will be done in 2025.  Would have looked pretty good on the lakefront and brought in many tourist dollars.

https://lucasmuseum.org/

Yep. Whole lot of stupid prevent a cool thing.

Absolutely not as long as Rick Hahn, Kenny and all the other Sox FO losers in this pathetic organization are around. If you fire all of the these horrific FO people and bring in some solid GM from a consistent winning organization like the Dodgers, Tampa Bay, who could bring in their "winning plan" and "best practice" philosophies, then hell yes, go with a total rebuild and start getting rid of all these overpriced and garbage talent for young future prospects. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

Am I wrong to speculate that it was a few hundred people that enjoy tailgating 8 times a year that was the driving force to kill that free museum?

Honestly no clue. I thought it was more about preventing green space going towards a building, but I could be wrong. Would have been a huge tourist attraction that would have helped the city. It’s a shame.

2 hours ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

Untradeable: Moncada, Benintendi, Hendriks, probably Clevinger

Easy calls to trade this July:  Lynn, Grandal, Graveman, Kelly

Guys they need to get something for before they go: Giolito, Anderson

Guys who are redundant on a decent team: Sheets, one of Burger/Vaughn/Eloy. My sense would be trade Eloy. 

Guys who could be traded: Cease, Kopech, Bummer

Guys to keep: Robert, Crochet, probably Kopech and or Cease, Colas, and all the other youngsters.

Acquire all prospects, tank this year and 2024. 

They will need to tank far beyond this year and next if they tear this thing down to the studs again.  One of the many issues of the previous rebuild was that they didn't bottom out enough and get any #1 picks. They didn't get a Correa, Bregman, or Kris Bryant to build around. 

Any tank job moving forward needs to be like the Astros one from last decade on steroids. I'm talking at least 5 or 6 consectuive seasons of losing 110 games to guarantee top 2 picks ever year.  The Sox will need as many chips as possible because the front office has no idea on how to draft and develop talent. Just gotta hope there is some can't miss generational talent in some of those drafts. 

5 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

They will need to tank far beyond this year and next if they tear this thing down to the studs again.  One of the many issues of the previous rebuild was that they didn't bottom out enough and get any #1 picks. They didn't get a Correa, Bregman, or Kris Bryant to build around. 

Any tank job moving forward needs to be like the Astros one from last decade on steroids. I'm talking at least 5 or 6 consectuive seasons of losing 110 games to guarantee top 2 picks ever year.  The Sox will need as many chips as possible because the front office has no idea on how to draft and develop talent. Just gotta hope there is some can't miss generational talent in some of those drafts. 

You don't guarantee anything in the draft anymore. 6 team lottery. 

9 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Rodon turned out much better than Tyler Kolek and Brady Aiken... 

11 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

You don't guarantee anything in the draft anymore. 6 team lottery. 

Do all 6 teams have an equal chance at winning the lottery? It would be hilarious and pretty cool if they had those 6 lottery teams play a tournament for the #1 pick each year. 

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Rodon turned out much better than Tyler Kolek and Brady Aiken... 

Yes he did. Even the talented Astros front office screwed up a couple top picks. That is just more evidence that the Sox will need to tank for 7-8 years. They are likely to screw up a bunch of draft picks so they will need more bites at the apple than most. 

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

Am I wrong to speculate that it was a few hundred people that enjoy tailgating 8 times a year that was the driving force to kill that free museum?

Friends of the Park generally automatically opposes any construction whatsoever on the lakefront regardless of purpose and regardless of what it is replacing. Don't think Bears fans had anything to do with it. It would be funny if they did though considering they will be gone in five years.

21 minutes ago, Highland said:

No more tank jobs. This front office wouldn't do it anyway, because they would have to admit they have failed.  There has to be a better way than losing on purpose.

It's called new ownership. 

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Since this rebuild has worked out so great, do it again with the same people. What could possible not lead to multiple championships and sustained winning?

Don’t worry people will forget.

I was never on board with this back in 2017 when they let the people who sank the Titanic captain the rescue boats.  I was ripped, everyone on WSI thought Hahn was the Sox Theo.  Ignore minor league injury history I was told.  Ignore the absolute historical incompetence of this organization I was told.  Hahnsight is 2020 one doofus had as his banner.

Everyone will be on board with the next rebuild.  Once the talking points go out (LaRussa’s fault, bad luck with injuries) all will be forgotten.

It remains worth noting, that despite how tremendously awful the Sox have been, they'll head to Tampa just 4 games back.  A 4 game deficit is frankly not that much - especially in April - and the Twins and Guardians are not good.  That shouldn't make you feel any better about just how awful the Sox have been in this 19 game sample, buttttttt the Sox are far from dead in this division. 

2 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Difference being the Astros were the only show in town.

The Sox have the big evil empire on the North Side.  Five seasons of tanking and you might as well burn the stadium and fumigate the place.  You’ll have lost a generation of kids who will never pick up Sox fandom.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It remains worth noting, that despite how tremendously awful the Sox have been, they'll head to Tampa just 4 games back.  A 4 game deficit is frankly not that much - especially in April - and the Twins and Guardians are not good.  That shouldn't make you feel any better about just how awful the Sox have been in this 19 game sample, buttttttt the Sox are far from dead in this division. 

While there is plenty of time, all of the Sox factors and trends of the last few years are still there. I like to break down seasons into thirds and I wouldn’t be surprised if at 54 games it’s Min 31-23, Cle 29-25, and Sox 23-31.  8 and 6 games behind with 108 games left also isn’t a death sentence, but just being 8 games under and looking like s%*# would probably be enough to get the sell off trade discussions going. I hope they prove me wrong over the next 20 games or so. 

Just now, flavum said:

While there is plenty of time, all of the Sox factors and trends of the last few years are still there. I like to break down seasons into thirds and I wouldn’t be surprised if at 54 games it’s Min 31-23, Cle 29-25, and Sox 23-31.  8 and 6 games behind with 108 games left also isn’t a death sentence, but just being 8 games under and looking like s%*# would probably be enough to get the sell off trade discussions going. I hope they prove me wrong over the next 20 games or so. 

I agree there are a lot of troubling signs.  Sox have looked nothing short of awful.  

I watch a lot of Twins baseball though, and I'd be pretty surprised if that team plays 5 games over .500 in their next 35.  Their offense is bad and their pitching has grossly overachieved so far, and they're still just 11-8 after today.    

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Since this rebuild has worked out so great, do it again with the same people. What could possible not lead to multiple championships and sustained winning?

Since adding guys from the scrap heap to fill the holes on this roster and turning over the coaching staff has worked out so great, do it again with the same people. 

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree there are a lot of troubling signs.  Sox have looked nothing short of awful.  

I watch a lot of Twins baseball though, and I'd be pretty surprised if that team plays 5 games over .500 in their next 35.  Their offense is bad and their pitching has grossly overachieved so far, and they're still just 11-8 after today.    

Maeda's probably due to an IL trip after getting drilled on the ankle.