Buehrle says no to Sox

Cerbaho-WG

KW was a cheap ass to MB last year but it is odd to me that MB would turn down this deal. He has seen injuries. If he has one, he loses all. That is a lot of money to gamble on being injury free. Although if I were the Sox, I'd add a million or 2 on to offer, since MB is worth the gamble to us that he stays injury free.

Guest Ncorgbl

"We'll just go year-by-year with him now," Williams said. "Obviously, we were motivated to reward him for his success, but he and his agent feel they have a better chance to maximize his earnings [through arbitration]. I have no complaints."

Way to go, Kenny.

While it's true Buehrle will take the risk of injury, I'm certain his agent has him insured.

But for a lousy few thousand dollars to try to teach Mark and his Lawyer a lesson last year, now it's Williams who will learn what 'hardball' is all about. I hope Mark takes all the money he can get here and then runs. Williams is an idiot.

We can't win with Kenny Williams.

I hope Mark takes all the money he can get here and then runs.

I sure as hell don't hope that. I hope MB tales all the money he can and stays with us taking all the money that is due him. I have no desire to see us lose MB just so we can taunt KW. I hope KW will increase the offer, a change of position as he did last July with the Frank Thomas trade to Boston, OR that a new GM will kiss and make up with MB and MB stays forever. I sure as hell do not want MB to take the money and run just so we can b**** at KW.

Guest Ncorgbl
I hope Mark takes all the money he can get here and then runs.

I sure as hell don't hope that. I hope MB tales all the money he can and stays with us taking all the money that is due him. I have no desire to see us lose MB just so we can taunt KW. I hope KW will increase the offer, a change of position as he did last July with the Frank Thomas trade to Boston, OR that a new GM will kiss and make up with MB and MB stays forever. I sure as hell do not want MB to take the money and run just so we can b**** at KW.

Williams did not change his position on Thomas last July, nor has he since. His boss made those decisions. He will try to move Thomas, regardless what Frank does, before the break.

Williams will do all he can to get rid of some of our most favoured players, and I mean this season. While there was solid media print about the Yankees being given permission to talk to Maggs, there was too about Konerko and Lee. Watch and see if Buehrle gets rumored too. I'd bet on it. I see no point in keeping Buehrle back when he's been treated this way.

We can't win with Kenny Williams.

Idn't he under contract to 2006, anyways (I heard that floating around the WSI boards), so why would he accept a deal that cuts his contract a year? I don't think this is a blatant rejection of the Sox, I think Buehrle doesn't want to cut a year off his contract (which makes sense).

I dont want to see Buerhle go. I think he is just showing KW the way the SOX players should be treated. Its good for him to get a lot of money and force these cheap ass mgt to spend money. I always heard him say on interviews that he love to stay with the sox so I am hoping he does.

Let me rephrase that. KW didn't change his mind but his course of action was changed. Maybe there needs to be another Stadium Club party like last July 27th. And then maybe the course of action would be changed and Buehrle gets offered enough more to end this drama of who vs who, and get on to baseball.

I want MB to stay. We are not a farm team for the majors, we are the majors. I have no desire to see MB move on. There are more alternatives than saying it is all over, goodbye MB.

Let me rephrase that.  KW didn't change his mind but his course of action was changed.  Maybe there needs to be another Stadium Club party like last July 27th.  And then maybe the course of action would be changed and Buehrle gets offered enough more to end this drama of who vs who, and get on to baseball. 

I want MB to stay.  We are not a farm team for the majors, we are the majors.    I have no desire to see MB move on.  There are more alternatives than saying it is all over, goodbye MB.

ummmm markie b and c lee and a minor leaguer to mont for colon, and vlad.

only dreaming.

Why am I getting the feeling that this will be Jack McDowell all over again. Black Jack should've never left the Sox, nor Alex Fernandez, or Mark Buerhle. I'm tired of seeing our starting pitching go and succeed elsewhere. Somebody get KW out of there. This is getting on my nerves now. :angry:

Idn't he under contract to 2006, anyways (I heard that floating around the WSI boards), so why would he accept a deal that cuts his contract a year?  I don't think this is a blatant rejection of the Sox, I think Buehrle doesn't want to cut a year off his contract (which makes sense).

That's what KW said during that SCORE radio interview a few weeks ago.

Why am I getting the feeling that this will be Jack McDowell all over again.  Black Jack should've never left the Sox, nor Alex Fernandez, or Mark Buerhle.  I'm tired of seeing our starting pitching go and succeed elsewhere.  Somebody get KW out of there.  This is getting on my nerves now.  :angry:

You can't complain though, both left the Sox never to do a thing.

Ya, Doublem, we have him till after the 2006 season. Also, I don't see why everyone is blaming KW, Buerhle just doesn't want a deal. He's offering a very fair contract, one that would pay more then Sabathia and I think Zito or Mulder, two pitchers that are just as good as Buerhle, if not better.

Why am I getting the feeling that this will be Jack McDowell all over again.  Black Jack should've never left the Sox, nor Alex Fernandez, or Mark Buerhle.  I'm tired of seeing our starting pitching go and succeed elsewhere.  Somebody get KW out of there.  This is getting on my nerves now.  :angry:

Ya, Doublem, we have him till after the 2006 season. Also, I don't see why everyone is blaming KW, Buerhle just doesn't want a deal. He's offering a very fair contract, one that would pay more then Sabathia and I think Zito or Mulder, two pitchers that are just as good as Buerhle, if not better.

it goes back to last yr and the treatment he got from kw or so that is how i interpretted the story. but if its a money issue, jr pulls the string here unless he gets his advice on money matter from kw.

Why am I getting the feeling that this will be Jack McDowell all over again.  Black Jack should've never left the Sox, nor Alex Fernandez, or Mark Buerhle.  I'm tired of seeing our starting pitching go and succeed elsewhere.  Somebody get KW out of there.  This is getting on my nerves now.  :angry:

I wouldn't say that Fernandez didn't go on to do a thing....he only threw 220 innings in 1997 and won 17 games for them....that's enough for me to regret not bringing him back. He won a World Series that year....he's about the only White Sox player to ever win a World Series.

Goddamn I hope Kenny doesn't f*** this one up.....holy s***, that would kill us. I guess it atleast gives us room to sign a few starters or something....maybe trade for Pettitte or sign Suppan and Wilson....something like that.

And I say give him the money....he is the only thing we have that is guarenteed to be the real deal year in and year out....give him a 4-year contract worth $16 mill...that's a win-win situation....he accepts it, both sides are happy....he gets his money and the White Sox come out cheaply. He declines it, we know we have no future with Buehrle, so we can package him and a few others(maybe Liefer, Garland and Sanders) for Colon and Vazquez....hey, I want to dream too....speaking of dreamin....it's frickin late....but I gotta science project I gotta finish.

Anyone got any coffee? I may need some....to feel a little like this... :wacko:

Yes, the same thing happened with McDowell and Fernandez, but how can you possibly blame Williams for that? It's a very well known fact the Reinsdorf does not believe in paying starting pitchers big money over several years. As for Buehrle, he is controlled by the Sox till 2006 because of the Collective Bargaing Agreement. He is not eligible for free agency till he's been with us for, I think, 6 years. The problems occur next season when he is eligible for arbitration. He WILL rake in the big bucks then, and if it looks like the Sox cannot sign him prior to the arbitration process begins, they will deal him. Of course, at that point, they'll have to give him away. You can see a recent example of that in the Millwood deal. Atlanta had no bargaining power. And this situation is the thing I am most afraid of happening.

Guest Ncorgbl

it goes back to last yr and the treatment he got from kw or so that is how i interpretted the story. but if its a money issue, jr pulls the string here unless he gets his advice on money matter from kw.

KW is controlling the purse strings t the moment, and has for the past year. He has been overrulled twice.

The Sox have been a farm system for the majors for years, this isn't new, not limited to JR's tenure. Tommy John, Goose Gossage, Terry Forster, and a slew of other pitchers went on to World Series with other teams.

In todays world whether its on the mean streets of the inner city or the gilded offices of the corporate world every one wants respect and nobody wants to be openly "dissed". Buerhle took note of the backhand slap the Sox gave him in last years negotiations and now he is returning the favor. It is a calculated gamble on his part. If he suffers an injury or has a subpar year he loses out. If he continues to pitch the way he has then someday he gets the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and thumbs his nose at the Sox on his way out of town.

Yes, the same thing happened with McDowell and Fernandez, but how can you possibly blame Williams for that?  It's a very well known fact the Reinsdorf does not believe in paying starting pitchers big money over several years. As for Buehrle, he is controlled by the Sox till 2006 because of the Collective Bargaing Agreement.  He is not eligible for free agency till he's been with us for, I think, 6 years. The problems occur next season when he is eligible for arbitration.  He WILL rake in the big bucks then, and if it looks like the Sox cannot sign him prior to the arbitration process begins, they will deal him.  Of course, at that point, they'll have to give him away.  You can see a recent example of that in the Millwood deal.  Atlanta had no bargaining power. And this situation is the thing I am most afraid of happening.

According to KW, they will play it year by year and I truly think thats what they will do.

Their is no way they deal Buerhle unless they are getting Zito in return.