2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Mayo's new mock has the Sox taking Cags

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-may-30?partnerID=web_article-share

I feel like this would become the most contentious pick in this board's history. Some (me) would be ecstatic. Others would rue it.

If it were just Vaughn I would be less scared, but seeing Torkelson on the same road makes it more scary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quin said:

Mayo's new mock has the Sox taking Cags

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-may-30?partnerID=web_article-share

I feel like this would become the most contentious pick in this board's history. Some (me) would be ecstatic. Others would rue it.

I feel like we're often on the same page with draft prospects that we covet.

I did see that our guy Jakson Reetz was playing the Majors recently with the Giants. We both really wanted the Sox to get him in the 3rd RD when they took Jace Fry instead. That was 2014! 10 years ago!

• Thanks 1

I would not draft a college 1b. It’s not just Vaughn and Torkelson.  There’s also Pavin Smith, Nolan Schanual made to the majors but he’s not gonna be an impact bat.  Jacob Berry looks like a bust.  Remember Michael Toglia? Cuz I don’t. First rounder out of UCLA. How about Logan Davidson?  May I interest you in Seth Beer?  Point is, college 1b is a risky demo. If the Sox believe Cags can play a corner of, I would be better with it. Personally, I want someone who can at least start up the middle when picking 1-5. But I will admit, Sox do need impact bats.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

New BA mock....

"5. White Sox — JJ Wetherholt, SS, West Virginia

A lack of playing time thanks to a hamstring injury hurt Wetherholt’s draft stock. Since he’s been back in West Virginia’s lineup he’s been the exact player he was expected to be entering the season. Wetherholt is a career .376/.500/.663 hitter with West Virginia and his underlying batted ball data is remarkably similar to Travis Bazzana’s. Bazzana has done a better job pulling the ball in the air to capitalize on his power, but I’m not sure there’s a significant raw power difference between the two. 

The biggest separator for Wetherholt is the fact that he’s actively playing shortstop. That gives him a chance for the best defensive value of any of the top six college hitters in the class and if there’s a thought that his hit/power combo is as good as Bazzana’s, why couldn’t he fit at the very top of the class?"

31 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I actually don't hate Wetherholt. Might be on an island here with that.

I don't hate him, but I would say the worst pairing in the world would have to be Wetherholts soft tissue and the chicago white sox.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I would have a big open mind for all the position players we've discussed, though just can't pull trigger for the 1bs.

The big reason : there is no big chasm between Keith Law's rankings and these middle infielders even if their profiles don't scream out to me.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't hate him, but I would say the worst pairing in the world would have to be Wetherholts soft tissue and the chicago white sox.

This is a spectacular turn of phrase and I am here for it.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

New BA mock....

"5. White Sox — JJ Wetherholt, SS, West Virginia

A lack of playing time thanks to a hamstring injury hurt Wetherholt’s draft stock. Since he’s been back in West Virginia’s lineup he’s been the exact player he was expected to be entering the season. Wetherholt is a career .376/.500/.663 hitter with West Virginia and his underlying batted ball data is remarkably similar to Travis Bazzana’s. Bazzana has done a better job pulling the ball in the air to capitalize on his power, but I’m not sure there’s a significant raw power difference between the two. 

The biggest separator for Wetherholt is the fact that he’s actively playing shortstop. That gives him a chance for the best defensive value of any of the top six college hitters in the class and if there’s a thought that his hit/power combo is as good as Bazzana’s, why couldn’t he fit at the very top of the class?"

The White Sox think Wetherholt is a second baseman. I’d be shocked by that pick. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

Yesavage was just filthy in the first. Burns obviously dominant too but seems like a bit less command today. 

I was at the game. About 15 scouts there. Difference in the 2 was Yesavage had a rough patch around the 4th but never seemed to get rattled and regained command.  Burns was cocky early on,  lost some control,  got hit a bit,  and didn't recover. 

Trey Yesavage 7.1 inn. 1 hit, 1 run, 4 walks, 6 Ks.  

Chase Burns 5 inn 5 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks,  7 Ks. 

Both would be great picks. Trey moved up today.  Maybe top 10ish. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, pmb0928 said:

I was at the game. About 15 scouts there. Difference in the 2 was Yesavage had a rough patch around the 4th but never seemed to get rattled and regained command.  Burns was cocky early on,  lost some control,  got hit a bit,  and didn't recover. 

Trey Yesavage 7.1 inn. 1 hit, 1 run, 4 walks, 6 Ks.  

Chase Burns 5 inn 5 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks,  7 Ks. 

Both would be great picks. Trey moved up today.  Maybe top 10ish. 

I really like Yesavage, although I think if they go SP it will be Smith if he's there. His ceiling is really really high imo. 

49 minutes ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

I really like Yesavage, although I think if they go SP it will be Smith if he's there. His ceiling is really really high imo. 

Don't think Smith is going to be there.  Another thing I like about Yesavage is I think he is less injury prone. His delivery is simple.  He is built thick and strong, has not missed any starts outside of last week when he had a punctured lung from dry needling apparently and he recovered just fine.  

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 7:20 PM, Johno said:

i can’t believe i’m going to say this, but i won’t mind if the Sox draft the first baseman Kurtz.   The kid can absolutely take and he’s a lefty!

Saw him this weekend.  Stay as far away from him as you can.  Gavin Sheets 2.0

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 9:08 AM, DirtySox said:

I actually don't hate Wetherholt. Might be on an island here with that.

He's still my choice, although I get the misgivings.  He's got a smooth swing; a lot of these guys have noisy swings.

I don't like any of these college pitchers early.
Maybe there's a pre guy out there that it makes sense.  Maybe a reach/underslot, although I'm not sure the Sox are sharp enough can pull that entire sequence off.

Edited by GreenSox

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, GreenSox said:

He's still my choice, although I get the misgivings.  He's got a smooth swing; a lot of these guys have noisy swings.

I don't like any of these college pitchers early.
Maybe there's a pre guy out there that it makes sense.  Maybe a reach/underslot, although I'm not sure the Sox are sharp enough can pull that entire sequence off.

I’d say they’ve been pretty good about manipulating their bonus pools. They’ve also shown a willingness to spend over the bonus pools on multiple occasions, to the fullest extend without incurring a penalty 

Edited by Boopa1219

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I’d say they’ve been pretty good about manipulating their bonus pools. They’ve also shown a willingness to spend over the bonus pools on multiple occasions, to the fullest extend without incurring a penalty 

The only time that I remember the Sox doing an underslot in the first round was Burger; and then they used the savings on Sheets who didn't need to be paid overslot.  

I've seen the Sox overslot various rounds and then pay for it by punting several other rounds; the extent to which that approach has netted positive results remains to be seen.

Edited by GreenSox

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

The only time that I remember the Sox doing an underslot in the first round was Burger; and then they used the savings on Sheets who didn't need to be paid overslot.  

I've seen the Sox overslot various rounds and then pay for it by punting several other rounds; the extent to which that approach has netted positive results remains to be seen.

Gonzalez was underslot last year. It helped to pay for Wolkow and Oppor 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Gonzalez was underslot last year. It helped to pay for Wolkow and Oppor 

Thanks.  While Gonzalez wasn't the preferred choice of most, he wasn't a huge reach either. 

Also only significantly punted 1 round.