Athletic fired Fegan in Jun23, now hired with Sox Machine

ThirdGen

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's very surprising. I wonder who will take his place. I'm assuming they aren't going to do what the Tribune did for a few years and not have any beat writers cover the team. 

From what I've read they very well may not replace him.  They are having massive layoffs and moving somewhat away from the concept of every team having a beat writer.  Which is what made them great.  They supposedly came to the conclusion that football and EPL soccer drives their subscriptions.

2 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

From what I've read they very well may not replace him.  They are having massive layoffs and moving somewhat away from the concept of every team having a beat writer.  Which is what made them great.  They supposedly came to the conclusion that football and EPL soccer drives their subscriptions.

If that's true there's no reason to subscribe to them anymore. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Well the horseshit owners of MLB don’t give a s%*# about the game. MLB used to be a big deal. 20-30% watched the World Series. Now just 3% watch the quest for what their drunk ass clown commissioner deems a piece of metal.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

Tweet in question:

Absolute horseshit. 

The athletic laid 20 people off at the same time, highly doubt it had anything to do with that very non offensive tweet. Most likely has to do with being the beat writer for a perennial bad team that is losing whatever fan base it has by the day. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's very surprising. I wonder who will take his place. I'm assuming they aren't going to do what the Tribune did for a few years and not have any beat writers cover the team. 

13 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If that's true there's no reason to subscribe to them anymore. 

It's mostly baseball and hockey. Absolutely brutal. Their football coverage is awesome though. 

7 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

After Stephen Noh was canned, Fegan was basically what kept me subscribed to the Athletic.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I cancelled my sub, i suggest anyone here subbing for Sox content should do the same

Yes, they are axing other sports as well including the NHL’s biggest team.

Who the hell wants to subscribe to an ESPN version of sports coverage.

Seems like they are keeping some team writers with owners who give a s%*# and field teams people are interested in following.

Sucks that Jerry’s greed and avarice shrunk our fan base to the point we are disposable in the eyes of The Athletic. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I'm not canceling my athletic subscription, because there are other writers I like as much as Fegan whom I'm not trying to get fired as well, but I honestly felt a bit responsible. I would still click into his articles but couldn't even read this last year. 

It's an embarrassment that our team can't generate enough interest for a beat writer, but I have to admit, they haven't created enough interest for a person who invests a ton in the white sox to want to read about them daily.

• Like 2