2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

40 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Cags just went deep again. Unless I'm mistaken, his numbers are vastly superior to other 1B taken at the top of the draft recently.

Eh just remember torkelson's final season got covid'd. Nolan Schanuel was in a much worse conference but had a near 1.500 ops and did have a 3 homer game vs florida.

He may very well be the exception but we are talking college stats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Cags just went deep again. Unless I'm mistaken, his numbers are vastly superior to other 1B taken at the top of the draft recently.

Seems ChiliIrish must be hearing what Harold is.

I really really want LH savagery, but the 1B thing scares me because if you miss then there's no redeeming value there. 

I wonder if Getz is feeling heat because small ball failed miserably and he's under pressure to get some kind of legit bats that are MLB ready (Kjerstad) or kind of close to it (Cags) cheaply. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I really really want LH savagery, but the 1B thing scares me because if you miss then there's no redeeming value there. 

I wonder if Getz is feeling heat because small ball failed miserably and he's under pressure to get some kind of legit bats that are MLB ready (Kjerstad) or kind of close to it (Cags) cheaply. 

I don't think either of them have said that they are hearing anything on Jac. Just that they are believers in him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Getz isn’t feeling heat about anything. I’d still be shocked if he spent his first pick on a first baseman and I also don’t think Cags cuts a deal. 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Getz isn’t feeling heat about anything. I’d still be shocked if he spent his first pick on a first baseman and I also don’t think Cags cuts a deal. 

If he doesn't, he has no leverage at all next year and has a lot more to lose than to gain by waiting (assuming he's a 3 year player).  On the other hand, that might be okay for the Sox - stronger draft next year.

They need to draft athletic players.  College pitching is spotty, even in the SEC.   The executive twitterer is basically right-  while corner infield drafting didn't put the Sox in the whole by itself, it contributed.

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Sounds like the college baseball stats are crazy skewed this year too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Eh just remember torkelson's final season got covid'd. Nolan Schanuel was in a much worse conference but had a near 1.500 ops and did have a 3 homer game vs florida.

He may very well be the exception but we are talking college stats.

Cags has hit HRs at a higher rate than Tork in his Covid season. About 60+ pts higher batting average, and less than half the strikeout rate. And he's a lefty. I don't think it's fair for people to lump them together.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Cags has hit HRs at a higher rate than Tork in his Covid season. About 60+ pts higher batting average, and less than half the strikeout rate. And he's a lefty. I don't think it's fair for people to lump them together.

If they keep Cags at 1B (I wouldn't do that) I have him in the Matt Olson, Freddie Freeman, Pete Alonso group.  He has a very good chance to be a very special player.  

11 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

His covid season was 17 games. It's fair to lump them together because he has been garbage. And vaughn has been garbage. Not just "well not sure it was great value at top 5" but like garbage. And Schanuel, under .700 OPS. They are all just bad to out of the league.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they keep Cags at 1B (I wouldn't do that) I have him in the Matt Olson, Freddie Freeman, Pete Alonso group.  He has a very good chance to be a very special player.  

Damn, we should definitely take a first baseman in the second round. 

• Like 1

Here’s where I could buy caglianone breaking the trend:

He’s just extremely large and there late probably going to be these guys that just grow into a corner, and since a few of these guys have been good enough pitchers, they put him at first to ease the work load and prevent injury. 

I can see it happening but I don’t trust it.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

His covid season was 17 games. It's fair to lump them together because he has been garbage. And vaughn has been garbage. Not just "well not sure it was great value at top 5" but like garbage. And Schanuel, under .700 OPS. They are all just bad to out of the league.

Cags has been GARBAGE??? What are you even talking about?

I'm saying it's not fair to lump Cags into the group with Tork (and Vaughn if you want), simply because they are 1B. That's lazy. Cags has been significantly better than those guys were, and is left handed, oh, and also spends half of his time training to be a pitcher which it sounds like he won't have to focus on as a pro. We also don't really know if he's for sure limited to 1B yet, he just did it to allow him to pitch as well. That's like saying Ohtan is only a DH, instead of the fact that he DHs so he can pitch as well. 

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

7 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm saying it's not fair to lump Cags into the group with Tork and Vaughn, simply because they are 1B. That's lazy. Cags has been significantly better than those guys were, and is left handed, oh, and also spends half of his time training to be a pitcher which it sounds like he won't have to focus on as a pro. We also don't really know if he's for sure limited to 1B yet, he just did it to allow him to pitch as well. That's like saying Ohtan is only a DH, instead of the fact that he DHs so he can pitch as well. 

He's talking about Vaughn and Tork.

54 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sheets was 2nd, right?

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm saying it's not fair to lump Cags into the group with Tork and Vaughn, simply because they are 1B. That's lazy. Cags has been significantly better than those guys were, and is left handed, oh, and also spends half of his time training to be a pitcher which it sounds like he won't have to focus on as a pro. We also don't really know if he's for sure limited to 1B yet, he just did it to allow him to pitch as well. That's like saying Ohtan is only a DH, instead of the fact that he DHs so he can pitch as well. 

Is there any legit chance Cags could be a two way player? I don’t know much about him but the prospect of a guy who can play on both sides of the field is always interesting to me.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's talking about Vaughn and Tork.

I didn't even mention Vaughn in my original comment. All I mentioned was Tork and Cags and said it's not fair to lump them together. Then he said yes it is, because he has been garbage. How does that make any sense?

35 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Is there any legit chance Cags could be a two way player? I don’t know much about him but the prospect of a guy who can play on both sides of the field is always interesting to me.

Maybe not as a starter, but I would hope whoever drafts him gives a shot to both hit and come in out of the bullpen. Regardless I hope he gets a shot to do both. But even if he doesn't, you'd think that make might have even more dangerous of a hitter since he won't be commiting time working on being a pitcher and could focus solely on training to hit.

19 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's a big athletic lefty who will touch 100 in short stints and has an above avg slider.  Yes, there is a legit chance he could be a two way guy. 

Even if he can do it, I wonder if it’s worth it for him to split his focus. Curious to hear your opinion on that. 
I’d probably let him play around with it in the minors and see how he handles it, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t sceptical. 

26 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's a big athletic lefty who will touch 100 in short stints and has an above avg slider.  Yes, there is a legit chance he could be a two way guy. 

Well that alone separates him fro Vaughn and Tork… also being left handed is a factor.

Sounds like we’ll be getting a good player regardless since this draft is top heavy. I’ll just forever be irked about the “competitive balance” bullshit. We should absolutely be drafting 1.1 in 2025.

20 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Even if he can do it, I wonder if it’s worth it for him to split his focus. Curious to hear your opinion on that. 
I’d probably let him play around with it in the minors and see how he handles it, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t sceptical. 

He's done it his whole life at a very high level so he obviously has a routine he's comfortable with but it will need to be refined a bit in pro ball.  I just don't understand why someone would say he can't do something.  He's so insanely talented why anyone would want to take that away from him is bonkers to me.  Let him show us he can't do it.  If it doesn't work out, fine but at least he proved he couldn't do it.  But if he can do both.  That's a special baseball player right there.  

• Like 1