Ring Question

sox4lifeinPA

ok, I know I'm gonna get ragged and I'm taking your opinions with a handful of salt, but I'm thinking about getting miss sox4life a ring. Here's the situation: I'm going up to PA in January. The trip will fall right on our 6 month anniversary (actually one year, but that's another story) and her birthday.(and obviously right after christmas). So my thoughts are to get her a "nice but not crazy expensive, committing, but not like we're gonna get married" ring

thoughts?

I know I know, I just kissed her whatever...y'all don't understand.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, I know I'm gonna get ragged and I'm taking your opinions with a handful of salt, but I'm thinking about getting miss sox4life a ring. Here's the situation: I'm going up to PA in January. The trip will fall right on our 6 month anniversary (actually one year, but that's another story) and her birthday.(and obviously right after christmas). So my thoughts are to get her a "nice but not crazy expensive, committing, but not like we're gonna get married" ring

thoughts?

I've never understood the 'committed but not engaged' ring. To me (and it is just my opinion), that would take away something from an engagement ring, should you ever choose to give her one of those. Why not a nice pendant (maybe engraved or something) on a chain? Brian bought me a clauddah (I never could spell that word) on a silver chain two years ago and I have never taken it off.

thoughts?

I've never understood the 'committed but not engaged' ring. To me (and it is just my opinion), that would take away something from an engagement ring, should you ever choose to give her one of those. Why not a nice pendant (maybe engraved or something) on a chain? Brian bought me a clauddah (I never could spell that word) on a silver chain two years ago and I have never taken it off.

I see it as something that we could use as an heir-loom. I'm 90% sure that I'm going to marry this girl. I think something like this would be a sign of our respect for what we have but obviously it's not an engagement ring, which is 2 years off. I don't think it would take away from anything, because she won't wear it after I give her the engagment ring...(which obviously will have a heck of alot more meaning and beauty)

I see it as something that we could use as an heir-loom. I'm 90% sure that I'm going to marry this girl. I think something like this would be a sign of our respect for what we have but obviously it's not an engagement ring, which is 2 years off. I don't think it would take away from anything, because she won't wear it after I give her the engagment ring...(which obviously will have a heck of alot more meaning and beauty)

Whatever makes the two of you happy is what counts. If you think a ring will go over better than a chain do it. Just make sure the two of you are on the same wavelength before you give it to her.

Skip the ring and go for a different piece of nice jewelry. Perhaps a pearl necklace and matching earings. IMHO if you pull a small box from a jewelry store from your pocket it better have a diamond engagement ring.

Although, since you have dated less than 1 year you probably could get away wth it. After a year or so definately never, ever pull a small jewelry box without a serious commitment (engagedtogetmarriedwithadateattached) ring.

Man that was some kiss ;)

Skip the ring and go for a different piece of nice jewelry. Perhaps a pearl necklace and matching earings. IMHO if you pull a small box from a jewelry store from your pocket it better have a diamond engagement ring.

Although, since you have dated less than 1 year you probably could get away wth it. After a year or so definately never, ever pull a small jewelry box without a serious commitment (engagedtogetmarriedwithadateattached) ring.

Man that was some kiss  ;)

for both of us... See what happens when you wait. I knew she was a keeper before, but I'm sold now. hopefully, I can avoid her finding out what a loser I am.

(that's wide open for you guys...batter up)

LOL! That is true though - for Valentine's day this year Brian did that and instead of a ring in the little burgundy box, it was a blue topaz necklace (a beautiful one, but not what I was hoping for). It took him a few miniutes to figure out what I looked disappointed. There has been some insinuations of things to come within the next two months. I hope he has finally decided to take care of business. ;)

I've got to agree with Fan here sox4life. I've never understood the whole "promise ring" theory. If you're that sure you are going to marry her why not propose now (I did after 4 months and we've been married for almost 9 years). If you are not ready for that, why not get her some diamond earrings, or diamond studded pendant. Not really anything extravagant but something simple yet elegant. Also, go to a reputable dealer for a better quality, cut and clarity of stone. It also maybe something you can put on layaway. :cheers

I bought a girl I dated for 2 years a "promise ring" about 5 months into our relationship.

Needless to say, the relationship didnt work out, but she loved it.

I think it's a good idea if you're really sure the both of you feel the same way about one another.

Perhaps earrings or a bracelet would be alright as well.

That's up to you though.

thoughts?

I got a promise ring. I loved it. It was a ring with my birthstone in it. I say go for it. Oh... white gold or platinum is best. ;)

thoughts?

I got a promise ring. I loved it. It was a ring with my birthstone in it. I say go for it. Oh... white gold or platinum is best. ;)

She's right on that, I remember her telling me when I was thinking about getting her one that white gold or platinum was a must. Guess all the doable ones share the same sentiments...

Considering she'll probably eventually cheat on you and break your heart, do as I do and get her a Ring Pop  :lol:

Ugh Killa!!! You've got to stop hanging out with those strippers... they are NOT long term relationship material!! :P

I think promise rings are lame, and they scream insecurity and control issues.

But do whatever you feel :D

read through my posts and notice I never said "promise ring".....

I was going for, "you're the most amazing girl I've ever met, happy birthday, happy anniversary (one year), oh by the way, thanks for staying true to me while I'm 1700 miles away" ring.

but whatever, I'm the insecure one. :rolleyes:

14920110.jpg

15647118.jpg

those are what I like...of course she'll hate them :lol:

Those looks pretty engagementy to me. What do I know though. Your sure she likes ya more than just friends right, cause sometimes signals get crossed up. Just making sure. I am sorry to say, but long term relationships are hard and absolutely suck, six months (or a year whatever it is) is not that long. I wish ya nothing but luck.