Unwinding The Crochet Puzzle

coldwatersox

It would be interesting to have a person knowledgeable about pitching mechanics to explain to those of us who lack such knowledge what the heck is wrong with Crochet's arm. His velocity has dropped from near consistent triple digits to a pedestrian low 90s fastball. He no longer pitches at the level of MLB standards.  

• Like 2

Just going off of data in terms of typical TJ recovery times and how the Sox do a poor job managing injuries and rehab:

1. He is coming off of April 2022 Tommy John surgery.
  2. The Sox planned a half ass spring training / rehab assignment (6 IP, 5 ER decreased velocity) as they did for Liam (5 IP, 6 ER, decreased velocity). Have done the same with position players Yoan, Tim, Grandal, Robert, Eloy and others the past few seasons.
  3. He should be rehabbing in Charlotte or Arizona now, either stretching out to be a starter or working in relief, but the Sox have zero depth.
  4. Pitchers usually fully recover up to 18 months after Tommy John, so up to 5 months from now.
  5. Tommy John surgery is effective 80% of the time, so perhaps Garrett will be one of the 20% who do not improve / worsen post surgery.
  • Like 6

For Crochet, this the Sox are probably the worst possible org. that could have drafted him. They rushed him at every turn.    I read a quote of his recently that he hoped to start at some point.  Well, nothing that the Sox have done has suggested any interest at all in having him start, including both before and after his injury. 

As for the Sox, they wanted a middle reliever, and by golly, it appears  they got exactly what they wanted.

• Like 1

In the second Dodgers game, Tim Kurkiian was talking about a old Dodger story where they invited Sandy Koufax to Dodger stadium to work with a couple of pitchers. When I heard story, I was quite impressed with that concept. Not that we have the past great pitchers like the Dodgers to bring in, but why can't the Sox FO get Jerry to pay a consulting fee to bring some a stud Hall of Fame pitcher in to work with our valuable pitching prospects like Crochet. 

I imagine other good teams do this and it's not some unheard concept. 

It's really sad we screwed such a great pitching prospect up. 

Oh well, same o same o and life as a masochistic Sox fan!

• Hawk 1

45 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

In the second Dodgers game, Tim Kurkiian was talking about a old Dodger story where they invited Sandy Koufax to Dodger stadium to work with a couple of pitchers. When I heard story, I was quite impressed with that concept. Not that we have the past great pitchers like the Dodgers to bring in, but why can't the Sox FO get Jerry to pay a consulting fee to bring some a stud Hall of Fame pitcher in to work with our valuable pitching prospects like Crochet. 

Sandy also worked with pitchers in the Rangers organization but refused to wear a Texas uniform. 

14 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Sandy also worked with pitchers in the Rangers organization but refused to wear a Texas uniform. 

That would be fine by me. If Koufax or any other former great pitcher wanted to work with our Sox pitchers, I would let him wear any hat he wanted...including a Dodger hat. ?

15 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Hell, if a pitcher could teach heart, it sure would be nice to have more Buehrles in the rotation.

23 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Jerry does this with the Bulls, 90% of the former roster is an ambassador or something. Wilbur Wood isn't dead yet, I bet he can teach Crochet how to throw a knuckleball 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 8:49 PM, baseballgalaly said:

Based on Balta's normal TJS timeline that he did research on, he probably shouldn't be pitching until August. 

I wouldn’t say he shouldn’t be pitching until August, I’d say he needs to be in a position where you can’t count on him as a contributor yet. If your team is rebuilding and he’s healthy enough to give you innings, fine stretch him out in the big leagues. If you think your team is competitive, you can’t be expecting a guy to contribute anything more than the last position on the roster only 14 and a half months from that surgery. If you’re desperate to get back in the race and every inning counts, he should be working Tom guild strength in the minors. If he’s doing garbage time innings, fine. The White Sox have more garbage time innings guys than they have garbage innings. The White Sox thought he could come up and compete immediately and that was just dumb, but not exactly out of character for this front office.

On 6/17/2023 at 6:11 PM, nrockway said:

Jerry does this with the Bulls, 90% of the former roster is an ambassador or something. Wilbur Wood isn't dead yet, I bet he can teach Crochet how to throw a knuckleball 

To Jerry, the White Sox did not exist until the 1983 Uniforms and Eddie Einhorn Hat. 

To jerry, Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer and Dick Allen is not.