2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Montgomery has a broken ankle. It’s really no big deal. 

Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread or elsewhere -- but who is "your guy," that you'd like the Sox to pick, regardless of what you think they WILL do?

21 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread or elsewhere -- but who is "your guy," that you'd like the Sox to pick, regardless of what you think they WILL do?

I'm not a fan of this class. Konnor Griffin is my preference because he has the most upside in the class. I'd be fine with Montgomery or Wetherholt as quick movers though. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's what I'm afraid of.  Really need Colorado to take a pitcher that way they only need 3 teams to be really dumb.  

Collazo was a guest on a pod I was listening to this am was saying how he thinks Rockies may be more prone to go Burns because it’s so hard to get FA SP to come and pitch in that thin Colorado air. 

10 minutes ago, peanut33tillman said:

Collazo was a guest on a pod I was listening to this am was saying how he thinks Rockies may be more prone to go Burns because it’s so hard to get FA SP to come and pitch in that thin Colorado air. 

They took pitchers the last two years (though the Hughes pick looks awful) so you can definitely see them keeping that trend going.  Personally I would take Smith over Burns but either one would be benificial for the Sox.  

The Rockies have started to realize that they should draft the best player available and not the player who projects to be a fit for Coors, which is how they made decisions for the longest time. A pick this high, they do need to draft the top arm because of how hard it is to sign pitchers there in FA

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They took pitchers the last two years (though the Hughes pick looks awful) so you can definitely see them keeping that trend going.  Personally I would take Smith over Burns but either one would be benificial for the Sox.  

How hard does Smith throw- is he a 95+ guy?
I generally disfavor pitchers in the first round, but maybe that's where the value lies in this weird/weak draft.

47 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

How hard does Smith throw- is he a 95+ guy?
I generally disfavor pitchers in the first round, but maybe that's where the value lies in this weird/weak draft.

He throws plenty hard but I don't think the Sox are gonna take a pitcher.  I hope they take Cags but if not they're gonna get a good player at 1-5.  

• Like 1

Yeah it’s definitely a bad draft. The guys at the top are fine but it’s thin on high school position players. Really lacks HS talent and shortstops. The prep pitching class is really good but that’s frightening. 

• Like 1

I think it fits well where they are as an organization.  The vast majority of their top pitchers are in the upper minors so it will be good to get some HS arms to start filling up the lower minors.  I don't know how many but I think they're gonna use at least a few of their top picks (2-7) on pitching and likely HS pitching.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think it fits well where they are as an organization.  The vast majority of their top pitchers are in the upper minors so it will be good to get some HS arms to start filling up the lower minors.  I don't know how many but I think they're gonna use at least a few of their top picks (2-7) on pitching and likely HS pitching.

This likely means that they're going underslot at 5 though. They'll need the extra $$. 

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Not neccessarily.  The 2nd round slots are $2.2M and $1.2M.  They can easily sign a couple really good HS arms with that kind of money.  

They can basically spend $15.3 million on the whole class. Saving a little bit in round 1 would go a long way. Just depends who is on the board I guess.