2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

In Mock Draft 1.0 for Kiley McDaniel he has Sox taking Hagen Smith and said they’d likely take any of the 4 players who went ahead of him as well: Condon, Bazzana, Burns and Caglianone. 

• Thanks 1

Am I the only one who has pause with Cags? The fact that he won't be pitching, is a 1B, and teams are concerned about the chase rate worries me. I would feel a lot better about dude if he had a different defensive outlook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Am I the only one who has pause with Cags? The fact that he won't be pitching, is a 1B, and teams are concerned about the chase rate worries me. I would feel a lot better about dude if he had a different defensive outlook.

Counter point: Giant man hits giant bombs.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Counter point: Giant man hits giant bombs.

Yea. I've drooled over the clips. The bat just needs to be special and It does often look that way.

Just asking myself why I would want Cags if I'm also not into Kurtz. Andrew Vaughn has pretty much eliminated my desire to draft any 1st basemen with an early first round pick.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

After Vaughn and Torkleson's struggles, I get it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Yea. I've drooled over the clips. The bat just needs to be special and It does often look that way.

Just asking myself why I would want Cags if I'm also not into Kurtz.

Cags might have a higher ceiling.

While Cags has 40 less at-bats, he has more hits, a higher OPS, more total bases. Kurtz has a higher strikeout rate if my napkin math is remotely correct (and to be fair, walk rate).

36 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I just couldn't do it with a top 5 pick. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Many guys I'd rather have over another 1B.

Posted (edited)

If the system wasn't so bereft of impact position players I would be falling over myself to draft Hagen Smith. I still might be regardless of that.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 3

I wanted vaughn (though I was also not anti-abrams which was actually good because he was viewed as the devil on this board) and sigh, also madrigal, but one thing I"ve had to check myself on is a lot of the baseball writers that scout are pretty romantic about college baseball. 

His size and length of his swing, his 18% k rate, those are just kinda scary to me at 5. At 15, at 20, it would be sweet. I am not sure I understand how much I see his size and think "he's maxed out" and if that's even true, he may still be able to keep his speed I have no sense for that stuff.

But the swing, just not sure. 

He's fun as hell though, and I'm scared some of the scout writers just want to see that in the mlb.

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

If the system wasn't so bereft of impact position players I would be falling over myself to draft Hagen Smith. I still might be regardless of that.

One question I struggle with is - have the sox actually performed better than you'd expect with pitchers like Smith or worse? I actually lean a little better - feels like they did better harnassing stuff then getting guys with command to play up as well as the guardians do. 

I'd be ok going smith. Would be nice if we could supplement it with an intl class with some big swings.

I am fine with anyone in the Smith, Burns, Rainer, Griffin group. I question drafting a 1b, 2b, or corner of at 5. That said, the Sox need to add impact bats to the system. I wonder whether they might throw in prospect pitching to get a prospects bat at the deadline. If they add Smith to the group, you gotta imagine players like Cannon, Bush, Eder, Adams, Pallette, and MacDougal could be thrown in with say a Fedde to get someone like Kjerstad, Mayo, Norby or Beavers from Baltimore.

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I am fine with anyone in the Smith, Burns, Rainer, Griffin group. I question drafting a 1b, 2b, or corner of at 5. That said, the Sox need to add impact bats to the system. I wonder whether they might throw in prospect pitching to get a prospects bat at the deadline. If they add Smith to the group, you gotta imagine players like Cannon, Bush, Eder, Adams, Pallette, and MacDougal could be thrown in with say a Fedde to get someone like Kjerstad, Mayo, Norby or Beavers from Baltimore.

This is where I am at in terms of the draft.  Smith, Griffin, and Rainer are who I'd want to target.  I want very little to do with the college bats that may be there at 5.

4 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Going to take more than that for Kjerstad.

With their new venture capital injection...they would likely go vet and take on salary rather than give away minor league talent IMO.

4 hours ago, Timmy U said:

While the Orioles have infinitely better prospects than Dominic Fletcher, Getz doing pitching prospect-for-hitting prospect deals scares me.

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Going to take more than that for Kjerstad.

With their new venture capital injection...they would likely go vet and take on salary rather than give away minor league talent IMO.

They are approaching use it or lose it on some of these players. Norby and Beavers for sure have no place to play. Trading them for pitching with 6 years of control would make sense. Otherwise, they are going to find themselves in a Michael Busch situation.  I can see them asking for someone who is further from 40 man protection, but eventually they are going to have to deal with their surplus.

6 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I’m worried too. I remember Brendan McKay being can’t miss 

6 hours ago, bmags said:

I just couldn't do it with a top 5 pick. 

The only corner profile I’d take at 5 is Condon 

5 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Burns, Smith, Griffin or Rainer for me. If all 4 are gone, you run in the card with Condon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’m worried too. I remember Brendan McKay being can’t miss 

The only corner profile I’d take at 5 is Condon 

Burns, Smith, Griffin or Rainer for me. If all 4 are gone, you run in the card with Condon. 

Yup.