2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

In the Sherley interview he said that he “doesn’t see much separation” in the top 10 and “finding someone who could save a million dollars” to use in other rounds over slot is “certainly a consideration” they are weighing “greatly.”

Also touched on not putting into much more stock into college numbers with the juiced balls and metal bats.

Said the two pitchers are easier to project and have things translate without much difficulty.

He really spread a lot out there to push shade on any potential cards being shown. ?

On Cags he mentioned him possibly being a two way guy. “Investigating” was the word he used most. Emphasis was placed on Cags himself having done so his whole life at a high level and him believing in himself being able to do so.

Said if he can save a bullpen arm some rest once or twice a week that there is a lot of value in that.

Edited by hi8is

4 hours ago, hi8is said:

On Cags he mentioned him possibly being a two way guy. “Investigating” was the word he used most. Emphasis was placed on Cags himself having done so his whole life at a high level and him believing in himself being able to do so.

Said if he can save a bullpen arm some rest once or twice a week that there is a lot of value in that.

Start with the Colas reconversion to LHR / pinch hitter / defensive replacement.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Come on. He’s nothing like Nick Madrigal 

Last year when we drafted Gonzalez people immediately started calling him madrigal lol

8 hours ago, hi8is said:

In the Sherley interview he said that he “doesn’t see much separation” in the top 10 and “finding someone who could save a million dollars” to use in other rounds over slot is “certainly a consideration” they are weighing “greatly.”

Also touched on not putting into much more stock into college numbers with the juiced balls and metal bats.

Said the two pitchers are easier to project and have things translate without much difficulty.

He really spread a lot out there to push shade on any potential cards being shown. ?

Exactly.  A whole lot of words to say nothing at all.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Based on his first year as a pro, were they wrong?

Maybe rushing to judgement for a SSS of stats from draft year MiLB numbers when the kid played more than he ever has before was the actual problem?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Based on his first year as a pro, were they wrong?

If you ignore every single aspect about their profiles except "up the middle infielder" and "Harold does not like them," sure.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

If you ignore every single aspect about their profiles except "up the middle infielder" and "Harold does not like them," sure.

I said, based on the way he has played as a pro. Is lack of power an aspect?

25 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I said, based on the way he has played as a pro. Is lack of power an aspect?

He's had some big blasts this year, but I guess if we're going off small sample sizes we can say that Gavin Sheets had a similar profile for a while since he had very limited in game power early in his career.

So who would you pick out of these 3, for the 5th pick

Caglianone

Wetherholt 

Griffin

and who do you think the Sox are gonna pick?  

All 3 have asterisks

Caglianone: 1B only player, but said he wants to continue being 2way

Griffin: High Schooler with a questionable swing tool (Do you think the Sox can fix someone's swing?)

Wetherholt: Blown hammy twice in the last 11 months. 

I really don't know who I would pick tbh, Wetherholt is the closest to the majors assuming healthy 

5 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Caglianone

Wetherholt 

Griffin

All 3 have asterisks

Griffin: High Schooler with a questionable swing tool (Do you think the Sox can fix someone's swing?)

I really don't know who I would pick tbh, Wetherholt is the closest to the majors assuming healthy 

Out of the three

Griffin

Cags

Wether

Not really a fan of drafting a full 1B at slot, but the Wether injuries scare me more.  Honestly if it were up to me, I would be all over Hagen Smith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Wetherholt, Griffin, Cags, in that order.

If there was a consensus that Caglianone could provide some sort of defensive value in a corner OF spot, the calculus changes for me. But if he's 1B only I think I'd even prefer Braden Montgomery to him.

• Like 1

I think I would probably just go Griffin over those 2 guys. If someone falls asleep and Condon falls to 5, you would obviously grab him over anyone else right ?

Edited by joejoesox
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Wetherholt, Griffin, Cags, in that order.

If there was a consensus that Caglianone could provide some sort of defensive value in a corner OF spot, the calculus changes for me. But if he's 1B only I think I'd even prefer Braden Montgomery to him.

This is where I am at.  Wish Hagen Smith was an option... yawn. Skipping on Smith seems very much like drafting for 'need'

Kiley has a bull/bear case for the draft prospects in his rankings from yesterday. He does mention the bull case for Jac including "real defensive value at either RF or 1B." I would feel a lot better about the selection if that was a consensus.

The bull case on Cags is that he'll post something like an average OBP, with 30-50 homers and real defensive value either in right field or at first base

If it doesn't work out, what happened? His chase rate derails his career, sending him into a tools/stats disconnect journeyman career.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This is where I am at.  Wish Hagen Smith was an option... yawn. Skipping on Smith seems very much like drafting for 'need'

Believe me, I really get how much we need position players right now.  But the ones at the top look to all have decent flaws, some of which we can't deal with at all as an organization.  What are we actually good at?  Developing pitching.  Seems like maybe the prudent move to me, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Believe me, I really get how much we need position players right now.  But the ones at the top look to all have decent flaws, some of which we can't deal with at all as an organization.  What are we actually good at?  Developing pitching.  Seems like maybe the prudent move to me, but it is what it is.

100%. 

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

Caglianone

Wetherholt 

Griffin

All 3 have asterisks

Depends on how much each guy costs for me. It’s huge part of this process. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The pitchers are flawed too though and I have confidence in them finding pitching in rounds 2-5 where I don’t with bats. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The pitchers are flawed too though and I have confidence in them finding pitching in rounds 2-5 where I don’t with bats. 

That is definitely fair.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Is the cost a big deal due to the penalties associated with going over your allotment?