Frank Thomas a Dodger?

RibbieRubarb

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN 1000 is reporting that the LA Dodgers might be interested in Frank Thomas, but would Frank want to play 1st base 162 games?

This is a team that had Fred McGriff as their 1st baseman last year. Frank is just as good defensively as Fred.

Hmmm

The key to that is Dan Evans still being the GM there. I think if Evans gets canned, the interest in Frank ends.

The thought of Frank Thomas playing first base for 150 games is pretty funny.

Any time a good baserunner got on first base, he'd take just enough of a lead to draw a throw and then walk to second as Frank tried to make a throw to second.

Good bunters could write it down -- automatic single by pushing the ball toward first base.

The idea of the Dodgers making an offer smells like spin from Arn Tellem to make Frank think somebody out there really thinks he can play every day.

I think not.

He'll be back at The Cell in 2004.

The thought of Frank Thomas playing first base for 150 games is pretty funny.

Any time a good baserunner got on first base, he'd take just enough of a lead to draw a throw and then walk to second as Frank tried to make a throw to second.

Good bunters could write it down -- automatic single by pushing the ball toward first base.

The idea of the Dodgers making an offer smells like spin from Arn Tellem to make Frank think somebody out there really thinks he can play every day.

I think not.

He'll be back at The Cell in 2004.

He would be able to handle it. Steve Garvey couldn't throw at all, and he did fine. But I agree with you, Frank will be back. He would be very foolish to decline his player option.

handling it is one thing.

Playing it well enough to help a team win is another.

Steve Garvey wanted to be out there and was a grinder.

Frank hasn't acted as if he wanted to play first for several years. He's bigger, slower and nowhere near the fielder Garvey was. (Garvey was a converted third baseman who could pick it. Not so with Frank. No Sox fan can forget the sight of Frank panicking on Carlos Guillen's bunt on the final play of the 2000 ALDS in Seattle. Lou Piniella still gets a good laugh outta that one.)

Hell, I hope the Dodgers give Frankie a five-year deal so the Sox can turn the page and change the dynamics in the clubhouse.

But my hopes aren't up.

I didn't care last year if he stays and I don't care this year either. 

If he stays fine, if he doesn't, fine.

im with you on that one...if he's gone, that frees up some money, then we can get some more pitching, if he stays, then hopefully he'll have another decent year like this one

-tim

ESPN 1000 is reporting that the LA Dodgers might be interested in Frank Thomas, but would Frank want to play 1st base 162 games?

This is a team that had Fred McGriff as their 1st baseman last year. Frank is just as good defensively as Fred.

Hmmm

Right on, I had a feeling that L.A. would be interested in him with having McGriff at 1st.

I am a huge Frank Thomas fan, but I think Frank would be better off in L.A.

CWSOX45

I don't think Frank is going anywhere, and we'll find out tomorrow if that's true or not. Can you imagine Frank Thomas playing first base 150 games next year? Yeesh.

But if the Dodgers are that stupid, then go for it.

Frank was a mediocre fielder when he was younger and in better shape. He's even worse now. He didn't look godawful when he played first this past year, but stick him at 1st for a whole season and you're asking for trouble.

• 7 months later...