2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

2 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Wetherholt scares the bejeezus out of me. With our history of revolving door hamstring injuries, I can't for the life of me understand why we would want to potentially go through this all over again with a guy coming in with a major red flag. I'll let another organization benefit from his advanced hit tool if they can keep him healthy; I can't go through another "but his potential if he could just stay healthy!" player tenure.

"What no one can tell you is whether he can stay healthy; this year’s hamstring injury was the second major one he’s suffered inside of 12 months, and it kept him off the field entirely for six weeks."

He would be a no to me in this organization.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Agreed. Hammy's can just never heal fully and always flare up.

It's a rough injury anyway, but we have shown probably the worst ability in baseball to prevent soft tissue injuries anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do you think the Sox have room for that much early pitching?

Sure. The prep guys have nowhere to play this year so they’ll be hanging out in Arizona. 

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Love your work.  Fine by me if we go pitching is rounds 2-3 if they are HS or big fallers..  If this is what happens, I wouldn't love 4/6 pitchers, but do like the Hurd pick later.

The issue is that you can’t create players who don’t exist. I just don’t love taking college bats in rounds 3-6 or so and HS bats are expensive and it’s a weak class. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm just going to assume that if Bazzana falls, the Sox snap him up. Same with Condon.

I certainly would hope so.. Don't get 'cute'.. Especially with Condon.  I get having more reserve with Bazzana (2B only), but i'd still not pass on him if there

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Wetherholt scares the bejeezus out of me. With our history of revolving door hamstring injuries, I can't for the life of me understand why we would want to potentially go through this all over again with a guy coming in with a major red flag. I'll let another organization benefit from his advanced hit tool if they can keep him healthy; I can't go through another "but his potential if he could just stay healthy!" player tenure.

"What no one can tell you is whether he can stay healthy; this year’s hamstring injury was the second major one he’s suffered inside of 12 months, and it kept him off the field entirely for six weeks."

There isn't going to be a low risk profile in this group.

22 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nobody I've talked to thinks that Caglianone can actually play the outfield. I was told that Chris Getz valued defense. Also, if you're drafting Cags, you're drafting the bat. Just put him at 1B and hope he mashes. 

I personally think for once this is a short sighted view by scouts. The guy is a decent athlete with a cannon who has spent a lot of time honing 2 crafts - pitching and hitting. If he isn't pitching in the minors - than allowing a good athlete to invest the time to become a corner outfielder, in my opinion, is 100% worth it. If it doesn't work in the minors - fine, than adjust - but I think if I were to draft him - I'd do it thinking his bat is absolutely plus plus, but also at least throwing some chips out there that I'll let him learn the outfield (this isn't like a Vaughn who had basically zero plus outfield tools, heck, zero break-even outfield tools).  

The other way you draft him - is you love his bat and in that case, why not see if he can develop as well into a premium relief type prospect (but use him in a select manner - so you know he's only going 2-3 times per week). As I think the Shoehei rule gives some protection to him to stay at DH once he comes out (but I may be wrong).  

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

an entire minute of talking, but saying nothing at all

Most interesting thing that I take from this is his mention of the two pitchers.