2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That sounds so much like a guy the Sox have historically struggled to develop.

There just seems to be some glaring warts with both Jac and Griffin that I don't trust the White Sox to get the most out of. That's probably why I keep coming back to Wetherholt despite the injury issues.

Just got to the White Sox section of the podcast. Nothing earth-shattering.

- We've heard both hitting and pitching profiles linked to them (We sure haven't on this board).

- Griffin is mentioned with the White Sox recently.

- Have a gut feeling they would like Wetherholt to fall to them, but this seems less likely as of late.

- Hard to see Jac falling further then this.

- Assumes Condon/Bazanna don't get here.

- Best guess is college bat.

- Wonders if the success with Colson/Schultz (preps) pushes them towards Griffin.

- Carlos opines that the risk level between Cags and Griffin aren't that different.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

After listening to Joe Doyle on CHGO, he gushed about Cags' ability to expand the zone and avoid striking out (9% K-rate).

Is this expected to explode in the majors? Obviously quality of competition goes up, but he basically cut his strikeouts in half this year while tripling his walks. That indicates that he got a lot choosier?

It just seems very unlikely that someone would be able to chase that much but somehow not strikeout a ton, esp against MLB caliber pitching. 

And then if he dials back tye aggressiveness, how much power are you losing? And if he's at 1B what other value is there?

Theres no one that wants a big time savage more than me, but this is high risk high reward. If he hits 40 bombs a year then I don't care if he hits .220 and is a 1B, but if not...

Wetherholt is the better all around choice IMO. If BAL would stop being a holes and be prepared to actually make a deal, we could get the savage in Kjerstad in a Robert or Crochet trade. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It just seems very unlikely that someone would be able to chase that much but somehow not strikeout a ton, esp against MLB caliber pitching. 

And then if he dials back tye aggressiveness, how much power are you losing? And if he's at 1B what other value is there?

Theres no one that wants a big time savage more than me, but this is high risk high reward. If he hits 40 bombs a year then I don't care if he hits .220 and is a 1B, but if not...

Wetherholt is the better all around choice IMO. If BAL would stop being a holes and be prepared to actually make a deal, we could get the savage in Kjerstad in a Robert or Crochet trade. 

I used to think this. But now? I don't know.

• Haha 2

Also, obvious fluff quotes from a coach, but:

Overall, the lefthanded hitter’s approach at the plate remains largely the same as it ever was.

“My biggest thing’s always been ‘just hit a ball hard somewhere,’ ” he said. “See it up and drive it from light pole to light pole, from left-center to right-center.”

But there have been some adjustments. Florida assistant coach Chuck Jeroloman said because Caglianone couldn’t pitch initially when he arrived in Gainesville, the staff had more time to work with him as a hitter. Over the last three years, he has matured as a hitter and shown consistent growth. This year, the changes have mostly come in his two-strike approach.

“He made a conscious effort to make the adjustments he needs with two strikes,” Jeroloman said. “He’s confident. He’s not worried about getting to two strikes, and that makes a difference early in the count, too.”

Legit question cause I have no idea how/if it's possible to find these stats for college ball: Do we know how to find what a batter's chase rate is on specific counts? Cause that could explain the low K% but high chase rate.

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Just got to the White Sox section of the podcast. Nothing earth-shattering.

- We've heard both hitting and pitching profiles linked to them (We sure haven't on this board).

- Griffin is mentioned with the White Sox recently.

- Have a gut feeling they would like Wetherholt to fall to them, but this seems less likely as of late.

- Hard to see Jac falling further then this.

- Assumes Condon/Bazanna don't get here.

- Best guess is college bat.

- Wonders if the success with Colson/Schultz (preps) pushes them towards Griffin.

- Carlos opines that the risk level between Cags and Griffin aren't that different.

Griffin being mentioned with Sox recently is hilarious. He’s been tied to them for months. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Griffin being mentioned with Sox recently is hilarious. He’s been tied to them for months. 

They didn't really make it sound like a revelation or anything, just that it is the current intel with names they are hearing.

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Fangraphs.

5. Chicago White Sox
Pick: Jac Caglianone, 1B/RF, Florida

They're always a couple steps behind.

Interesting they also list him at RF. I know the arm is there but what about the footspeed?

5. Chicago White Sox
Pick: Jac Caglianone, 1B/RF, Florida
I don’t have much team-specific dope about the White Sox aside from some chatter that they’ve entertained the idea of an under-slot deal with Konnor Griffin. In this scenario, Caglianone is here and presents franchise-altering upside for an org that could really use it. The optics of taking maybe the most famous guy in the draft when it’s also justifiable based on his talent might quell some of the angst around the ugliness of their rebuild.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-mock-draft-1-0/

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Drafting someone based on name sounds like a very Sox thing to do.

Also I'm not sure Jac Caglianone is anywhere near a household name. I don't think that applies in the baseball draft save for generational type talents.

I'd tell Caglianone that the bonus is $7 million at #5 and see if he takes it. That's the difference between 6-7 and I doubt he goes 6. It allows the Sox to save another $760K. Add that to the $730K overage and picks 9 and 10 and they'd have an extra $1.8 million to play with. Could theoretically go to $4 million at #43. That's Ryan Sloan territory. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Griffin and Jac each have special tools.  But they also each requiring fixing.  Griffin's swing needs to be fixed, and Jac swings at too many outside of the strike zone.
When have the Sox ever successfully fixed a swing?
It's certainly plausible that Jac's chasing is a result of being a supreme college hitter and the coach telling him to swing at anything close because it's worth the risk.   On the other hand, the Sox have not exactly been known to "Fix" players that chase.  Arguably, they have embraced free-swinging since Williams took over.  Heck Ozzie embraced hacking and lunging "aggressive hitting" (not that Jac hacks and lunges).
But a new FO so maybe it will be different.

As for underslot in the first round, as weak as this draft is, it seems like a reasonable idea just to play it straight and just use the picks normally

Edited by GreenSox

21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Woof that's a big number.  I'd feel comfortable at $2.5M. 

Not sure I’d go to that either but someone takes him before that probably. Could even be someone at $3 million. Just saying in general. 

10 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Griffin and Jac each have special tools.  But they also each requiring fixing.  Griffin's swing needs to be fixed, and Jac swings at too many outside of the strike zone.
When have the Sox ever successfully fixed a swing?
It's certainly plausible that Jac's chasing is a result of being a supreme college hitter and the coach telling him to swing at anything close because it's worth the risk.   On the other hand, the Sox have not exactly been known to "Fix" players that chase.  Arguably, they have embraced free-swinging since Williams took over.  Heck Ozzie embraced hacking and lunging "aggressive hitting" (not that Jac hacks and lunges).
But a new FO so maybe it will be different.

As for underslot in the first round, as weak as this draft is, it seems like a reasonable idea just to play it straight and just use the picks normally

I think it’s the opposite in a bad draft. You want as many good players as possible. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd tell Caglianone that the bonus is $7 million at #5 and see if he takes it. That's the difference between 6-7 and I doubt he goes 6. It allows the Sox to save another $760K. Add that to the $730K overage and picks 9 and 10 and they'd have an extra $1.8 million to play with. Could theoretically go to $4 million at #43. That's Ryan Sloan territory. 

I like how you’re thinking!

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Would be very interesting know what kinds of discussions the Sox have been able to have with high school kids they could push down the list.  Not to mention with NIL now a thing at the college level, there is less incentive than ever to take the money and run to the pro's.