LA Times assesses White Sox/Dodgers trade possibilities

caulfield12

58 minutes ago, Flash said:

I'd float Gio and TA to Dodgers for Lux and one of the young arms in AAA. Lux and Montgomery would make a nice double play combo for years to come.

I think you're jumping the gun on Montgomery.

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

On the other hand, Anderson clearly comes with more upside, having hit .318/.347/.474 from 2019-22. Although the two-time All-Star missed 18 games early this season with a left knee sprain and has struggled to get going since then, he still boasts a 90th-percentile expected batting average, while making hard contact as often as ever. The main issue has been going from a ground ball hitter to the most extreme ground ball hitter in the sport.

Even a modest adjustment -- perhaps with the Dodgers’ help -- could make Anderson a difference maker in the NL West race and into October. And with an affordable 2024 club option ($14 million), Anderson would also bolster L.A.’s depth next season, providing insurance in case Lux encounters any setbacks returning to full strength. The White Sox still have a shot in the weak AL Central, but if the team ends up selling, the Dodgers and their No. 2-ranked farm system would make for a nice match.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ideal-mlb-trade-deadline-moves-2023

With all due respect, there is no current upside value to Tim Anderson. I want TA traded as badly as anyone here. However you can't sell this small period of time between 2019-22 and forget about 2023! Yes that will definitely help, but all smart teams and the Dodgers are one of them, will look at not only the stats, but also the intangible factors. Here are the 2023 stats:

1. Stat line .251/.289/.295/.584 and -0.7 WAR

2. 65.1% groundball percentage which leads MLB.

3. A complete loss of power and extra base hits! 52 singles, 9 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR

4. Below average defensive stats: (UZR) -1.7 - 16th, (DEF) 0.9 - 16th, (DWAR) 0.3 - 46th

5. Injury Prone - Between 2022 and this season, TA has only played in 129 games of a possible 233 games, which is 55% of the time.

Additionally, the Dodgers have people on their staff bringing the FO executives extensive knowledge about TA's various issues before making a big trade?

Factors such as:

1. Clubhouse video of his teammates' lack of support for making all-star game.

2. Frequent outbursts on the field where he has been injected from several games.

3. Constant whining about the fans and media not being more supportive of his sub-par playing.

4. His alleged multiple adultery affairs and confirmed DNA childbirths, which are heavily speculated to be a lot of Tim's inability to concentrate and have any desire to play well. 

Having said all that, maybe the Dodgers feel they can fix him because they do have good veteran leadership, as well as a veteran and successful manager/front office combo. 

I truly hope we can get a lot for Tim and it has to be now at the 2023 trade deadline. However we all know the problem here...can Rick Hahn negotiate a strong deal and not get fleeced like he typically does. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, nrockway said:

can Stone or Miller be had for Gio? Doubtful, but that would be nice. I bet they like Miller more, but maybe they think they can get make WS run this year with an MLB regular

No shot, Miller is better now than Giolito anyways 

Well if Anderson is hurt again (he's listed as day-to-day) another significant injury could completely scare other teams off.

Maybe he tweeked it with that wild throw into the Seattle dugout Friday night.

We'll see if he's back in the lineup Sunday or not. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well if Anderson is hurt again (he's listed as day-to-day) another significant injury could completely scare other teams off.

Not sure why the Sox would trade TA right now. His value is at an all time low. He has regressed in every facet of his game. 

42 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Anderson is fine. The shoulder/day to day announcement was cover for pulling him after the bonehead play on the steal attempt. He was "counciled" in the dugout and was not happy. Magically an inning later and poof...... shoulder issue. 

34 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Anderson is fine. The shoulder/day to day announcement was cover for pulling him after the bonehead play on the steal attempt. He was "counciled" in the dugout and was not happy. Magically an inning later and poof...... shoulder issue. 

You may have a point. Don't know how he'd react if Grifol pulled him for "baseball-stupidity."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Sounds like the Luis Robert Coverup/Conspiracy earlier in the season...although old school managers would have dinged him again this week for making zero effort on that ball over his head to walk it off. 

Maybe the runner would leave earlier if he played it out... who knows. 

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sounds like the Luis Robert Coverup/Conspiracy earlier in the season...although old school managers would have dinged him again this week for making zero effort on that ball over his head to walk it off. 

Maybe the runner would leave earlier if he played it out... who knows. 

Now you're reaching.  Robert was playing shallow. He wasn't gonna catch that ball.  Everyone knew it. Game over.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, fathom said:

No shot, Miller is better now than Giolito anyways 

Miller was rolling along pretty good last night looking for his 4th straight win but the Giants got him for 7 runs in the 5th on their way to a 15-0 victory over the Dodgers. Maybe his stock went down a tad. 
For personal reasons I would love to see Bobby Miller on the Sox, he’s from McHenry and is the grandson of my  best friend when I was growing up in Rogers Park, he passed away about 20 years ago with all kinds of problems as he had it tough in Vietnam with PTSD which led to alcoholism among other things. My high school sweetheart is Miller’s great aunt and we still are in touch as we fax and she keeps me posted on all the latest with Bobby.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

On 6/16/2023 at 5:12 PM, WBWSF said:

I can't see TA being traded for much of anything. He can't hit, field or run anymore like he use to. If I was  an opposing team needing a shortstop I would not want him. I can't see anybody wanting Moncada either.

You’re right, we can probably trade TA but Moncada is a lost cause unless the Sox pay most of his salary.

On 6/16/2023 at 3:16 PM, caulfield12 said:

On the other hand, Anderson clearly comes with more upside, having hit .318/.347/.474 from 2019-22. Although the two-time All-Star missed 18 games early this season with a left knee sprain and has struggled to get going since then, he still boasts a 90th-percentile expected batting average, while making hard contact as often as ever. The main issue has been going from a ground ball hitter to the most extreme ground ball hitter in the sport.

Even a modest adjustment -- perhaps with the Dodgers’ help -- could make Anderson a difference maker in the NL West race and into October. And with an affordable 2024 club option ($14 million), Anderson would also bolster L.A.’s depth next season, providing insurance in case Lux encounters any setbacks returning to full strength. The White Sox still have a shot in the weak AL Central, but if the team ends up selling, the Dodgers and their No. 2-ranked farm system would make for a nice match.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ideal-mlb-trade-deadline-moves-2023

not the point of this thread, but what the hell does this team's hitting coach actually do?

2 hours ago, baseballgalaly said:

I'm at the point where I'm completely over this team and I want the entire 26 man roster turned over. 

We are actually finding ways to lose instead of finding ways to win.  My eyeball test says we need a top tier catcher before we do anything drastic.  How many times I've said to myself why did we throw that pitch in an 0-2, 1-2 count is catcher issue.  And it's amazing how often that costs us games and momo.

46 minutes ago, Dan Pasqua said:

We are actually finding ways to lose instead of finding ways to win.  My eyeball test says we need a top tier catcher before we do anything drastic.  How many times I've said to myself why did we throw that pitch in an 0-2, 1-2 count is catcher issue.  And it's amazing how often that costs us games and momo.

They’re so going to trade for Salvy