2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No doubt.  I think Cags is the only guy they go full freight on.  Anyone else they would be looking to cut a deal.  

Makes sense. A lot depends on Cleveland. If Wetherholt doesn’t go 1, he’s on the board at 5. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I live down the street from Ryan Sloan and would love to find a way to push him to #43 on an over-slot deal.  Probably impossible without a massive underslot at #5, but damn would that be fun and exciting.

Yeah he'd take at least $3.5 million I'd assume. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Of the positional guys at #5 we are considering, who do you think might be willing to take ~$1.3M less than slot (if any)?  It’s basically the difference between #5 & #8.  Maybe Griffin?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't know.  He's gonna be one of the most interesting guys to see who takes him and where.  There are quetions about his fastball.  He sits 95-98 but it gets hit.  He should be able to consistently throw it past HS hitters but he doesn't.  It's straight w/zero deception.  On the other hand his secondaries are hellacious.  It's probably the best combo of slider and change I've ever seen.  I'm very interested to see who thinks they can fix his fastball shape without fucking up his secondaries.  

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Of the positional guys at #5 we are considering, who do you think might be willing to take ~$1.3M less than slot (if any)?  It’s basically the difference between #5 & #8.  Maybe Griffin?

Griffin will be the cheapest 

46 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't know.  He's gonna be one of the most interesting guys to see who takes him and where.  There are quetions about his fastball.  He sits 95-98 but it gets hit.  He should be able to consistently throw it past HS hitters but he doesn't.  It's straight w/zero deception.  On the other hand his secondaries are hellacious.  It's probably the best combo of slider and change I've ever seen.  I'm very interested to see who thinks they can fix his fastball shape without fucking up his secondaries.  

Seems like Cleveland at 36 makes sense 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I live down the street from Ryan Sloan and would love to find a way to push him to #43 on an over-slot deal.  Probably impossible without a massive underslot at #5, but damn would that be fun and exciting.

A good friend of mine coaches the team that beat Sloan in the semifinals. Final score was 1-0, and it was only the second earned run Sloan had given up all year. Insane. His ERA skyrocketed up to 0.30.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I thought you lived in TN or was that a joke?

43 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I thought you lived in TN or was that a joke?

I moved to Nashville for three years post the Machado signing and moved back to the Chicago area about two years ago right before the “Sox to Nashville” rumors.

Jonathan Mayo mlb.com

Who do you think the Guardians will take No. 1 overall?

"Not who Cleveland should take, or who they would take if they had the top pick… simply just what do they think is going to happen at the top? And 20 people responded. Here’s the vote:

Travis Bazzana, 2B, Oregon State: 15
JJ Wetherholt, 2B/SS, West Virginia: 4
Charlie Condon, OF/3B, Georgia: 1

I can’t see into every scouting director’s heart, so I don’t know for sure how much of the “this is who I would take” thinking seeped in. And most admitted they were just guessing, which was all I was looking for. So don’t be surprised if I stick with Bazzana again in this week’s mock, since a vast majority feel the Guardians will who they perceive is the best player.

There are a couple of other things worth noting in this quick survey. Four out of 20, or 20 percent, of those who responded felt Cleveland would look to make the best deal possible, and that Wetherholt would be that player. The argument we’ve made, on the podcast and elsewhere, is that if you’re convinced Wetherholt’s hamstring issues will be a thing of the past, how much space is there really between him and Bazzana talent-wise?  Not a whole lot. So if you can save a bunch of money with a similar player, maybe you do it.

The flip side of that coin is something I started to ponder this week, and it’s pure conjecture now because I don’t have any inside info on bonus demands or asks. But what happens if the Bazzana camp ascertains that if he doesn’t go 1-1, then Bazzana won’t go until No. 4. Would that change anything in terms of that bonus ask? If so, does the money gap between the two talented infielders shrink enough where it comes back simply to which player the Guardians like more? Hmmm.

Finally, the fact that only one respondent picked Condon syncs up with the lack of buzz I’ve sensed about the Golden Spikes Award winner at the very top. And while there is definitely something very real about Florida’s Jac Caglianone in play at No. 1 and No. 2, no one who answered felt he would be the guy when the Guardians’ selection is announced on July 14."

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I moved to Nashville for three years post the Machado signing and moved back to the Chicago area about two years ago right before the “Sox to Nashville” rumors.

Ah ok. Now you’re in Elmhurst? Me too.

17 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I just realized that Jac can throw 100.  I had figured he was just a run-of-the-mill college reliever.
They've got to draft this guy.

It doesn't sounds like many (if any) teams are entertaining the idea of him pitching.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

I just realized that Jac can throw 100.  I had figured he was just a run-of-the-mill college reliever.
They've got to draft this guy.

He was a starter in college and a pretty good one but he has a couple things to work on to become a big league starting pitcher.  He needs to repeat his delivery better and develop a consistent third pitch (change).  The problem is his bat will be ready way before his arm so if he's going to continue to pitch it will have to be as a reliever which is fine because his plus fastball/slider will get big league hitters out in short stints.    

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

4 years. We’re right next to York. What didn’t you like about Nashville?

Just not my type of people.  Had I lived in the city and not the suburbs I may have felt differently, but we both missed Chicago and ultimately decided we needed to move back before my older kid was too old.

On 7/2/2024 at 5:04 PM, caulfield12 said:

Jonathan Mayo mlb.com

Who do you think the Guardians will take No. 1 overall?

"Not who Cleveland should take, or who they would take if they had the top pick… simply just what do they think is going to happen at the top? And 20 people responded. Here’s the vote:

Travis Bazzana, 2B, Oregon State: 15
JJ Wetherholt, 2B/SS, West Virginia: 4
Charlie Condon, OF/3B, Georgia: 1

I can’t see into every scouting director’s heart, so I don’t know for sure how much of the “this is who I would take” thinking seeped in. And most admitted they were just guessing, which was all I was looking for. So don’t be surprised if I stick with Bazzana again in this week’s mock, since a vast majority feel the Guardians will who they perceive is the best player.

There are a couple of other things worth noting in this quick survey. Four out of 20, or 20 percent, of those who responded felt Cleveland would look to make the best deal possible, and that Wetherholt would be that player. The argument we’ve made, on the podcast and elsewhere, is that if you’re convinced Wetherholt’s hamstring issues will be a thing of the past, how much space is there really between him and Bazzana talent-wise?  Not a whole lot. So if you can save a bunch of money with a similar player, maybe you do it.

The flip side of that coin is something I started to ponder this week, and it’s pure conjecture now because I don’t have any inside info on bonus demands or asks. But what happens if the Bazzana camp ascertains that if he doesn’t go 1-1, then Bazzana won’t go until No. 4. Would that change anything in terms of that bonus ask? If so, does the money gap between the two talented infielders shrink enough where it comes back simply to which player the Guardians like more? Hmmm.

Finally, the fact that only one respondent picked Condon syncs up with the lack of buzz I’ve sensed about the Golden Spikes Award winner at the very top. And while there is definitely something very real about Florida’s Jac Caglianone in play at No. 1 and No. 2, no one who answered felt he would be the guy when the Guardians’ selection is announced on July 14."

Cleveland, as far as I know, has the clearest “type” preferences on both the pitching and hitting side of any team. And they’re both pretty much the opposite of what Caglianone is on either side of the ball.

I feel like it’s Werherholt at a touch under slot. 

32 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Cleveland, as far as I know, has the clearest “type” preferences on both the pitching and hitting side of any team. And they’re both pretty much the opposite of what Caglianone is on either side of the ball.

I feel like it’s Werherholt at a touch under slot. 

Thank god they traded Caminero to the Rays...they might have dominated for five more years.

Now they have to draft another up the middle guy because none of theirs are hitting well enough.

Unless they go with one of those two collegiate pitchers.