2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Callis has Konnor Griffin in his final mock. Says White Sox prefer him to Cags and Wetherholt. 

Mayo has us taking Montgomery with Jac, Griffin, & Smith on the board and suggests Kurtz, Rainer, Griffin, & Smith would be other options here (no Jac).

Upon further review, I have officially convinced myself I want Jac at 1.5 despite the bad history of 1B picks.  From a physical standpoint he’s the dream for 1B (the opposite of Andrew Vaughn) and the chase rate is much less concerning when he’s got such a high outside the zone contact rate.  I will always believe that winning at the Rate requires a lineup filled with power hitters and this would be a great first step in addressing that need on a timeline that fits with most of our young pitchers and more advanced positional prospects.

If not him, then I think you roll the dice on an underslot deal with Griffin.  He was the guy I liked most heading into this week, but I do worry about this org being the one to fix major swing issues.  That being said, we can’t expect Getz to sign any true stars in free agency with Jerry still in charge so we must go after ceiling at the top of the draft every year.  And no one appears to have a louder sets of tools than Griffin.  Eventually pairing him with Wolkow would be pretty fucking wild and fun to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Outside of the Schultz pick, Callis usually nails the White Sox plans. 

How much do you think price would be factoring into that preference?  If you believe what Callis is saying, does that hold true if both commanded full slot?

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How much do you think price would be factoring into that preference?  If you believe what Callis is saying, does that hold true if both commanded full slot?

I doubt it. I don’t think Sox want to give anyone in this class full slot though. 

If you could get Griffin to agree to #8 slot money, you’d save just over $1.2M at #5.  Combining that with the 5% bonus overage of ~$700k would give us $2.0M to work with.  That could allow you to scoop up a pair of high upside prep arms with our second round and comp pick tonight.

To keep things simple, adding $1M of those funds at #43 would give you $3.2M to work with or roughly #28 value overall.  Adding the other $1M to #68 would give you $2.2M to work with or roughly #43 value overall.  Feels like that could get you Ryan Sloan at #43 and Joey Oakie at #68 which alongside Griffin would be a pretty sweet day one and wouldn’t require you to go underslot anywhere else in the draft.

10 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

James, how would you feel about Griffin over Cags, if both were available?

I'd prefer Griffin. I always would rather take the chance on the superstar potential, up the middle talent. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd prefer Griffin. I always would rather take the chance on the superstar potential, up the middle talent. 

Agreed. I’m no scout, so I have no clue how serious the flaw might be in his swing that some scouts refer to, but he would be super fun to follow. 

And I’m with you regarding position. Give me up the middle over 1B all day.

Posted (edited)

New BA Mock.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-mlb-mock-draft-7-0-draft-day-projections-dart-throws/

1.) Guardian - Wetherholt

2.) Reds - Condon

3.) Rockies - Burns

4.) A's - Bazzana

5.) White Sox — Jac Caglianone, 1B/LHP, Florida
I wrote on Friday that the White Sox are linked to more players than any other team inside the top five, perhaps with the exception of Cleveland. I still think this could be a pivot point of the draft. There also seems like there could be some more volatility with Caglianone than expected. Ultimately, his gigantic power upside might be too much to pass up. Konnor Griffin and JJ Wetherholt are two other names that would be unsurprising.

Dart throw names for later picks: RHP Ben Hess, LHP Tristan Smith, RHP Khal Stephen, RHP Jaxon Jelkin

Edited by DirtySox

Posted (edited)

New Keith Law mock.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5636030/2024/07/14/final-mlb-mock-draft-2024-travis-bazzana/

1.) Guardian - Bazzana

2.) Reds - Condon

3.) Rockies - Burns

4.) A's - Montgomery

5.) Chicago White Sox: Jac Caglianone, 1B/LHP, Florida
The White Sox appear to be swinging for the fences, as the two names most linked to them remain Caglianone and Konnor Griffin, two high-risk, high-upside bats.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you could get Griffin to agree to #8 slot money, you’d save just over $1.2M at #5.  Combining that with the 5% bonus overage of ~$700k would give us $2.0M to work with.  That could allow you to scoop up a pair of high upside prep arms with our second round and comp pick tonight.

To keep things simple, adding $1M of those funds at #43 would give you $3.2M to work with or roughly #28 value overall.  Adding the other $1M to #68 would give you $2.2M to work with or roughly #43 value overall.  Feels like that could get you Ryan Sloan at #43 and Joey Oakie at #68 which alongside Griffin would be a pretty sweet day one and wouldn’t require you to go underslot anywhere else in the draft.

This is really part of the calculus.  Best available might change if it allows you to get another player or two later.  Sox did this to perfection with Wolkow.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Hmmmm. I'm down for this. Let's go.

This has to mean Wetherholt first, and the Athletics passing on Bazzana. The A's have been linked to Bazzana in like every mock at this point. Wonder what has changed. They in on Cags instead? Montgomery like in Law's mock?

Edited by DirtySox

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Probably a dumb question… is the draft (round 1)  going to be streaming anywhere besides ESPN? I’m too poo for cable hahah

Day 1 Draft coverage begins with a preview show at 6 p.m. ET Sunday on MLB Network, MLB.TV, MLB.com and on the MLB App, with the Draft beginning at 7 p.m. ET. The first round will also be carried by ESPN. Day 2 (Rounds 3-10) and Day 3 (Rounds 11-20) can be seen beginning at 2 p.m. ET each day on MLB.com.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-draft-overview-and-schedule

• Thanks 1