2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

Consider this: The White Sox went from Frank to Paulie to Jose. They tried to continue it with Vaughn and it's been not great.

It's cause Vaughn is a small guy. Jac is a big boy.

Frank and Jose won MVPs and made the playoffs. Obviously, Paulie was crucial to 2005.

This is how I would like Mike Shirley to approach the draft: 

Posted (edited)

Callis mock.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-june-27?t=mlb-draft-coverage

5. White Sox: Konnor Griffin, SS/OF, Jackson Prep (Flowood, Miss.) (No. 9)
The White Sox are looking hitters here, and the decision looks like it will come down to Griffin vs. Wetherholt. Though Griffin has the highest ceiling in the Draft, this might be his only realistic landing spot in the top eight because of questions about his swing, so he could come with a discount.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, peanut33tillman said:

If it comes down to Griffin vs Wetherholt I will be pumped at either outcome. These are my top 2 preferences. Griffin has legit 5 tool potential and Wetherholt may have the best bat in the entire class. 

I like both of them, too.  I think Cleveland takes Wetherholt.

And stop giving away picks.  Nuance the draft, like the Guardians.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

And while I get the Sox looking at bats, I think we are going to all look back at the 2024 draft and Hagen Smith, the same way we look back on the 2014 draft and Carlos Rodon, wondering how he wasn't the top pick.  The dude is just a beast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think they have Montgomery over Griffin.

Interesting. That's a name we haven't heard with them. I wonder if the broken ankle drives an even further discount.

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And while I get the Sox looking at bats, I think we are going to all look back at the 2024 draft and Hagen Smith, the same way we look back on the 2014 draft and Carlos Rodon, wondering how he wasn't the top pick.  The dude is just a beast.

I agree, I think he's the best prospect in this draft.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I like both of them, too.  I think Cleveland takes Wetherholt.

And stop giving away picks.  Nuance the draft, like the Guardians.

Nuance and the White Sox go together like peanut butter and WD-40.

Not very well. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

For sure

38 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is the first time throughout the process that I’ve heard Montgomery connected to Sox. 

Montgomery gives me Jared Mitchell flashbacks. 

No thanks. 

And I think that Mitchell would have been solid if not for his injury. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

1 minute ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Montgomery gives me Jared Mitchell flashbacks. 

No thanks. 

And I think that Mitchell would have been solid if not for his injury. 

So you say no thanks because he gives you Jared Mitchell vibes then say Mitchell would've been solid if it wasn't for the injury.... which is it? 

24 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

So you say no thanks because he gives you Jared Mitchell vibes then say Mitchell would've been solid if it wasn't for the injury.... which is it? 

The reference is to the broken ankle, I believe.

34 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

The injury that Montgomery had. 

Its just possible that he isn't the same. 

I don't know if Montgomery is a speedster but given he's a corner OF I assume not

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He wasn't the first pick, because his agent, Scott Boras, was such an asshole. Demanding way over slot, even if it cost the team the first-round draft pick the next year.

52 minutes ago, oldsox said:

He wasn't the first pick, because his agent, Scott Boras, was such an asshole. Demanding way over slot, even if it cost the team the first-round draft pick the next year.

This is beg revisionism.

Brady Aiken had massive steam spring and was touted as Kershaw-lite. Then the Astros tried to lower their agreed to deal with him. They ended up being right on medicals, but don't agree in principle to a deal then lop off 40%.

Marlins fell in love Kolek's giant fastball.

Rodon had a down year compared to his sophomore year, so compared to ascending high schoolers, other teams wanted new shinys.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Timmy U said:

The reference is to the broken ankle, I believe.

Mitchell tore the posterior tibialis tendon off the navicular, I think. 

• Like 1