2023 Memorial Day - White Sox State of the Union

6 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Doesn’t the reverse standings dictate how the draft order goes? I’m not a nerd of all things draft like I am in the NFL.

Only determines the percentage and yes there is a draft lottery now 

6 hours ago, The Beast said:

I wish more posters here would admit that what you said is what they want to see. Some people have gotten to this point, others I have heard from (not necessarily from this board) are reconsidering their fandom (lifelong passionate White Sox fans, not fair weather fans) and others see the malaise but are willing to let things out and see what moves are made.

As the years go on, JR will eventually pass and moves will be made, although my fear is the new owner will move the team out of Chicago to another state and we will get a new front office but the team will be elsewhere.

I agree and I have posted numerous times that if it means the Sox having a huge embarrassing implosion where they lose over 100 games this year creates change then so be it. I am ok with that type of disastrous season.....in order for major change to occur and get Rick Hahn fired.

I have been a lifelong loyal Sox fan and that will never change. Even if they continue to be terrible, which is probably going to happen until Jerry, Kenny and Hahn are gone, I will remain a fan. However being a loyal fan doesn't mean I can't be harsh about the POS owner and GM. We as fans have every right to criticize this inept POS owner and front office.

The best thing that can happen is for this team to continue losing and to embarrass themselves so much, that at the trade deadline there won't be any question as to why the White Sox need to be major sellers. Although it sucks it will be Hahn doing it.

You're right though, in time Jerry will pass on and a new owner will come in. I disagree with you that the new owner will move the team out. The Sox fan have proven if they put a good competitive playoff team on the field, the fans will come out and draw well. The future rich billionaire Sox owner will be realize it makes total sense to stay in the third largest market with an established and long loyal fan base.

The only thing stopping the Sox from being an elite team is a brilliant Pres/GM combo. Jerry has allowed Hahn more than enough money to spend and get good free agents. The problem is Hahn made horrible FA signings and wasted away the money. If the new future owner is smart and goes out and finds some top notch GM from the likes of the Dodgers, Rays or Braves and makes him president...just like the Dodgers did when they recruited Andrew Friedman away from TB, then the Sox can start hopefully getting on the right path to being a consistent top-tier team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

The Chicago Cardinals regret leaving as would the White Sox.  Fans don't miracously become fans because something is there. 

The Cardinals were almost an afterthought in their last years in Chicago, never sold out unless they were playing the Bears plus Papa Bear Halas did everything he could to make life miserable for the Cardinals as he was the unofficial Commissioner of the NFL for many years. 
The Sox aren’t an afterthought in Chicago but are nowhere close to Chicago becoming a Sox town, the last place Cubs drew 40,000 yesterday and 38,000 today, the Sox tonight will probably draw around 20,000. 
BTW Cubs Strohman pitched a great complete game today, shut out the Rays on 1 hit.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If losing 8 out of 10 instead of 6 out of 10 would force change, I would be all for it. You must cheer for wins. It’s all you have. They could set records for losing. The same dopes would be still making decisions.

I was one of the very few on the board who cheered for WINS and fought those who wanted the Sox to lose during the fake rebuild. It's obvious the baseball draft is a crapshoot and i'd have rather taken my chances keeping Sale and building the ol fashioned way. Cause the draft in baseball is a joke with so many Sox flops through the years.

The tank/rebuild thing would have required amazing trades (not meh trades) and amazing draft picks to go with SMART GM/scouts to acquire some real bullpen pieces (besides closers, Sox have done a nice job there) to give the team a fighting chance in the era of starters going 5 1/3 innings max.

Give me WINS forever. Tank jobs are for Sixers fans. Didn't the Bulls try to tank for a while there? They stink as well.

GO SOX!

• Hawk 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I was one of the very few on the board who cheered for WINS and fought those who wanted the Sox to lose during the fake rebuild. It's obvious the baseball draft is a crapshoot and i'd have rather taken my chances keeping Sale and building the ol fashioned way. Cause the draft in baseball is a joke with so many Sox flops through the years.

The tank/rebuild thing would have required amazing trades (not meh trades) and amazing draft picks to go with SMART GM/scouts to acquire some real bullpen pieces (besides closers, Sox have done a nice job there) to give the team a fighting chance in the era of starters going 5 1/3 innings max.

Give me WINS forever. Tank jobs are for Sixers fans. Didn't the Bulls try to tank for a while there? They stink as well.

GO SOX!

You realize keeping Sale with his injuries and attendant Red Sox salaries would have doomed the White Sox for half a decade, right? 

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You realize keeping Sale with his injuries and attendant Red Sox salaries would have doomed the White Sox for half a decade, right? 

Didn't sale have at least 2 stellar seasons before the arm woe? Sox pitching staff since the tank has been atrocious. At least in the past we always had one stud to cheer for: Buehrle, Sale, Hoyt, etc. Sox truly have been an embarassment since "tank" entered the vocabulary around 35th and Shields. Let's face it, we cheer for an abysmal wreck of a frachise that was not this horrible pre-tank. Sox actually had a chance yearly to do something in this appallingly bad division.

Edited by greg775

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The Cardinals were almost an afterthought in their last years in Chicago, never sold out unless they were playing the Bears plus Papa Bear Halas did everything he could to make life miserable for the Cardinals as he was the unofficial Commissioner of the NFL for many years. 
The Sox aren’t an afterthought in Chicago but are nowhere close to Chicago becoming a Sox town, the last place Cubs drew 40,000 yesterday and 38,000 today, the Sox tonight will probably draw around 20,000. 
BTW Cubs Strohman pitched a great complete game today, shut out the Rays on 1 hit.

On Memorial Day weekend, you'd have to expect 23-26000 for Ohtani and Trout.  We shall see. 

6 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Sox had 23 thousand tonight which surprised me. I never understood having a night game on the final day of a holiday weekend. People have to go to work the next day. Should be played in the afternoon.

Maybe the Sox had a memorial Day fireworks show tonight.

18 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Sox had 23 thousand tonight which surprised me. I never understood having a night game on the final day of a holiday weekend. People have to go to work the next day. Should be played in the afternoon.

Maybe the Sox had a memorial Day fireworks show tonight.

It's a holiday weekend, the kick off of Summer crime / homicide season, worker resources thin (police, security, vendors, ushers) with both the Cubs (Day Game) and White Sox (Night Game) home on a holiday. Chicago Police had to work through the weekend without allowed time off.

They both play the next two at the same time (night tomorrow, day Wednesday), but the crowds will be more manageable and people aren't getting double/triple time pay like they did today. 

The Angels are in Houston for a night game Thursday, but the Sox should have tried for Wednesday to be a night game as well. The attendance differential will be greatest on a weekday workday. Even a 6PM start compromise would have been preferrable to an early game and 12K in attendance.