Sox @ Rays: 540CT - Kopech vs. Faucher: The Turnaround Starts Now

ChiSox59

29 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You’re silly if you think the Abreu and Beni comparison is good. Not signing Abreu allowed you to move a fatty to their natural position and moves another fatty to permanent DH. It’s not hard to use your brain sometimes

Where did they find money from the 2022 payroll in order to pay Benintendi? 

It was arguably Pollock and Abreu among the position players. It wasn't Leury Garcia. That particular money was "spent/sunk" anyway. 

If they had gotten stuck with Pollock for another year...arguably no Benintendi, unless they were going to stubbornlly play him in RF too. 

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Where did they find money from the 2022 payroll in order to pay Benintendi? 

It was arguably Pollock and Abreu among the position players. It wasn't Leury Garcia. That particular money was "spent/sunk" anyway. 

If they had gotten stuck with Pollock for another year...arguably no Benintendi, unless they were going to stubbornlly play him in RF too. 

In retrospect, it probably would have been best to get stuck; now they're tied to an average outfielder for 5 seasons.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

From everything I have read and heard from people who were alive then, that '59 team was the epitome of small ball. 

I'll have the details of that bizarre inning in my This Day In White Sox History thread for April 22.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I guess. As long as Reinsdorf owns the team, the next guy is gonna have all the same mandates and parameters.

That's a great point! We all have to come to grips that until Jerry either passes away or his loss of cognitive abilities is seriously affected from Dementia or Alzheimers and one of his sons needs to take over..."It Is What It Is!"

14 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Normally I'd be hoping this disaster of a team leads to massive changes in the front office but you and I know that even if they are say 25-45 around June 10 nothing will happen. 

Until the owner is removed from the scene and the entire baseball side of the front office is fired nothing will really take place, and even if Hahn would somehow be promoted... another inbred member of the organization would be put in charge and yet again...nothing would change.

It's just an awful position that this incompetent, dysfunctional and inept ownership/organization has put the fans in. 

Just makes you sick.

Your key point here is how this dysfunctional organization doesn't give a crap about their fans. Yet the Sox fans over the years give a major crap about their team and might be some of the most loyal fan bases in baseball, considering the crap and results the Sox owner and FO put on the field for their fans.

I get in pro team sports not all GM's will be successful. An owner makes a choice on his GM and sometimes it doesn't work out. However those owners in all four sports usually do the smart and logical next step, which is to fire their loser GM and find a new one. Yet our loyal Sox fans have the worst owner in all of sports and they are constantly and blatantly screwed for being a loyal Sox fan and hoping for change...just because they have no control and its not happening under the POS Jerry Reinsdorf. Yet the Sox fans keep coming back and pouring money into this horsesh*t dysfunctional owner's team.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

From everything I have read and heard from people who were alive then, that '59 team was the epitome of small ball. 

Still my favorite Sox team even though they didn’t win the World Series like 2005 but these were my boyhood heroes and of course Nellie Fox was my favorite, I cried the day he died at the young age of 47 and again when he finally made it into the Hall of Fame. I was very fortunate to attend game 2 of the World Series at the young age of 13.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I follow the Sox no matter what. I don't let them affect my mood. Sucks to lose and all but nothing we can do about it. I enjoy baseball too much. I'll keep my eyes on Outman, Garrett , Kelenic, Varsho and be happy some of my off season suggestions for the last couple years are doing well.

I will follow them too no matter what, but going forward, there will be no more getting my hopes up and falling for the Rick Hahn false promises, such as multiple championships and see you at the parade BS. Going forward I am only expecting the worse from this team and not getting my hope up anymore. If this team finishes horribly bad and loses 100 games as I suspect, then great and I won't be upset. I will simply say, its good it happened and that Assh*#ole owner and GM deserved it. However in a miraculous case and miracle that the Sox turn this around and make the playoffs, then I will be happy and pleasantly surprised. However the owner will not get a dime from me this year where I take my family to one single game and spend that massive amount of money.  

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

Instead of a complete rebuild, I was thinking of the 2004-2005 moves that were made. Lee dealt, Magglio leaves, Contreras arrives and Hernandez arrives. If they are stuck with the owner and FO they have, why not figure out possible moves to retool at the deadline and offseason. Like, not specifically players to target but positions of need and what they could do about filling those roles.

I would be thrilled if they moved on from and traded any number of guys from the team to get better. But not a rebuild, a retooling.

You may get that at the trade deadline but I preferred getting younger during the last few off seasons mainly because the writing was on the wall already that the rebuild was unsuccessful even though I maintained optimism that some of these guys could stay on the field and live up to there earlier press clippings.

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Still my favorite Sox team even though they didn’t win the World Series like 2005 but these were my boyhood heroes and of course Nellie Fox was my favorite, I cried the day he died at the young age of 47 and again when he finally made it into the Hall of Fame. I was very fortunate to attend game 2 of the World Series at the young age of 13.

I heard they were so exciting to watch. Aparicio led off and would get on with a walk or hit and then steal second. Then Nellie Fox who batted #2 drove him in with a simple single. 

From what I've read the 1959 World Series road games played in LA and were completely unfair because the Sox had to play the away games in the Los Angels Memorial Coliseum, which was obviously not a baseball stadium and the outfield dimensions were an absurd joke between left field and right field.  Plus the Sox could only get 47,000 fans in the old Comiskey Park and the LA Coliseum held over 92,000 yelling fans. 

6 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I heard they were so exciting to watch. Aparicio led off and would get on with a walk or hit and then steal second. Then Nellie Fox who batted #2 drove him in with a simple single. 

From what I've read the 1959 World Series road games played in LA and were completely unfair because the Sox had to play the away games in the Los Angels Memorial Coliseum, which was obviously not a baseball stadium and the outfield dimensions were an absurd joke between left field and right field.  Plus the Sox could only get 47,000 fans in the old Comiskey Park and the LA Coliseum held over 92,000 yelling fans. 

The Sox players I spoke with didn't mind because the players got a share based on attendance. 92,000 in the stands meant a bigger payoff. 

11 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Right on all counts plus they had great pitching and defense, they also had the best Sox manager of all time in Al Lopez but he made a big mistake in not giving  giving Billy Pierce a start in the Series, I know he didn’t want to start a lefty in the Coliseum with the short left field which was only 250 feet down the line, game 2 at Comiskey should have been Billy’s start then Shaw in game 3 in LA, Wynn again in game 4, Donovan in game 5, Shaw or Pierce in game 6 back at Comiskey and Wynn for game 7.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

2 hours ago, Soxfest said:

Pedro hire is a complete disaster 

What did we expect! Does Hahn ever get much right?

Hahn interviews long time KC coach Pedro and gives him the job, even though KC has been one the worst teams in baseball over the last 6-7 years. Then the best part is, our genius GM didn't take the hint from KC, in that their GM didn't have any desire to hire Pedro and went out to a winning organization like Tampa Bay and hired their bench coach for the KC job. 

The game winning hits just keep rolling along from the knucklehead Hahn!

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 1

It's like for 3 days the offense looks good but the pitching and defense is crap. Then the pitching and defense are good and then the offense is crap. Or the starters look good and offense is decent and then the pen blows it. One of the (many, many) issues of this team is it is never firing on all cylinders.

6 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Hahn interviews long time KC coach Pedro and gives him the job, even though KC has been one the worst teams in baseball over the last 6-7 years. Then the best part is, our genius GM didn't take the hint from KC, in that their GM didn't have any desire to hire Pedro and went out to a winning organization like Tampa Bay and hired their bench coach for the KC job. 

The bench coach who preceded Quatraro in TB is currently our bench coach. I’m not sure how much that matters. 

36 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Pedro Groinpol still learning the ropes. Need some bullpen help. 

22 minutes ago, Pale Sox said:

The bench coach who preceded Quatraro in TB is currently our bench coach. I’m not sure how much that matters. 

A manager is obviously a much more important person than the bench coach. Plus who knows how much if any Pedro listens to his coaches.

My only point was people are complaining how Grifol has turned out to be a poor choice and rightfully so. My only point was look at the path Hahn took interviewing a coach that his own team didn't want. 

Just now, pcq said:

Pedro Groinpol still learning the ropes. Need some bullpen help. 

I agree and by no means is this disaster team solely the fault of Pedro. It's clearly the fault of his boss Rick Hahn who assembled this horrific team for him. Pedro is a rookie manager "learning the ropes" as you mentioned. However Rick Hahn is not a rookie GM and had plenty of years to turn this team around, but "still hasn't learned the ropes!"