2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Just saw a draft mock with us getting Condon.

I think it went

Whitherhold

Bazana

Smith

Cags

Condon

Not entirely outside of the realm of possibility for him to fall to us if Colorado goes for an arm and Oakland prefers the lefty mashed potato man.

• Like 1

I think I can believe Cags as an OF I decided. Whatever, I know avi was bad but his arm made it playable.

When scouts say “he can’t play outfield”…we’ll have those scouts been a white Sox fan their whole lives? We are built different. We have a higher pain tolerance. Just hit us dingers. Carlos Lee fucking ruled.

I think I’d take cags last among the players there but saying he “can’t” play somewhere? I thought this was America.

• Haha 2
  • Hawk 1

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think I can believe Cags as an OF I decided. Whatever, I know avi was bad but his arm made it playable.

When scouts say “he can’t play outfield”…we’ll have those scouts been a white Sox fan their whole lives? We are built different. We have a higher pain tolerance. Just hit us dingers. Carlos Lee fucking ruled.

I remember the roadrunner, Ralph Garr.  Claudell Washington had some adventures.  Canseco, Fisk 

Posted (edited)

Here's the Law writeups on the 3 guys we seem to be talking about the most. Jac, Griffin, Wetherholt. He has Wetherholt 3rd, Jac 8th, and Griffin 10th.

Jac Caglianone
1B, LHP
FLORIDA
DOB:
02-09-2003
Height:
6-5
Weight:

Scouting Report
Bats: L, Throws: L
Caglianone has 80 power and has been up to 99 mph off the mound, so he might be the best-known player in this year’s draft class, but his pro prospects are a little different than the hype might indicate, as his future is in the batter’s box. As a hitter, it’s close to a dead-pull approach, more power than hit, and while the strikeout rate is way down from last year, he doesn’t have very good command of the strike zone, swinging nearly 40 percent of the time pitchers go outside of the zone, often chasing pitches way out of the zone, and he doesn’t cut it down with two strikes.

On the mound, he has arm strength, sitting mostly 93-97, and a decent changeup, but it’s a violent delivery where he comes way back across his body, a problem both for long-term arm health and for a pitcher’s ability to locate anything to his glove side. He’s already had one Tommy John surgery back in high school and had some kind of hiccup in the preseason this year before returning to the mound in Week 2. I think Caglianone is just a hitter and would be surprised if anyone tried to keep him a two-way guy, especially because he needs work on his approach and as a pitcher he’s a reliever at best. You’re betting on 40-homer upside here, and he has hit over 60 homers in his last two years for Florida, facing the best competition in the country.

Konnor Griffin
OF, SS
JACKSON PREP (FLOWOOD, MS)
DOB:
04-24-2006
Height:
6-4
Weight:

Scouting Report
Bats: R, Throws: R
Griffin reclassified from the 2025 class to this one, a prescient decision given how weak this year’s high school crop has turned out to be, with Griffin likely to be the first or second prep position player selected. He’s a toolshed, with four 60s or better on the scouting report — it’s easy plus power, plus speed, a 70 arm (he also pitches), and plus defense in center, with the potential for plus defense at short, although that would require more work than just sending him out as a center fielder.

The question is how much he can hit; he did clean up his swing from the summer of 2023 to this spring and looked good in the first half of the year, but as the season went on he reverted to some old habits and his contact quality dipped. He has quick hands but his swing naturally gets long from his deep hand load, after which he generates power from his excellent hip rotation and strong balance through contact. He also hasn’t shown great command of the strike zone to date, and may need more time in the low minors to develop that aspect of his game, especially given where he’s from. The history of high school hitters signed out of Mississippi is very poor; Austin Riley is now the all-time WAR leader in that category at 19.0 WAR (as of mid-May), with a very high failure rate because the quality of competition in the state is so bad.

Griffin does have superstar upside — it’s 30/30 potential with plus defense somewhere up the middle — for a club that can develop his bat and has the patience to let him move at his own pace.

JJ Wetherholt
2B
WEST VIRGINIA
DOB:
09-10-2002
Height:
5-10
Weight:

Scouting Report
Bats: L, Throws: R
Wetherholt came into the year on the short list of 1-1 candidates, but hurt his hamstring in Week 1 and missed enough time that he’s probably fallen out of that mix and could find himself in the back of the top 10. He can really, really hit though; it might be the best swing for contact in the class, and even when he was all but hitting on one leg he still got the bat to the ball consistently for line-drive contact. He’s very short and direct to the ball, and he doesn’t miss strikes — over the last two seasons, his whiff rate on pitches in the zone is around 6 percent, which looks like a typo. It’s just a simple, efficient swing, with one move back to load and then a rapid uncoiling at the ball that gets maximum impact from his upper and lower body.

What no one can tell you is whether he can stay healthy; this year’s hamstring injury was the second major one he’s suffered inside of 12 months, and it kept him off the field entirely for six weeks. Even in his return, we haven’t seen him run or field the way he could if he weren’t protecting the leg. He’s mostly played third and second for West Virginia but has only played shortstop this year when he’s played the field at all; I don’t know anyone who expects him to stay there in pro ball, but in all fairness to Wetherholt, no one has seen him play shortstop when healthy except for the very first weekend of the 2024 season. He’s also the smallest of the top college bats in the class, listed at 5-10 and perhaps, well, don’t we all exaggerate a little bit, who am I to judge?

You’re buying the hit tool here, and the hope that a full offseason of rest can get him out playing second base every day in 2025, with the upside of a 60 or better hit tool that makes him a very long time regular who makes a handful of All-Star teams.

Edited by DirtySox

10 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Here's the Law writeups on the 3 guys we seem to be talking about the most. Jac, Griffin, Wetherholt. He has Wetherholt 3rd, Jac 8th, and Griffin 10th.

That Cags write up is terrifying to me... Can't lay off college pitching outside of the zone?  EEK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Love your work.  Fine by me if we go pitching is rounds 2-3 if they are HS or big fallers..  If this is what happens, I wouldn't love 4/6 pitchers, but do like the Hurd pick later.

See I think that's bullshit.  You don't know what his coaches were telling him (or maybe some do).  He was intentionally walked 30 times.  His coaches may have told him you're a big strong dude swinging a metal bat hitting a juiced ball. If they throw you anything near the strike zone be aggressive and swing at it.  It's a common thing college coaches tell their power hitters.

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

I think it went

Whitherhold

Bazana

Smith

Cags

Condon

Not entirely outside of the realm of possibility for him to fall to us if Colorado goes for an arm and Oakland prefers the lefty mashed potato man.

Wetherholt

Posted (edited)

The Y2Jimmy 5 Round Mock, per Law and Kiley
Sox are rarely aligned with Law or other public rankings.   But Kiley would probably like the Sox' draft.
But I would think it gives an indication of whether you have to pay guys overslot or not.

1 (5).  Griffin #10, #7
2 (43).  Bateman #51, #62
2b (68)  Oakie #97, #44
3 (78) Messina UR, #56
4 (107) Foley UR, #101
5 (140) Hurd UR, #142

Edited by GreenSox

It seems like the top of this draft is a much bigger mess than I can recall seeing in a typical year.  Are the top players all that close together, or is this because of Cleveland not tipping their hand without a clear #1 this year?

Wetherholt scares the bejeezus out of me. With our history of revolving door hamstring injuries, I can't for the life of me understand why we would want to potentially go through this all over again with a guy coming in with a major red flag. I'll let another organization benefit from his advanced hit tool if they can keep him healthy; I can't go through another "but his potential if he could just stay healthy!" player tenure.

"What no one can tell you is whether he can stay healthy; this year’s hamstring injury was the second major one he’s suffered inside of 12 months, and it kept him off the field entirely for six weeks."

• Thanks 1