Manny Ramirez

southsider2k5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be just our luck that the one time the Sox did spend money, they wasted it on him. He is exactly what they don't need, another slow power hitter. Plus, he would probably be pouting and poisoning the clubhouse because his dream is to play with the Yankees in his hometown.

Manny Ramirez=Albert Belle, with a bad work ethic.  I want no part of him at $10mil let alone $20 mil

Amen to that. 20 million could fill a lot of holes.

I think Boston is stuck with him.

It would be just our luck that the one time the Sox did spend money, they wasted it on him. He is exactly what they don't need, another slow power hitter. Plus, he would probably be pouting and poisoning the clubhouse because his dream is to play with the Yankees in his hometown.

Putting him on waivers, may just be a ploy by Boston to see if they can get the Yankees to bite.

The guy has put up better offensive numbers than anyone we have seen in a long time (Thomas MVP years.) Stats Inc. rated him the second most productive player in all of baseball pitchers included. The guy can flat out hit. His head is not on tight but I wouldn't be aginst getting him if the Red Sox paid a good portion (50%) of his salary (Konerko, Koch for Manny & $5M a year of his salary.) If I was the O's I would try and work a deal with Boston. I would take Albert Belle any day of the week, the guy was a gamer. A jag off yes but we all know where nice guys finish. Manny is just a little off. Belle and Manny went to the series with another man of questionable character, Loften. I think there is a little too much stock put into character and attitude. See where Loften ended up the last two years. Winning cures a-lot.

The guy has put up better offensive numbers than anyone we have seen in a long time (Thomas MVP years.)  Stats Inc. rated him the second most productive player in all of baseball pitchers included.  The guy can flat out hit.  His head is not on tight but I wouldn't be aginst getting him if the Red Sox paid a good portion (50%) of his salary (Konerko, Koch for Manny & $5M a year of his salary.)  If I was the O's I would try and work a deal with Boston.  I would take Albert Belle any day of the week, the guy was a gamer.  A jag off yes but we all know where nice guys finish.  Manny is just a little off.  Belle and Manny went to the series with another man of questionable character, Loften.  I think there is a little too much stock put into character and attitude.  See where Loften ended up the last two years.  Winning cures a-lot.

The Lofton example is a bad one because he was traded to both teams that he ended up in the post season with. Where did the teams finish that he started the season with?

But remember...Manny is now on a team owned by John Henry. He's a bottom line stat guy. For those of you that don't know what he does for a living...He manages roughly $7 or $8 billion of client's money and then makes returns for them using system trading which is based on statistical events that can be predicted over time. His crew knows much more about statistics than anyone else even remotely involved in baseball.

And he is an astute businessman. He believes in the bottom lne. Period. He isn't doing this to live out his "life long" fantasy. If he can't make money owning the team, you can bet he'll make huge changes. If that doesn't work, he'll sell.

Maybe phase one is dumping the dead wood? Remember...Manny had lots to say about how much he loves Little. And John Henry specifically felt Little ignored the glaring statistics regarding pitching in the playoffs.

By the way, is this the team you'd want to go to, if you are Colon? Pedro's upset with the fans [says they treat him bad] and Manny may be bye bye?

Forkit!

I am not sure the Sox or many teams have the kind of money the Manny will demand. I don't see him with the Chisox.

'rockin, it has nothing to do with how much Manny will demand, but how much he is under contract for. If he is claimed, his contract goes with him.

You may have meant this, but I wasn't sure.

By the way, is this the team you'd want to go to, if you are Colon? Pedro's upset with the fans [says they treat him bad] and Manny may be bye bye?

Forkit!

I think this is a very astute point. Some people have thought that Colon with Pedro would be a great fit. Trying to dump Manny's salary likely sends a message to Colon's people. Maybe Colon's options ARE limited.

Forkit!

I think this is a very astute point. Some people have thought that Colon with Pedro would be a great fit. Trying to dump Manny's salary likely sends a message to Colon's people. Maybe Colon's options ARE limited.

Boston has already dropped big hints that the team as it is now, cannot afford Colon.

I see Manny playing for one of 5 teams next year - Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, Mets, or Dodgers.  If I had to narrow that list down....it would be the 3 AL teams, Baltimore, Boston, and New York.

Boston, Boston, or Boston. He will not be picked up off of waivers. Only was he is out of town is if he is traded.

Manny Ramirez is one of, if not the best hitter in baseball.  This more than anything shows the declining state of baseball finances.

Yeah, but when you combine one of the games best hitters, with one of the games worst work ethics, this happens. Every team would grow tired of Mannys attitude towards the game after a while.

BoSox love to play head games with Georgie Porgie.

They saw the Yankees' offense grind to a halt in the World Series.

They think George will impulse buy Manny -- as he did with Weaver, Boone, Contreras and others.

If Manny goes to NY, then Boston takes the savings and spends the money reasonably on players that other teams are dumping in a decliining market. (Perhaps from the Astros, Cardinals, Twins, As, Royals and others)

I think it's a shrewd move -- but it won't work unless Georgie Porgie bites.