Prospects to Target

These last few games have convinced me the season is cooked. The last thing I want to admit is that we may see this front office attempt to retool/rebuild again but that's where we are as a fanbase. 

That being said has anyone been keeping up with current prospects that may be attainable?  LA and Baltimore have some really nice pieces from the brief perusing I've done but they may be higher than they can afford with ballplayers/deals being sold. Jordan Westburg looks like a real nice infielder with the O's and the Dodgers have a few catchers in the top 100. I tend to believe they'll target close to MLB ready guys. Any thoughts from minds more in tune with this? 

24 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Also interested in this, I have a feeling they're gonna hang onto guys until the end of the year because they don't have the balls to deal with backlash from the fans for trading away their best players. 

But then the backlash will be fresher at the end of the season and fans will be even louder at SoxFest! 

Oh, wait.

Baltimore does have a lot of intriguing guys coming up but my guess is that they'll want to hold on to them until at least next year to let everyone coalesce and mature to see what they have. Their team is looking to be competitive in the coming years and can stand to wait a year before selling younger guys to get the final piece veteran to put them into contention.

I'd look to the Rockies (worse management than ours), Mariners (closer than the Orioles and could look for a vet, maybe move Emerson Hancock?), or Blue Jays as potential partners.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Baltimore does have a lot of intriguing guys coming up but my guess is that they'll want to hold on to them until at least next year to let everyone coalesce and mature to see what they have. Their team is looking to be competitive in the coming years and can stand to wait a year before selling younger guys to get the final piece veteran to put them into contention.

I'd look to the Rockies (worse management than ours), Mariners (closer than the Orioles and could look for a vet, maybe move Emerson Hancock?), or Blue Jays as potential partners.

I had similar thoughts on the Orioles waiting to deal. I just like a lot of their guys. 

I hope  that this FO is assiduously studying the farms of the Orioles, Mariners, and about 10 other teams.
But I think  that the price of, say,  Giolito will something like be Grandal's contract + a mediocre prospect.
I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

Trading TA to the Dodgers for rookie pitcher Bobby Miller would work for me, he is the grandson of my best friend when I grew up in Rogers Park. Bobby is off to a great start winning his first 2 starts beating the Braves last Tuesday and beating the Nats last night, let up 1 run in each start, throws the ball 100MPH.

Yeah, it's not like the Orioles are going to give up Grayson Rodriguez this quickly.  The problem is only Giolito and maybe Anderson get you anywhere close to Tier A prospects... everything else will be B/C level unless they also deal Cease as well. 

No matter what, they need to target catchers, RF and middle infielders...along with basically ANY pitching, but starters in particular. 

Graveman and/or Hendriks will close next year with the other (depending on performance) likely traded. 

Simply no way in hell you can carry that much in veteran salary for the pen with a rebuilding team. 

Shohei Ohtani,  while clearly not a prospect, will get thrown out a lot this offseason as a smoke screen or subterfuge by Hahn IMO.

If I'm Ohtani...the Dodgers have to be my clear #1 choice in FA, though.  Braves would be #2 if he's all about avoiding bad weather and prefers the two coasts.  Cubs seem to be fading from the picture. 

The Orioles would be an amazing/intrguing choice, or Rays...or Rangers.  For the sport of baseball at least.  Mets Phillies Yankees Red Sox all doomed by the bad weather factor as well. 

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

Also interested in this, I have a feeling they're gonna hang onto guys until the end of the year because they don't have the balls to deal with backlash from the fans for trading away their best players. 

I think this is a real possibility. It would be short sighted because then the Sox would get nothing for the free agents but with this dysfunctional organization anything is possible.

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Trading TA to the Dodgers for rookie pitcher Bobby Miller would work for me, he is the grandson of my best friend when I grew up in Rogers Park. Bobby is off to a great start winning his first 2 starts beating the Braves last Tuesday and beating the Nats last night, let up 1 run in each start, throws the ball 100MPH.

That would require, at the very least, Giolito, Graveman AND Anderson...and putting all their eggs in one basket rather than trying to get 2-3 or even 3-5 prospects back at once like the Moncada/Kopech trade. 

Depends on how much the Dodgers are willing to part with for Ohtani versus waiting on FA. 

Someone like Eduardo Rodriguez might be more attractive, but the Tigers are really in a tough position about going for it this year versus putting it off.  Dodgers need a LH with Anderson/Heaney gone and Urias out. 

Edited by caulfield12

Unless the Sox are trading Cease, Robert Jr. or Kopech, they will not receive key prospects. Trades will be for salary relief and marginal prospects.

Giolito, Anderson, Vaughn, Crochet or Burger may net them some decent, or more likely be added to a veteran contract with negative value (Benintendi, Grandal, Jimenez, Moncada, Graveman).

Sox are on target for a $160M 2024 payroll without adding anything decent this offseason. The trade deadline gives them a chance to lower their future commitments for Benintendi, Moncada, Liam and Eloy.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Unless the Sox are trading Cease, Robert Jr. or Kopech, they will not receive key prospects. Trades will be for salary relief and marginal prospects.

Giolito, Anderson, Vaughn, Crochet or Burger may net them some decent, or more likely be added to a veteran contract with negative value (Benintendi, Grandal, Jimenez, Moncada, Graveman).

Sox are on target for a $160M 2024 payroll without adding anything decent this offseason. The trade deadline gives them a chance to lower their future commitments for Benintendi, Moncada, Liam and Eloy.

The Sox would have to send $25-30 million back to get rid of Benintendi. 

No way Hahn won't wait at least another year to admit he's a complete total utter buffoon and the rebuild has died a quiet and ignominious death. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Sox would have to send $25-30 million back to get rid of Benintendi. 

No way Hahn won't wait at least another year to admit he's a complete total utter buffoon and the rebuild has died a quiet and ignominious death. 

If jerry says cuts, Hahn cuts. Dodgers would take Benintendi and DFA him if necessary, if there were enough other players included to also satisfy their needs.

Sox are currently at $150M-$160M next year between guarantees, buy outs and dead money. They can get down to $40-$50M if they work on it the next six months. They are not going to lose much more of the fanbase at this point, many have already reduced or eliminated trips to the ballpark.

Jerry Reinsdorf 2024 Dream Team: $45.3M

Position Players ($23.6M): Robert Jr. $12.5M, Vaughn $1.5M*, $0.8M Each ($9.6M Total) Burger, Gonzalez, Haseley, Perez, Rodriguez, Sheets, Sosa, Zavala + 3 AAA/Rule 5/FAs.

Pitchers ($21.7M): Cease $8.0M*, Kopech $4.0M*, Crochet $1.5M*, Lambert $1.0M*, $0.8M Each ($7.2M Total) Banks, Padilla, Peralta, Santos, Scholtens, Streiver + 3 AAA/Rule 5/FAs.

Note* - Arbitration Estimates

White Sox Baseball, Home of the Cuban Connection 

USA 136 Cuba 57

• Fire 1