2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

Sox in such an interesting position. There is either risk or low upside fears with just about everyone in this draft. I think Condon is pretty safe. Everyone else is a crapshoot. I prefer high risk/high reward like Griffin, but Bazzana has decent upside with less risk. I wonder what the Sox are thinking.

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Sox in such an interesting position. There is either risk or low upside fears with just about everyone in this draft. I think Condon is pretty safe. Everyone else is a crapshoot. I prefer high risk/high reward like Griffin, but Bazzana has decent upside with less risk. I wonder what the Sox are thinking.

Most of it will depend on the strategy of the teams before them.

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I've got to think Griffin is an undereslot situation, especially if one of the big 4 college hitters is still there. 
IF they can float William Schmidt down to their #2 spot, it could work.  

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I've got to think Griffin is an undereslot situation, especially if one of the big 4 college hitters is still there. 
IF they can float William Schmidt down to their #2 spot, it could work.  

Griffin is 1000% an underslot situation. There's no question.

On 7/12/2024 at 5:38 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This would never happen. Teams have agreements with players prior to drafting them.

When you say agreements are made prior to the selection, you just mean verbal agreements, right? Do teams make verbal agreements with every player that could be in play prior to the draft?

I’m wondering about a situation where Bazzana falls to the Sox. Have they already talked to the Bazzana camp and have an agreement in place in the unlikely event he falls, or do they pick up the phone and quickly try to come to an agreement? What if they can’t agree during the few minutes they have?

16 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

When you say agreements are made prior to the selection, you just mean verbal agreements, right? Do teams make verbal agreements with every player that could be in play prior to the draft?

I’m wondering about a situation where Bazzana falls to the Sox. Have they already talked to the Bazzana camp and have an agreement in place in the unlikely event he falls, or do they pick up the phone and quickly try to come to an agreement? What if they can’t agree during the few minutes they have?

"f*** it, we ball."

21 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think agents tell all the teams the number that it would take to sign. Bazzana is reputed to have a pretty big number. If Bazzana falls and the Sox are interested, they likely call the agent and ask if he would sign for the Sox slot ($7.8 mil roughly). If he has assurances somewhere else that he's getting $8.5 mil+, chances are the Sox do not draft him.

• Thanks 1

Latest from Kiley McDaniel has Jac Caglianone, Michigan prep infielder Caleb Bonemar and Missouri State outfielder Zach Frazier tonight for Sox. Lots of power. 

Callis has Griffin and says he’s their top guy. Everyone else has Cags. 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Latest from Kiley McDaniel has Jac Caglianone, Michigan prep infielder Caleb Bonemar and Missouri State outfielder Zach Frazier tonight for Sox. Lots of power. 

Callis has Griffin and says he’s their top guy. Everyone else has Cags. 

Basically same as you vs. Harold. 

On 7/10/2024 at 10:37 PM, hi8is said:

I don’t think Smith is off the table in our war room.

On 7/11/2024 at 6:08 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

According to the insiders (whom i trust), we have no interest in a SP at 5.

oops.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

In some ways is Day 2 of the draft more important for this organization that needs to build minor league depth?

Sox have also had a lot of success on Day 3. Mason Adams, Brooks Baldwin, Burke, Gelanie, Nishida, etc.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, wegner said:

In some ways is Day 2 of the draft more important for this organization that needs to build minor league depth?

The nature of the MLB draft is weird that the combination of cost savings and spending overages means you don't pick your favorite players in the right order.  I will be interested to see how many college seniors we pick on Day 2, which sets up Day 3.

• Like 2

This is probably a very stupid question but let's say you are the White Sox, you don't love any of the top players and next year, you have the 10th overall pick at best.

What prevents them from drafting Hagen Smith #5 overall and then saying "We'll offer you $4,000,000 and not a penny more."  If they sign him, they get him for a huge discount.  If they don't, they get pick #6 in a much better draft next year.  Do you need to show bad faith?

5 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

This is probably a very stupid question but let's say you are the White Sox, you don't love any of the top players and next year, you have the 10th overall pick at best.

What prevents them from drafting Hagen Smith #5 overall and then saying "We'll offer you $4,000,000 and not a penny more."  If they sign him, they get him for a huge discount.  If they don't, they get pick #6 in a much better draft next year.  Do you need to show bad faith?

Probably have to offer slot value.

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

There is a minimum amount, I think 80% last I knew, of slot value that has to be offered before a team can recoup a draft pick next year, unless there is an injury that can be proven the team didn't know about which changes things.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Kiley did a recap for each team. White Sox below.

Chicago White Sox
Best value: Caleb Bonemer, SS, No. 43 overall

Where best player drafted ranks on team list: 4th (Hagen Smith)

Sleeper to watch: Blake Larson, LHP (No. 68). Larson is from Iowa, but he transferred to IMG Academy in Florida for his draft year. At that point, he hadn't thrown a ton of innings relative to his peers, and hadn't really shown good stuff and decent command at the same time. This spring, his stuff spiked, flashing above average across the board, and his command also improved to the point it looks like he could start.

One big thought: The White Sox continue to lean into the low-slot lefty trend they started with Chris Sale and Garrett Crochet by taking Hagen Smith and Blake Larson this week. Chicago is stocking up on pitching depth because, as ESPN has reported, big league starters Crochet and Erick Fedde could be dealt at the deadline. Adding these two drafted arms (and the potential return in their deadline deals) to current prospects Noah Schultz, Drew Thorpe, Jonathan Cannon, Jairo Iriarte, Jake Eder, Jordan Leasure, Nick Nastrini, Grant Taylor, among others, might actually be enough bulk of quality young arms to form the core for a competitive club.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40575431/mlb-draft-2024-kiley-mcdaniel-recap-analysis-all-30-teams

Edited by DirtySox