surprise, surprise

winninguglyin83

story for tomorrow's New York Times already on their web site

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/31/sports/b...all/31YANK.html

Sez the Yankees are NOT interested in Manny. More interested in Vlad and Sheffield.

Sez they might pursue Molitor as the new hitting coach.

At the bottom, it sez they're going to spend their money on pitching, mentioning Bartolo and LaTroy Hawkins.

Also heard that Robbie Alomar filed for free agency today, but can't find confirmation.

See, I whould think that if the Yanks keep coming up short, there just going to spend more, and more, and more money. With BUD ever say enough is enough? That would be the only good thing that could come from that. Can Bud ever step in and say you can only spend this much?

Not under the current rules.

They'll have to pay a high luxury tax, but there is no salary cap like the NFL or the NBA has.

See, I whould think that if the Yanks keep coming up short, there just going to spend more, and more, and more money. With BUD ever say enough is enough? That would be the only good thing that could come from that. Can Bud ever step in and say you can only spend this much?

Not as long as the players union exists. I don' think they would ever approve a hard salary cap.

Bartolo to the Yankees has been predictable since last winter. They steered him to the Sox and away from Boston with the El Duque trade and by taking Osuna and his ridiculous contract off KW's hands.

They suspected Clemens would retire and that Wells would be done.

Now they're ready to slide in and take Bartolo, no matter how many times he says he really enjoyed playing in Chicago.

I didn't plan on having Colon back after this season from the time we acquired him by trade.

Basically looked at him as a one year rental, which he was.

And I thought the Sox were going to be in dire trouble after this past season pitching wise, but that was before Loaiza shocked the world.

If we can sign a solid #3 starter and Loaiza has a respectable season next year, I'll feel good about next season.

I know a lot of fans are disappointed about losing Colon, but the offer he got was fair. And while he was good down the stretch for the Sox, he's definitely not worth anywhere near $15 mil per season. At best, he's worth $10 mil a season.

I'm probably alone in this line of thinking, but I don't wanna see a salary cap in Baseball. Look at how many veterans get cut in the NFl because of salary cap reasons. There are other, better ways to control spending in the MLB. The salary cap in football IMO has had catastrophic effects on the guys who served their time in the league, and get rewarded by getting released because of the cold, hard numbers.

I didn't plan on having Colon back after this season from the time we acquired him by trade.

Basically looked at him as a one year rental, which he was.

And I thought the Sox were going to be in dire trouble after this past season pitching wise, but that was before Loaiza shocked the world.

If we can sign a solid #3 starter and Loaiza has a respectable season next year, I'll feel good about next season.

I know a lot of fans are disappointed about losing Colon, but the offer he got was fair.  And while he was good down the stretch for the Sox, he's definitely not worth anywhere near $15 mil per season.  At best, he's worth $10 mil a season.

even though alot of us are dissapointed, I have to say, I'm happy about how the sox at least tried to get him, then backed off at the right time. He's definitely not worth as much as he thinks he is. If we can go out and get another decent starter, I'll be happy.

I think some day there will be a salary cap,

IMO

the yankees are going to go on a major winning streak and win about 10 championships in a row, then baseball will start to get less and less and less popular, attendance will drop and no one will watch the games because at the start of the season it will be decided that the yankees are goin to win the world series, then baseball will have to put a salary cap down and it will regain its popularity....if they dont, in about 20 years major league baseball wont exist anymore.

I think some day there will be a salary cap,

IMO

the yankees are going to go on a major winning streak and win about 10 championships in a row, then baseball will start to get less and less and less popular, attendance will drop and no one will watch the games because at the start of the season it will be decided that the yankees are goin to win the world series, then baseball will have to put a salary cap down and it will regain its popularity....if they dont, in about 20 years major league baseball wont exist anymore.

Lol 10 in a row. As long as there are teams like the Marlins that are more hungry, I wouldn't count on it. It is hard enough to win 1 championship(just ask the Sox) let alone 10 in a row. You might want to set the joint down and step back for a few. :bang

One day their will be a soft cap. I believe it will happen the next time around in a few years. With the soft cap you will have a harder luxury tax that will punish teams that want to spend more, while still allowing them and then their will be some sort of minimum.

I'm probably alone in this line of thinking, but I don't wanna see a salary cap in Baseball. Look at how many veterans get cut in the NFl because of salary cap reasons. There are other, better ways to control spending in the MLB. The salary cap in football IMO has had catastrophic effects on the guys who served their time in the league, and get rewarded by getting released because of the cold, hard numbers.

There is one difference with baseball, Capn. Contracts in baseball are guaranteed, where there are not in football. You would not see the same effect in baseball that you do in the NFL in the situation you described.

There is one difference with baseball, Capn.  Contracts in baseball are guaranteed, where there are not in football.  You would not see the same effect in baseball that you do in the NFL in the situation you described.

Guaranteed contracts are partially what screw baseball, but its also why players never hold out.

A salary cap could only happen after a brutally long, crippling strike, and the owners have never had the balls to endure one.

That's because they know tghey will kill the goose that laid the golden egg, if they do. I think the players and owners both saw that in the near strike of 2002.