Hendriks out, Clevinger likely out, until after the All Star Break

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Sooooo is Clevinger taking a turn this time through the rotation like they said on the podcast recently?

Last I heard on Clevinger was he threw 3 or 4 up and downs on Saturday (perhaps Friday?), and would throw 60 pitches his next time out but was undetermined where that would be (presumably either AAA, Chicago or another sim game).  Have to wonder if they try to just do it in Chicago to show other teams he is healthy in hopes someone just takes his off their hands (unlikely).  Thursday and Friday still reflect TBD starters. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Last I heard on Clevinger was he threw 3 or 4 up and downs on Saturday (perhaps Friday?), and would throw 60 pitches his next time out but was undetermined where that would be (presumably either AAA, Chicago or another sim game).  Have to wonder if they try to just do it in Chicago to show other teams he is healthy in hopes someone just takes his off their hands (unlikely).  Thursday and Friday still reflect TBD starters. 

Meh whatever, we will need someone to throw some innings once Giolito and Lynn get moved.

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

Meh whatever, we will need someone to throw some innings once Giolito and Lynn get moved.

Also true.  Hoping Sox can bring back an MLB ready SP prospect for Gio, and hoping a fringy guy for one of the others and just rock a Cease, Kopech, Touki, TRADE 1, TRADE 2 rotation with some Scholtens and Banks mixed in. Really no point in throwing Clevinger anymore. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Clevinger should take Gio's last start before the deadline if he's ready to pitch.

There is no way you can let Giolito pitch again before the deadline. Any competent organization would never let that happen.... ah s%*#.

Just now, T R U said:

There is no way you can let Giolito pitch again before the deadline. Any competent organization would never let that happen.... ah s%*#.

He’s scheduled to pitch what, 3 days before the deadline on Saturday? Unless they aren’t blown away by any offers, I don’t see how he isn’t traded before that start. You think a team would want him to pitch Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He’s scheduled to pitch what, 3 days before the deadline on Saturday? Unless they aren’t blown away by any offers, I don’t see how he isn’t traded before that start. You think a team would want him to pitch Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.

Yeah, there's no way he pitches for the White Sox again.

He just threw 5 shutout innings with 9 K's against the current AL Central Division leaders. You put him up on that and say come with your best offers, its now or never boys. Let the bidding begin.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Maybe they can get a guy like Dane Dunning for Giolito.

I'm sure you meant that as humor and frankly it's quite funny.

The total hilarious irony is Dunning was part of the initial 2016 rebuild when Hahn traded Adam Eaten for Giolito, Lopez and Dunning. 

However then genius Hahn decided to trade Dunning for Lynn. 

Then again only in Jerry's world can a GM like Hahn last 11 years with only two winning seasons, two playoffs and zero playoff wins. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

The total hilarious irony is Dunning was part of the initial 2016 rebuild when Hahn traded Adam Eaten for Giolito, Lopez and Dunning. 

Then again only in Jerry's world can a GM like Hahn last 11 years with only two winning seasons, two playoffs and zero playoff wins. 

Ah one of the buying trades Hahn did during the competitive window. Hasn’t been able to do too many because of the terrible farm, despite not being that far from a rebuild haha just an epic loser.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, T R U said:

He just threw 5 shutout innings with 9 K's against the current AL Central Division leaders. You put him up on that and say come with your best offers, its now or never boys. Let the bidding begin.

Ehh there’s plenty of ways he pitches for the Sox again. I’d certainly prefer to move him before his next start purely to avoid an injury, but if the Sox don’t get the offers they like, they should take it down to deadline day. 

This conversation sort of reminds me of conference tournaments in college hoops. Everyone is like my team needs to X, Y, Z to get into the dance or get this seed when it reality it has no impact. Short of an injury, Gios trade value isn’t changing by his performance next start, last start, or the start before. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Then again only in Jerry's world can a GM like Hahn last 11 years with only two winning seasons, two playoffs and zero playoff wins

"What do you mean zero playoff wins? We won that game in Oakland and we beat Houston at home when Leury Garcia hit that magical home run. But I guess you want to run with your negative narrative."

image.jpeg

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ehh there’s plenty of ways he pitches for the Sox again. I’d certainly prefer to move him before his next start purely to avoid an injury, but if the Sox don’t get the offers they like, they should take it down to deadline day. 

This conversation sort of reminds me of conference tournaments in college hoops. Everyone is like my team needs to X, Y, Z to get into the dance or get this seed when it reality it has no impact. Short of an injury, Gios trade value isn’t changing by his performance next start, last start, or the start before. 

That would be a horrible decision that is on par for this franchise, so I can see it happening. "Short of an injury" - That's kind of the most important part here, and you can completely eliminate it by not starting him in a meaningless game.

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

That would be a horrible decision that is on par for this franchise, so I can see it happening. "Short of an injury" - That's kind of the most important part here, and you can completely eliminate it by not starting him in a meaningless game.

I said its better to trade him before the next start, but you don't take a lesser offer than you think you can get a few days later due a remote chance he gets hurt.  Hopefully they get their ask met in the next few days and its a non issue. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, T R U said:

Gio last outing was great, but that doesn't mean the haul will be great.

Again if this were the Rays, Dodgers, Guardians or some other of the smart GM's, then I would be comfortable we might get a great haul. However we are talking about Rick Hahn. He sucks at trading players because he doesn't know how to evaluate talent and more times than not, he gets fleeced. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I said its better to trade him before the next start, but you don't take a lesser offer than you think you can get a few days later due a remote chance he gets hurt.  Hopefully they get their ask met in the next few days and its a non issue. 

Maybe something is off here but I wasn't saying to just take an offer before his next scheduled start even if it isn't great. I think if nothing happens before his next scheduled start, you skip him until he is dealt.

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

Maybe something is off here but I wasn't saying to just take an offer before his next scheduled start even if it isn't great. I think if nothing happens before his next scheduled start, you skip him until he is dealt.

Got it.  Can't argue with that.  Read your comment more as take the best offer you get between now and his next scheduled start.  Wouldn't be opposed to skipping him.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, T R U said:

I agree.

Although I suspect by Saturday the market should come into form and I would assume we would have some good offers by that time. 

Regardless of when or if Giolito is traded, he shouldn't start again until after the deadline.
The injury risk alone is enough reason.
And while decisions likely won't be made based on the quality of his next start, a bad start will hurt his value more than a good start will help.
And then he simply has more value to the acquirer by not starting, he can  pitch  as soon as he can join the new team; if he starts again for the Sox , they have to wait until next Thursday to pitch for his new team.
Nothing at all to be gained by starting him.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Regardless of when or if Giolito is traded, he shouldn't start again until after the deadline.
The injury risk alone is enough reason.
And while decisions likely won't be made based on the quality of his next start, a bad start will hurt his value more than a good start will help.
And then he simply has more value to the acquirer by not starting, he can  pitch  as soon as he can join the new team; if he starts again for the Sox , they have to wait until next Thursday to pitch for his new team.
Nothing at all to be gained by starting him.

I don't think another bad start would effect his value at this point. Definitely wouldn't help but I doubt it would make much difference. I'd be more concerned about him getting injured for sure.

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

ESPN has the Sox rotation lined up as follows:

Tues 7/25 - Kopech

Wed 7/26 - Lynn

Thrs 7/27 - Cease

Fri 7/28 - Gio

Sat 7/29 - Toussaint

Sun 7/30 - Kopech

Mon 7/31 - OFF

Tues 8/1 - Lynn

Trade deadline is 5:00PM CT on Tuesday Aug 1.

That 8/1 game is at 7pm, so basically Lynn has one more start with us.