DirtySox

15 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Current top 5 for the Sox in order of preference

1) Konnor Griffin

2) Bryce Rainer

3) Trey Yesavage

4) JJ Wetherholt

5) Chase Burns

I don’t believe Yesavage is in the mix. It’d be Griffin, Rainer, Wetherholt or pitching for me. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t believe Yesavage is in the mix. It’d be Griffin, Rainer, Wetherholt or pitching for me. 

It feels like it almost has to be one of the two HS kids or Hagen Smith at this point right?  Anything starting to trickle out about guys who we might try to push down with some bonus savings?

34 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I presume that's assuming Bazzana and Condon don't miraculously fall.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think so either but he's my favorite of the three pitchers

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It feels like it almost has to be one of the two HS kids or Hagen Smith at this point right?  Anything starting to trickle out about guys who we might try to push down with some bonus savings?

I’m not sure. I think the big 10 are all in the mix and asking price will play a role. If you made my guess, I’d guess Griffin right now. I don’t have much in later guys yet. 

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I presume that's assuming Bazzana and Condon don't miraculously fall.

Correct. I’m pretty sure they’d take either. 

17 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Oof. Sounds like Braden Montgomery just broke his ankle sliding into home.

Bummer. I still remember when Ventura did it in ST.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, bmags said:

so I uh, decided I don't think I can do a mississippi prep player top 5. 

Failure rate? Competition concerns?

I was going to post asking everyone's preference between Griffin/Rainer. I lean Rainer.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I was going to post asking everyone's preference between Griffin/Rainer. I lean Rainer.

Both, esp with not having a great showing last summer on the circuit. Would prefer to be getting a guy like that 11-25 range.

It's an exciting package it's just there is a reduction of risk I'd hope to get top 5. But all these guys have their warts. 

but that Mississippi prep stuff hasn't quite found its outlier. Crazy to me given the weather and success of colleges nearby.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bmags said:

so I uh, decided I don't think I can do a mississippi prep player top 5. 

I understand the concerns 

18 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

It’s tough for me. Griffin is much younger with the ability to play CF and SS. Rainer is 19 but hits LH and is a no doubt shortstop. I’d need to know how much each guy costs but I’m fine with either. Only thing that will bother me on draft day would be Cags, Montgomery or Kurtz at this point. Take a pitcher or an up the middle guy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Both, esp with not having a great showing last summer on the circuit. Would prefer to be getting a guy like that 11-25 range.

It's an exciting package it's just there is a reduction of risk I'd hope to get top 5. But all these guys have their warts. 

but that Mississippi prep stuff hasn't quite found its outlier. Crazy to me given the weather and success of colleges nearby.

He was like 17 years old last summer but fair. Hes so young still. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I understand the concerns 

It’s tough for me. Griffin is much younger with the ability to play CF and SS. Rainer is 19 but hits LH and is a no doubt shortstop. I’d need to know how much each guy costs but I’m fine with either. Only thing that will bother me on draft day would be Cags, Montgomery or Kurtz at this point. Take a pitcher or an up the middle guy. 

Interesting. The broken ankle give you pause on Montgomery? Or more the corner OF profile with some bat concerns?

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Interesting. The broken ankle give you pause on Montgomery? Or more the corner OF profile with some bat concerns?

I just don’t feel the need to take any corner other than Condon at #5 

• Fire 1

On 5/29/2024 at 10:39 AM, DirtySox said:

Am I the only one who has pause with Cags? The fact that he won't be pitching, is a 1B, and teams are concerned about the chase rate worries me. I would feel a lot better about dude if he had a different defensive outlook.

Two weeks late, but I'm totally with you. I don't want anything to do with Cags. Could very well be Joey Gallo without the plus outfield defense, and the Sox simply aren't one of the orgs that can make him better.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 2

Speaking of Cags, Mayo has him again being selected at 5 in his latest mock.

https://x.com/MLBPipeline/status/1801389084990128167

5. White Sox: Jac Caglianone, 1B,/LHP, Florida (No. 3)
Sticking with Cags here, as a first baseman. But I have heard other position players here, from West Virginia’s JJ Wetherholt to Mississippi prep shortstop Konnor Griffin.

i almost wonder if the White Sox try making all their trades before the MLB draft.   Based on the talent they get back from the trades could this influence who they pick in the draft?   

40 minutes ago, Johno said:

i almost wonder if the White Sox try making all their trades before the MLB draft.   Based on the talent they get back from the trades could this influence who they pick in the draft?   

I think their pick has more to do with who is willing to give up cap space to get more overages later vs who we trade for