2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Like I said, in recent years if it had been just Vaughn, you could chalk it up to White Sox being White Sox and hope recent changes would make a difference, but when a guy like Torkelson, who had every bit the offensive hype that Cags has had, ends up being another Andrew Vaughn, it should raise some red flags, especially combined with fears of the baseball being juiced in college this year.

Brendan McKay, Prato, Evan White

its been a bloodbath.

might as well convince yourself this is the short, right handed prep pitcher that is actually gonna be the one.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

That's basically what Jimmy says.

Harold.....you sure you heard Jac?

I really like Charlie Condon (he's 6'6), and my kinda hope is that we have a marcelo mayer type situation where a bunch try to get discounts, and he drops and sox can use the mariners pick to pay him as he drops. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I really like Charlie Condon (he's 6'6), and my kinda hope is that we have a marcelo mayer type situation where a bunch try to get discounts, and he drops and sox can use the mariners pick to pay him as he drops. 

I actually think Condon and Bazzana might be the only guys the Sox would pay full slot for. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There are people who don't like Condon's swing and there are rumors of some shady stuff going on at Georgia.  I think they have Wetherholt over Bazzana.  

Yeah I actually think Wetherholt is a possibility if they go college at 5. 

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is Cags a 1B because he is also a pitcher and doesn't have time for defense, or is it because he couldn't pass as something like a LF or 3B?

I’ve heard both. I’m sure he could stand in left field. Again though, in this class, I just don’t see a reason to take a corner profile at 5

Posted (edited)

Law new mock. Will share the top 5 with blurbs and list out the top 10.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5572706/2024/06/19/mlb-mock-draft-2024-charlie-condon-bryce-rainer/

1. Cleveland Guardians: Charlie Condon, OF, Georgia
I doubt we’ll know Cleveland’s pick until the day of the draft, but other teams think it’ll be Oregon State second baseman Travis Bazzana or Condon, with one rumor that the Guardians were looking at going way under slot with high school position player Konnor Griffin. If West Virginia infielder JJ Wetherholt’s medicals check out, though, I would imagine they’d explore a deal with him, thinking he was good enough to be a 1-1 candidate coming into the spring. Cleveland picks again at 36 and 48, so they can get creative with some high school pitching if they want to.

2. Cincinnati Reds: Travis Bazzana, 2B, Oregon State
I’d be surprised if this was anyone but Condon or Bazzana, or maybe Wake Forest right-hander Chase Burns. The Reds don’t pick again until No. 51, which is a good argument for going full slot here and getting the best player available.

3. Colorado Rockies: Jac Caglianone, 1B/LHP, Florida
I assume that if the Rockies do this, they’ll make Caglianone a full-time hitter rather than risk a second Tommy John surgery at some point, given their organization’s recent run of elbow surgeries for top prospects. I’ve also heard them associated with the two main college arms, Burns and Arkansas’ Hagen Smith.

4. Oakland A’s: Nick Kurtz, 1B, Wake Forest
I’ve heard this will be a college hitter – Bazzana, Kurtz, maybe Wetherholt, assuming Condon is gone.

5. Chicago White Sox: JJ Wetherholt, SS, West Virginia
Wetherholt’s spot will come down to what team doctors think about his hamstring injuries. The White Sox have been linked to him, Burns, Caglianone and Griffin.

6.) Royals - Burns

7.) Cardinals - Rainer

8.) Angels - Smith

9.) Pirates - Tibbs

10.) Nationals - Montgomery

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That would be the ideal 1-4 for us.. And then we go with Wetherholt.. grr.

If they take a college guy at 5, I hope it’s Wetherholt. I bet he ends up going 1:1

Kiley McDaniel with a two round mock at ESPN. 

5. Jac Caglianone

43. Joey Oakie Iowa prep RHP

68. Connor Foley, RHP, Indiana 

Oakie played for Sox Area Codes team. Foley was a standout athlete in Indiana. Both make sense but I would hate this strategy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The draft is deep in HS arms.  It wouldn't surprise me if they used both 2nd rounds on them. 

It’s just so risky. They need bats badly and their history with preps arms is bad. Oakie and Bateman seem like two guys they like though. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It’s just so risky. They need bats badly and their history with preps arms is bad. Oakie and Bateman seem like two guys they like though. 

They can't invent guys.  If they have arms evaluted higher they have to take them.  Owen Hall and Blake Larson are a couple others they like.  Levi Sterling too.  

• Like 1