2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

15 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I would puke if they took Caglianone. 

There is no way in hell they need to take a 1B profile with swing and miss issues 5th overall. 

Just a waste of a pick. 

I was very against Caglianone until this post…now I am all in

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I would puke if they took Caglianone. 

There is no way in hell they need to take a 1B profile with swing and miss issues 5th overall. 

Just a waste of a pick. 

To be fair, I wouldn't say he has swing and miss issues. I think he has like a 9% strikeout percentage. It's the lack of selectivity that folks are wary of. The excessive chase rate in particular. He's clearly made it work this season. People are just worried how that will translate. Couple that with minimal defensive value and you have a risky profile. 

Edited by DirtySox

I don't mind Cags. I think 5-10 years ago getting a bat first, first basemen seemed like a waste as there would always be good 1B. 

However, If he can hit then lets take him because nobody hits now. A good hitting first baseman is no longer the norm on teams anymore. Its not like the White Sox have an abundance of them because if they did we sure s%*# wouldn't be trotting out Sheets and Vaughn for 1000 at bats a year. 

Basically, If you think he will hit the bombs then take him. I would rather have that then a defensive SS that is going to have .680 OPS. 

• Like 1

New Callis mock. Cags again.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-july-11?t=mlb-draft-coverage

5. White Sox: Jac Caglianone, 1B/LHP, Florida (No. 3)
The White Sox faced a decision of Wetherholt versus Mississippi prep shortstop/outfielder Konnor Griffin, but that was before Caglianone lasted a little longer than expected. If he's gone, Chicago may lean to Griffin, who would come at a discount because concerns about his swing trump his huge ceiling (the highest in the Draft) for several clubs and could cause him to slide out of the top 10.

4 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

my current priority list

Griffin

Wetherholt 

Burns 

Smith

Caglianone 

Ozzie jr convinced me that Condon is not worth picking in the top 5 lol

Well Ozzie Jr does understand not being worth picking in the draft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

slide out of the top 10

That’s a really heavy weight to hang on that kid… first of this sentiment I’ve seen. Griff looks like the big boom or bust guy this year.

Posted (edited)

New BA Mock this morning.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-mlb-mock-draft-6-0-new-predictions-for-first-39-picks/

1.) Guardians - Wetherholt

2.) Reds - Condon

3.) Rockies - Burns

4.) Athletics - Bazzana

5.) White Sox — Jac Caglianone, 1B/LHP, Florida
The White Sox get linked to more players than any other team inside the top five (except perhaps Cleveland, interestingly). This could be a bit of a pivot point in the draft. The best available player on the board in this scenario is Caglianone, who has been tied to the White Sox in recent days. Any of the players in front of this pick could make sense for the White Sox if they are available, though Wetherholt seems like the most likely option to get here if he doesn’t go first with Cleveland. I think they’d happily scoop him up, if so. 

It sounds like the White Sox are considering both the top high school hitters in the class, and my guess is that Konnor Griffin would be the preference over Rainer at this spot, though I am not confident in that guess. It’s difficult to rule out Hagen Smith here, as well.

Edited by DirtySox

Posted (edited)

New Kiley mock this morning as well. This one takes an interesting turn as Kiley says the Reds are turning away from Condon and are more into Cags or Burns.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40539871/2024-mlb-mock-draft-30-kiley-mcdaniel-predicts-top-picks

1.) Guardians - Wetherholt

2.) Reds - Cags

3.) Rockies - Condon

4.) Athletics - Bazzana

5.) Chicago White Sox
Konnor Griffin, SS, Jackson Prep (Mississippi) HS

This is the first spot where Griffin is a real threat to be taken, with the ninth pick the next spot. I think the White Sox, like Oakland, also want a shot at one of the four college bats that in this scenario all go in front of their pick. I think this decision would come down to Griffin, Montgomery and Burns. Griffin seems like he'd offer the best bonus price and Burns may be looking at an overslot bonus at the next pick, so Griffin gets the nod here.

Edited by DirtySox

I’m fine taking Cags at 5. It’s just not a strong draft class and he at least has 1 elite tool with his lefty power. 

Also, I’ve seen it floated around, but is there any reason Cags couldn’t play RF? He’s not a bad athlete and clearly has the arm strength for it. 

40 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Some not good thngs out there about Rainers makeup.  Would be surprised if he's still in the mix.  

Agreed here. To me it’s Cags, Griffin or JJ unless Bazzana or Condon fell somehow. I really don’t think the Sox want to give anyone $7.7 million though. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Agreed here. To me it’s Cags, Griffin or JJ unless Bazzana or Condon fell somehow. I really don’t think the Sox want to give anyone $7.7 million though. 

Might not be popular, but I’m taking 1 of the pitchers (Smith or Burns) over Griffin…or any hitter besides the top 4.

I know it doesn’t fit the needs of the franchise, but I just think they are superior prospects. With the state of the franchise I’d still be in the mode of “get all the best talent available and sort it out later.” Don’t force a pick just because it’s a hitter 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Might not be popular, but I’m taking 1 of the pitchers (Smith or Burns) over Griffin…or any hitter besides the top 4.

I know it doesn’t fit the needs of the franchise, but I just think they are superior prospects. With the state of the franchise I’d still be in the mode of “get all the best talent available and sort it out later.” Don’t force a pick just because it’s a hitter 

Honestly. I wouldn't hate it. Big fan of both Smith and Burns. The organization also seems to have shown that pitching development has taken a leap forward. Might as well play to your strength. It's a shame the position player side of the farm is so dreadful.

Looking at the situation..if none of Condon, Bazzana or JJ Wetherholt do not fall to #5 then I ride with the power left handed bat even if projections have him as a swing and miss potential. Otherwise, why not go with Chase Burns or Konnor Griffin hoping somehow by a miracle our minor league coaching does not run his potential... I be happy with any of those scenarios even Hagen Smith...

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

it would be fitting and hilarious if whoever we select at 5 refuses to sign because of how awful our hitting development is in the minors. 

A top 5 pick next year would actually be better than this year from the sounds of it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

it would be fitting and hilarious if whoever we select at 5 refuses to sign because of how awful our hitting development is in the minors. 

That's certainly one way to get a Top 6 pick next year.

• Fire 3