2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

So how does your everyday 1B being a relief pitcher actually work?  Are you actually going to pull what should be one of your best hitters out of the lineup so you can pitching him an inning or two of relief?  Just seems like something that sounds cooler than the reality of the situation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's done it his whole life at a very high level so he obviously has a routine he's comfortable with but it will need to be refined a bit in pro ball.  I just don't understand why someone would say he can't do something.  He's so insanely talented why anyone would want to take that away from him is bonkers to me.  Let him show us he can't do it.  If it doesn't work out, fine but at least he proved he couldn't do it.  But if he can do both.  That's a special baseball player right there.  

Hard to argue

If you draft Cags, let him be a two way guy and he gets TJ, the bat may not be the same once he returns. At the very least, you lose at least a year of development. If the bat is as special as people say it is, it’s not worth the risk. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So how does your everyday 1B being a relief pitcher actually work?  Are you actually going to pull what should be one of your best hitters out of the lineup so you can pitching him an inning or two of relief?  Just seems like something that sounds cooler than the reality of the situation.

First ever first baseman / closer ? or an opener. I’m all for creativity ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You help him develop 4 pitches so he can start. Or better yet, ditch the pitching entirely. 

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you can't save him for high leverage. You'd have to keep him on a regular schedule and use him as something akin to an opener, probably piggybacking him with a starter. It could look like a permanent Noah Schultz situation. OR He's a DH and therefore can warm up during an inning and be brought in to pitch relief. In that scenario, he never plays the field.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I didn't even mention Vaughn in my original comment. All I mentioned was Tork and Cags and said it's not fair to lump them together. Then he said yes it is, because he has been garbage. How does that make any sense?

God let me hold your hand child. Tork has not been the only top first baseman prospect drafted in the first round the last ten years. Even if their numbers were a little worse in college, it hasn’t translated AT ALL to the majors. So you can’t even say, well is it worth a top 5 pick to just get an average first baseman? Because they have been unplayable or bottom 5 i.e. he’s been garbage. 

You don’t think it’s relevant that he’s a 1b, but being a 1B already in college is a huge limitation. Their hitting has to be there, and they are likely there because they lack the athleticism to play anywhere else. And if they already lack athleticism, are they tapped out from strength and body control to help them succeed at a higher level?

It’s a big concern and it’s not lazy to lump him in with the other players who were placed at 1b in college.

• Fire 2

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

God let me hold your hand child. Tork has not been the only top first baseman prospect drafted in the first round the last ten years. Even if their numbers were a little worse in college, it hasn’t translated AT ALL to the majors. So you can’t even say, well is it worth a top 5 pick to just get an average first baseman? Because they have been unplayable or bottom 5 i.e. he’s been garbage. 

You don’t think it’s relevant that he’s a 1b, but being a 1B already in college is a huge limitation. Their hitting has to be there, and they are likely there because they lack the athleticism to play anywhere else. And if they already lack athleticism, are they tapped out from strength and body control to help them succeed at a higher level?

It’s a big concern and it’s not lazy to lump him in with the other players who were placed at 1b in college.

200w.gif

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Doesn't the "ohtani rule" allow you to put him at P and not lose his hitting spot? Then he can return to 1B?

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Still he’s very large. 

I went and looked it up, I didn't realize how much larger he is than Tork.

To give everyone an idea, he's listed as as 6'5", 235 lb

B-Ref says Frank was 6'5", 240

3 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Doesn't the "ohtani rule" allow you to put him at P and not lose his hitting spot? Then he can return to 1B?

If a position player takes the mound to pitch, they still keep their place in the batting order as pitcher. The sub at 1B would then bat in the DH's spot, and the DH would be forfeited for the rest of the game. 

The Ohtani rule allows the starting pitcher to be both DH and P. If Ohtani is removed for a reliever, he can remain as DH, or if he's pinch-hit for, he can remain as pitcher. 

6 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I think you can't save him for high leverage. You'd have to keep him on a regular schedule and use him as something akin to an opener, probably piggybacking him with a starter. It could look like a permanent Noah Schultz situation. OR He's a DH and therefore can warm up during an inning and be brought in to pitch relief. In that scenario, he never plays the field.

Hypothetically, as an opener, he could start on the mound and DH a la Ohtani.  If he started at 1B and came in as a reliever, someone would have to sub to 1B and it would be difficult to warm him up in the pen. I don't think the second scenario is at all feasible.

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think that would only apply to a DH. He could DH when he pitches and then just play 1B the other games.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The Ohtani rule allows him to remain at DH after he exits the game as a pitcher. A 1B moving to P for an inning would be legal under the regular rules, and he could sub back to 1B and remain in the game, but its a really complicated scenario to make work with the other substitutions. Not to mention warming him up in the pen.

47 minutes ago, Quin said:

I went and looked it up, I didn't realize how much larger he is than Tork.

To give everyone an idea, he's listed as as 6'5", 235 lb

B-Ref says Frank was 6'5", 240

yeah. Ugh I thought we were onto something but man is the list of top 10 1b since 2001 depressing. And even the best ones were often 3b/1b mixes.

Mark Teixeira...I mean that's what it feels like we have to go back to. 

9 hours ago, bmags said:

Child? From an admin? Lol this is why myself and so many others stopped posting here regularly. You can converse without being c***y. Or maybe you can't? Either way, this conversation ended right there for me.

• Fire 2

5. Chicago White Sox: JJ Wetherholt, SS, West Virginia

Wetherholt’s spot will come down to what team doctors think about his hamstring injuries. The White Sox have been linked to him, Burns, Caglianone and Griffin.

An aside: Guardians somehow manage to improve more in talent even with the Sox tanking horrifically.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5572706/2024/06/19/mlb-mock-draft-2024-charlie-condon-bryce-rainer/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=310262

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, bmags said:

yeah. Ugh I thought we were onto something but man is the list of top 10 1b since 2001 depressing. And even the best ones were often 3b/1b mixes.

Mark Teixeira...I mean that's what it feels like we have to go back to. 

Anyone but Kurtz has to be the mantra.

51 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Child? From an admin? Lol this is why myself and so many others stopped posting here regularly. You can converse without being c***y. Or maybe you can't? Either way, this conversation ended right there for me.

Speaking of...where the heck Is Balta?

Edited by caulfield12