​?​​?​ THE ELVIS ANDRUS THREAD OF OPS INFAMY ​?​​?​

Greg Hibbard

Just now, soxfaninfl said:

Elvis has played every day for a lot of reasons but chiefly because of this roster. Who was going to play SS when TA was hurt? But I also think Grifol, a rookie manager, likes and prefers the veteran presence of Elvis on the field.

Literally anyone, we can use hindsight to say that Lenyn Sosa at SS the entire time Tim was out would have changed nothing with how the season has gone.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Literally anyone, we can use hindsight to say that Lenyn Sosa at SS the entire time Tim was out would have changed nothing with how the season has gone.

I agree but that plays into my second thought regarding Elvis’ veteran presence.

I wish I had different thoughts but I am coming to the conclusion Pedro is in over his head and needs help.

14 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Our hitting coach had to coach Tim before his costly at bat to not pull the ball and go to the right side , and to wait for the right pitch if possible.  Everybody in that disastrous inning that cost us the game showed no patience and swung at the first pitch.

You're 100 percent correct because it all stems from the following flaws:

1. Sox players are not only extremely impatient and stupid with plate discipline and strategic situational baseball, they are also blatantly selfish and unwilling to attempt the right batting approach at that moment to help the team win. 

2. This poor clutch hitting is also magnified when you have a manager and coaching staff that are completely inadequate in their leadership and teaching skills, to get players to "buy in" to the correct AB approach. 

3. Furthermore this poor situational hitting is a direct result from our dysfunctional FO that are clearly horrible at scouting, evaluating and selecting the right players for their organization...that will in return, play smart team baseball because they are willing to utilize their smart baseball IQ in order to help the team win. 

4. The worst crime which explains #3 above...This FO doesn't have a solid and winning organizational blueprint in how to build a consistent winning team! The Dodgers, Braves, Yankees and Rays just to name a few, absolutely have this detailed outline of a what a winning formula and blueprint looks like. These clubs not only have it in place...but they actually implement and enforce it.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

30 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

I agree but that plays into my second thought regarding Elvis’ veteran presence.

I wish I had different thoughts but I am coming to the conclusion Pedro is in over his head and needs help.

The best thing to happen for this franchise is a terrible year followed by a house cleaning. Hire a new head baseball man, let him decide the manager and get the stench of failure scrubbed from this franchise.

• Hawk 1

25 minutes ago, T R U said:

The best thing to happen for this franchise is a terrible year followed by a house cleaning. Hire a new head baseball man, let him decide the manager and get the stench of failure scrubbed from this franchise.

You're absolutely right. I also have some prime real estate for sale in the everglades. Would you be interested?

17 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Is it? I guess I forgot to feel embarrassed

Good for Elvis and the Sox, but he still has a shot to be this bad. 

Elvis is a warm weather guy. Get ready. 

5 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Elvis’ OPS has skyrocketed to .555! Can he maintain it above the Bradley line? Time will tell, because now he’s certainly playing all 162 after his breakout performance last night! 

I get the cynicism but as we saw last year everyone except maybe Cease and Zavala and very few others can had down or injured years. Luckily speculating on being terrible for individual players usually doesn't happen . Plenty of guys start slow and things progress. Bad 1st halves  turn into good 2nd halves. That's just baseball.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I get the cynicism but as we saw last year everyone except maybe Cease and Zavala and very few others can had down or injured years. Luckily speculating on being terrible for individual players usually doesn't happen . Plenty of guys start slow and things progress. Bad 1st halves  turn into good 2nd halves. That's just baseball.

The funny thing is Hibbard is now careening back and forth wildly with equal strains of negativity and positivity. 

Previously... 90-95% positive.  Also, Flavum. 

8 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Elvis’ OPS has skyrocketed to .555! Can he maintain it above the Bradley line? Time will tell, because now he’s certainly playing all 162 after his breakout performance last night! 

0/4 today drops you back to .536.

It's a problem the White Sox do not have a starting 2B or RF, the same as every season, but these players below are the reason the Sox suck ass more than the typical Hahn team in 2023.

Salaries include buyouts, Player and 2023 bWAR

• $19.5M Lynn -0.2
  • $18.3M Grandal 0.3
  • $17.8M Moncada 0.2
  • $12.5M Anderson 0.1
  • $10.3M Jimenez 0.2
  • $9.0M Kelly 0.0
  • $8.6M Benintendi -0.1 (Contract backloaded - $17.1M due next three years, $15.1M final year)

$96.0M 0.5 net bWAR

Robert (1.4 bWAR) and Lucas (1.2) are the only two solid contributors to start this season.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The funny thing is Hibbard is now careening back and forth wildly with equal strains of negativity and positivity. 

Previously... 90-95% positive.  Also, Flavum. 

I was very positive while active on this board from 2005-2011, then took about a 6 year break from this site and the White Sox. I started back in in late 2017 and early 2018 and bought everything hook line and sinker with the current plan. 

Things have definitely changed this year. I’m definitely using the board somewhat as an outlet for my negative feelings as they occur. It’s my way of coping, frankly.

Andrus is the current posterchild for this “right approach” / “grinderball” veteran this organization has fallen in love with over the past 20 years. A grindy vet who doesn’t cost anything and the org hopes to scrap heap into an above market value acquisition.

Winning the market, unfortunately, usually means you’re a loser in baseball. 

For those confused by my flip flopping let me clarify - I thought Andrus was a great signing but through 100 PAs he could have used a spell on the bench - a spell he has not gotten. For any game. Yes, we have to throw someone out there, but this guy who is clearly overcooked needs a reset .

Do I hope he turns it around? Sure. Do I hope the Sox win with him? Of course. I don’t see it this season. My read is we should all be out, it was too big of a hole to dig. I would LOVE it if I’m wrong about this. 

However, if I’m right, I hope this is a historically bad season that shines a light on how absolutely awful this approach is - and has been - organizationally, one that has existed for the better part of 23 years of watching this team flounder around this silly concept. 

TL;DR: I hit a breaking point. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I was very positive while active on this board from 2005-2011, then took about a 6 year break from this site and the White Sox. I started back in in late 2017 and early 2018 and bought everything hook line and sinker with the current plan. 

Things have definitely changed this year. I’m definitely using the board somewhat as an outlet for my negative feelings as they occur. It’s my way of coping, frankly.

Andrus is the current posterchild for this “right approach” / “grinderball” veteran this organization has fallen in love with over the past 20 years. A grindy vet who doesn’t cost anything and the org hopes to scrap heap into an above market value acquisition.

Winning the market, unfortunately, usually means you’re a loser in baseball. 

For those confused by my flip flopping let me clarify - I thought Andrus was a great signing but through 100 PAs he could have used a spell on the bench - a spell he has not gotten. For any game. Yes, we have to throw someone out there, but this guy who is clearly overcooked needs a reset .

Do I hope he turns it around? Sure. Do I hope the Sox win with him? Of course. I don’t see it this season. My read is we should all be out, it was too big of a hole to dig. I would LOVE it if I’m wrong about this. 

However, if I’m right, I hope this is a historically bad season that shines a light on how absolutely awful this approach is - and has been - organizationally, one that has existed for the better part of 23 years of watching this team flounder around this silly concept. 

TL;DR: I hit a breaking point. 

That's where most are now, seemingly...anything below 60 wins and highest 2024 drafting position possible.