2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You gotta think there will some teams that red flag Wetherholt and how much of a haircut he'll take.

That’s why I think he’s going 1. Cleveland usually ignores it and they might save $2 million 

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think they get Cags.

You think he gets to 5? Not sure he gets past both Colorado/Oakland. In this case would guess top 5 goes something like 

1 Cle- Bazzana

2 Cin- Condon

3 Col- Burns

4 Oak- Montgomery/Wetherholt

5 CWS- Caglianone

12 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

sounds like there might be some baggage with cags...

The Tampa Plant High product has evolved into a college baseball rock star, getting flooded with autograph requests on the road during postgame walks to the team bus. It happened again during UF’s last regular-season series at Georgia, and Jac's level of popularity rather amuses Gators coach Kevin O’Sullivan. 

“All the wives and mothers [in the UF program] call him Gaston from Beauty and the Beast,” said O’Sullivan. “Look, everybody respects the limelight he’s under. I have no idea the amount of pressure he’s under day in and day out. 

“There were Georgia fans in droves outside of our bus wanting his autograph. I’m not saying it’s [Tim] Tebow-like, but it’s a different thing what he goes through every day.” 

Florida's Jac Caglianone is closest thing college baseball has to Shohei Ohtani (jacksonville.com)

Seems a bit like a Bryce Harper type with lots of steak and "sizzle" in one package...the type of guy who rubs a lot the wrong way, just like Gaston if you know your Beauty and the Beast, lol.

Actually think the White Sox need some more guys like that with unshakeable confidence in themselves...and anti-Vaughn, so to speak.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, peanut33tillman said:

This time next week we’ll have a new Sox at pick 5. A week out who does everyone think the Sox will take? NOT who you want them to take.

I think it’ll be Konnor Griffin and this would also excite me. 5 tool potential with the kid if he hits.

If Wetherholt is off the board and I think he will be, I think the Sox are going to take Konnor Griffin.

Which would be a great pick as it will save the Sox some serious cash, allowing them to go overslot in the later rounds but it’ll fill some needs too. The Sox haven’t invested a first round pick on an outfielder since Courtney Hawkins, which is why the OF has always been a problem, they haven’t invested many high picks in it. And Griffin is a five tool player and a serious athlete with a chance to stay in CF or even play SS. It’s the right move. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

If Wetherholt is off the board and I think he will be, I think the Sox are going to take Konnor Griffin.

Which would be a great pick as it will save the Sox some serious cash, allowing them to go overslot in the later rounds but it’ll fill some needs too. The Sox haven’t invested a first round pick on an outfielder since Courtney Hawkins, which is why the OF has always been a problem, they haven’t invested many high picks in it. And Griffin is a five tool player and a serious athlete with a chance to stay in CF or even play SS. It’s the right move. 

I hope you're right. But I'm already bracing myself for the Jac pick.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

If they draft Cags I think they're drafting an OF and I think they think that too.  

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If they draft Cags I think they're drafting an OF and I think they think that too.  

So they are drafting a 1B in the top 5 they are going to stick into the OF at full slot value.  Did we actually fire the previous administration?

• Like 2

Nobody I've talked to thinks that Caglianone can actually play the outfield. I was told that Chris Getz valued defense. Also, if you're drafting Cags, you're drafting the bat. Just put him at 1B and hope he mashes. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I released mock draft 3.0 at FutureSox today: https://www.futuresox.net/2024/07/08/futuresox-2024-mlb-mock-draft-3-0/

Interesting you now think they take Jac if he is there at 5..  IF the rockies stay with a pitcher, Which of Condon/Bazzana do you think the A's take, and would we take the other at 5 if they fell there?

I have no idea. I've only really heard Sox connected to Griffin, Cags and Wetherholt. I don't know what they'd do with one of those others on the board. 

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Interesting you now think they take Jac if he is there at 5..  IF the rockies stay with a pitcher, Which of Condon/Bazzana do you think the A's take, and would we take the other at 5 if they fell there?