2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

17 hours ago, DirtySox said:

To be fair, I wouldn't say he has swing and miss issues. I think he has like a 9% strikeout percentage. It's the lack of selectivity that folks are wary of. The excessive chase rate in particular. He's clearly made it work this season. People are just worried how that will translate. Couple that with minimal defensive value and you have a risky profile. 

I think of it - he has great bat to ball skills, despite an aggressive approach, which in fairness could be because guys in college don't want to throw anything near the plate so he had to adapt and could still hammer it. Can he dial it in, who knows. Than again - Vladdy was one of the most aggressive hitters ever with a cannon in the outfield.  Could Cags be that?  I don't know - but I like some of his high end tools enough.  Are Sox the org to harness some of those weaknesses, probably not - but 2 of those tools are special (power and arm).  And I go back to - lets see if he can play in the outfield. 

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Some not good thngs out there about Rainers makeup.  Would be surprised if he's still in the mix.  

Heard he turned down a Wrangler. Told the Sox, no jeeps for me, Tesla's only. At least one of the scouts in the room said "No Jeep, No Makeup"

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think of it - he has great bat to ball skills, despite an aggressive approach, which in fairness could be because guys in college don't want to throw anything near the plate so he had to adapt and could still hammer it. Can he dial it in, who knows. Than again - Vladdy was one of the most aggressive hitters ever with a cannon in the outfield.  Could Cags be that?  I don't know - but I like some of his high end tools enough.  Are Sox the org to harness some of those weaknesses, probably not - but 2 of those tools are special (power and arm).  And I go back to - lets see if he can play in the outfield. 

I feel like they would absolutely try him out in RF, probably as a primary position.  If he can play 1B (supposedly an elite defensive 1B) and RF, you're looking at someone who isn't gonna have a negative WAR defensively which would be nice

Interesting that Rosenthal mentioned teams may make deadline trades and include competitive balance picks this year.  Obviously, you would have to do trade in next couple days.  With it being a weak draft, I wouldn't mind picks next year as some of the compensation like we did to have the extra second rounder this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

Interesting that Rosenthal mentioned teams may make deadline trades and include competitive balance picks this year.  Obviously, you would have to do trade in next couple days.  With it being a weak draft, I wouldn't mind picks next year as some of the compensation like we did to have the extra second rounder this year.

Royals, Guardians, Brewers and Dbacks seem like the contenders with picks. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Mostly because there's not a smart or savvy way to actually do that. 

Tongue in cheek as I intended that, you're not wrong. Not to mention the question of whether that would be attempting to circumvent draft rules.

3 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Teams can’t trade 2025 picks until they’re announced. That won’t be until December 

6 hours ago, reiks12 said:

it would be fitting and hilarious if whoever we select at 5 refuses to sign because of how awful our hitting development is in the minors. 

This would never happen. Teams have agreements with players prior to drafting them. 

5 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Heard he turned down a Wrangler. Told the Sox, no jeeps for me, Tesla's only. At least one of the scouts in the room said "No Jeep, No Makeup"

He’s absolutely nuts to turn down any Jeep.  What a loser.  I don’t even want him now.  @Quin and @T R U would agree.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, joejoesox said:

I feel like they would absolutely try him out in RF, probably as a primary position.  If he can play 1B (supposedly an elite defensive 1B) and RF, you're looking at someone who isn't gonna have a negative WAR defensively which would be nice

It's possible . What they do in the draft may effect how they approach trades.

Pitching in the draft has 2 really good arms and the Sox seem to be prioritizing middle infielder and OF and probably looking CF more than corners. Best player available in this draft may come down to best player available you can get a discount on.

If they are getting offers on Robert and Crochet that look promising this early the offers may include high profile catchers or 1st base types such as Basallo or Rushing and pitchers which teams seem more willing to part with. 

The Phillies and Mariners have young prospects that may appeal to them.

I'd be surprised to see Caglione drafted just based the availability of that type of player available in trades. But will those trades happen at the deadline ?

If they plan on drafting Cags they better be damn sure he'll be a good outfielder. I'm not as worried about his out of zone swings because of his contact rate. He's tall with long arms so he can reach outside pitches more easily and has made it work for him. I would have to have a breakdown of what pitches outside the zone he's been swinging at. He's certainly an anomaly with such a low K rate with such a high outside of zone swing rate.

I’m not sure I really care much anymore. I don’t ever want to draft a 1b top ten again, but when the alternative profiles are Mississippi prep talent, soft injury riddled second baseman, or TJS pitcher, it’s not like you are veering into safer territories.

when you look at previous “bad” drafts, there is no safety anywhere, it can be an entire first round of only 1-2 major leaguers.

At least Cags has 2 plus tools. Griffin is high upside. I still hope Condon falls.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m not sure I really care much anymore. I don’t ever want to draft a 1b top ten again, but when the alternative profiles are Mississippi prep talent, soft injury riddled second baseman, or TJS pitcher, it’s not like you are veering into safer territories.

when you look at previous “bad” drafts, there is no safety anywhere, it can be an entire first round of only 1-2 major leaguers.

At least Cags has 2 plus tools. Griffin is high upside. I still hope Condon falls.

This is a good point. It’s an awful draft class. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I kind of liked the accidental idea of not signing this year's pick and getting it back again next year, lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

This is where I'm at. All 3 of the guys have some major red flags. If it's Cags so be it. Toss him in right field and let's hope for some prodigious dongers on the south side.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I kind of liked the accidental idea of not signing this year's pick and getting it back again next year, lol.

The league would probably make another anti tanking anti White Sox move and prohibit it and take away the Sox 1st round draft pick next year for not negotiating in good faith.

8 hours ago, DirtySox said:

This is where I'm at. All 3 of the guys have some major red flags. If it's Cags so be it. Toss him in right field and let's hope for some prodigious dongers on the south side.

He has easy power to all fields and against  LHP & RHP .I've seen him jack low and inside and high and outside. He's got personality. JacHammer or Gaston. He just looks like a star. And hey he can pitch a little bit.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He has easy power to all fields and against  LHP & RHP .I've seen him jack low and inside and high and outside. He's got personality. JacHammer or Gaston. He just looks like a star. And hey he can pitch a little bit.

He reminded me of old school Travis Hafner, as he looks huge in the batters box